No announcement yet.

Picuntu on T-R42 - support for LAN/WiFi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ask wasser for his kernel source, get config from picuntu kernel and compile it. If it is some driver modification this will help, if not, compare 2 configs and see which option causes the problem.

Comment

I have experienced that same issues with a K-R42. Wasser's firmware works fine with the built-in ethernet port, while all Linux kernels I tried (and compiled) don't. Using wireshark I was able to see that either no or malformed packets go to the network.

I have found this thread

which discusses a buffer alignment issue with the RK29_VMAC driver (and a fix). Could this be the problem here? Unfortunately, kernel sources are beyond my capabilities...

Comment

Thanks for your input guys. It seems simply having a RJ45 jack does not necessarily mean it has a proper NIC I'll PM wasser to see if he will give me access to his kernel source and config so I can see what's different in android (other than fixing the mac address -possibly a red herring).

Failing that, I'm only half kidding when I say if anyone would like to purchase a gently used T-r42?

Comment

Originally posted by horstheinz View Post
          I have experienced that same issues with a K-R42. Wasser's firmware works fine with the built-in ethernet port, while all Linux kernels I tried (and compiled) don't. Using wireshark I was able to see that either no or malformed packets go to the network.

I have found this thread

which discusses a buffer alignment issue with the RK29_VMAC driver (and a fix). Could this be the problem here? Unfortunately, kernel sources are beyond my capabilities...
          It is not likey alligment problem, because same driver works perfectly on older hardware (e.g K-R42 V1 and dx05).

Comment

UPDATE

I've attached my current working kernel (for T-r42, may work on K-r42 as well) for use with Linuxium's ubuntu RFS booting from nand. The kernel was compiled from Linuxium's source (https://github.com/linuxium/3188-SRC-AP6210) with a modified config which turned off rkwifi and AP6210 chip and turned on RTL8188 wi-fi, ethernet and rk29_vmac driver.

At present the kernel boots, detects the interface and loads rk29 vmac driver. I've pursued two avenues
            1)Using Network Manager - setting up connection with dhcp -does not obtain ip address.
            -setting up static ip (both in and outside dhcp pool - with exception setup on router) and Network Manager reports connection established but no internet (cannot even ping) and network tools reports reception errors.
            2)By editing /etc/network/interfaces file - this allows me to set a static mac address. Dhcp stills doesn't work and similarly I if I set static ip, ifconfig reports settings applied correctly but same outcome as above - no internet (including using sudo) etc.
            I've tried every workaround I can find and modified the router settings without success. I've compared the source code for rk29 vmac from as many git sources as I have found and all are identical. I have not gotten replies to any requests for working android kernel sources to inspect those rk29 vmac drivers as the interface does work on Android.
            Anyone using a Linux (nand) install with RTL8201F chipset care to try my kernel and see if they can get working internet or is the driver just not compatible with Linux....I've ordered a usb lan adapter as I've taken years off my live with the frustration of this damn box.
            kernelfinal.zip
            Last edited by enrique66_35; 03-03-2014, 09:21. Reason: duplicate attachment

Comment

For completeness I've attached the config I used. I compiled a few variants so I'm only 99% sure this is the right one...

config.zip

Comment

Hi,

USB LAN with ASIX? Have you check that there exist already a ko or do you want to tinker?
                (BTW: If the ASIX will work, it really would be cheaper to spend this <10$ then your liftime and I think you will find many new frinds )

Greetings
                RK3288 Devices
                - Overview BOX (LINK !)
                - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
                Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
                  Hi,

USB LAN with ASIX? Have you check that there exist already a ko or do you want to tinker?
                  (BTW: If the ASIX will work, it really would be cheaper to spend this <10$ then your liftime and I think you will find many new frinds )

Greetings
                  I've no idea if it's supported (dumb I know) but was only one with micro usb that I could find. I have mouse and keyboard connected to full usb ports (I need a hub!). This is the one I ordered http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AKXE59...038051_TE_dp_1.

Knowing my luck so it's probably not supported and I'll have two LAN interfaces and still no internet!

I did some tinkering last night and it seems setting a static mac address in /etc/network/interfaces is ignored and network manager lists two mac addresses on reboot (the static one -unassigned and a new random one assigned to eth0). It also creates a new connection around the new mac address. As mentioned before if I edit connections to set static ip network manager says "connection established" but no internet
                  I think I've gone as far as I can with the kernel and either this is a network configuration issue (on the router) or the rk29 vmac driver is unable to function correctly in linux...

I'll wait till I get the usb adapter before tormenting myself further with this.....
                  Last edited by enrique66_35; 03-04-2014, 09:07. Reason: typo

Comment

But I think, it base on the "RD9700" chip, because of the 'Model No', with the really poor performance (~6Mbit/s)... http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post84734
                    (BTW: use a little 4 Port USB-hub)
                    RK3288 Devices
                    - Overview BOX (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                    Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                    Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                    Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

But I think, it base on the "RD9700" chip, because of the 'Model No', with the really poor performance (~6Mbit/s)... http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post84734
                      (BTW: use a little 4 Port USB-hub)
                      It looks like you were right so I found a similar device with the asix 88772 chip in it for less and ordered that too. I'm off work today and couldn't wait for that adapter to arrive in the post so I also bought a Wii lan adapter which has the asix chip in it.

Guess what, I'm posting using that adapter now!

It may still be possible to use the RTL8201F but my advice is either find a device with working network on ubuntu (other than a T-r42) or spend a few bucks on a usb adapter and a usb hub.

Comment

Congratulations...
                        plug and play?
                        or recompiling kernel?
                        or only have to load matching ko, and if yes, which?

PS:
                        lsusb
                        lsmod

Can you attach kernel and config?
                        Last edited by no_spam_for_me; 03-05-2014, 16:44.
                        RK3288 Devices
                        - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

Congratulations...
                          plug and play?
                          or recompiling kernel?
                          or only have to load matching ko, and if yes, which?

PS:
                          lsusb
                          lsmod

Can you attach kernel and config?
                          Yes, worked right out of the box
                          I had recompiled the kernel quite a bit but I've attached the one it's running on now and also the config I'm most confident I used (there are quite a few!). No need for ko as support is baked in - it's running on asix88772.
                          I'm not in front of it now so can't run lsusb or lsmod but I'm certain it's asix88772

I can't test it cause I don't have the chip but I'm pretty sure I included the RTL8188 trigger in the compile so the kernel should work for K-r42 wi-fi but as per usual flash at your own risk!!

On a side note, I experimented with loading rk29_vmac as module only (ie CONFIG_rk29_vmac=m) and turning on Realtek phy instead which just gave kernel panic so my conclusion is CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET needs RK29_VMAC or another ethernet driver. However rk29_vmac is unable to correctly control the RTL8201F chipset under ubuntu. I assume the same driver is used in android?

For the record the kernel was compiled from Linuxium source (linked in an earlier post).
                          Attached Files

Comment

I should mention the above attached kernel is for Linux running from nand only. Not to be used with Linuxium's dual boot as that runs Linux from sd card or usb with android on nand. It may be adapted for that purpose by re-compiling but that's not something that interests me.

Comment

BTW: I don't know, how you handle the start up of the kernel (via reboot? because then it seems to be like a warm boot (reboot)) and then perhaps this fix helps at your ethernet problem:

because linuxium-github does not include it...
                              RK3288 Devices
                              - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

BTW: I don't know, how you handle the start up of the kernel (via reboot? because then it seems to be like a warm boot (reboot)) and then perhaps this fix helps at your ethernet problem:

because linuxium-github does not include it...
                                https://github.com/linuxium/3188-SRC...rd-rk31-vmac.c
                                Interesting suggestion. What I assume you propose is to substitute the rk31-vmac.c from the first link into Linuxium's repo and re-compile the kernel. When I have some time I might try it out but right now I have a working USB LAN adapter so no motivation to tinker!

Comment

Working...
                                X