Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Archos Arnova in violation of GPL and work is in process to make them compliant!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

has there been any further progress in the matter of obtaining the source?

Comment

HaroldG, Bob, et al

For those of us not 'au fait' with what is exactly needed, what would be useful would be a standardised piece of text that we could all put in emails/letters explaining precisely (in detailed technical terms) what is wanted from Arnova/Archos and (in detailed legal terms) their legal obligation to supply it stating exactly what gpl licences they are breaking etc etc rather than just vague emails asking for the source code for the 10g2. personally i have several business (Cambridge University) and personal email addresses that i would use to ask then simply re-copy the email each time i send them a reminder asking why they hadnt replied to my request yet again. also any other emails such as one to the gpl licensing people to point out that this company is breaching the terms of what they are in place to enforce.

Making it easier for those of us not so knowledgable about source code/gpl licences would surely increase the amount of correspondance sent/pressure applied? I am sure there are plenty like me that want to help but not sure what to ask?

Jamie

Comment

Great idea Jamie !

Sent from Xperia Mini Pro ~ Android 4.0.4 ICS
        Please consider donating to purchase tablets for Finless Bob to continue his work. This will help in the creation of custom roms and build an even stronger development base for our community. Thank you for you support!

PLEASE CLICK THE DONATE BUTTON BELOW

<form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
        <input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_s-xclick">
        <input type="hidden" name="hosted_button_id" value="3GN5JFZXXQLCA">
        <input type="image" src="http://www.freaktab.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=565&d=1341333954&thumb =1" border="0" name="submit" alt="PayPal — The safer, easier way to pay online.">
        https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_GB/i/scr/pixel.gif
        </form>

Comment

If someone could write up the letter i will sent it to.

Blinky.

Sent via an Arnova 8G2 running a Finless ROM.

Comment

I will see if I can get something generic drafted up. Maybe Harold can help too.

Bob
            "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
            "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
            "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
            "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
            "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
            "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
            "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
            "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
            "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Lets go get them....

Bob, Harold,

Firstly, just wanted to say, well done to you both for all the time and effort you have put into this.

Personally, if and when we can get a draft email together to send to arnova AND gpl, I personally have multiple e-mail addresses that I can use in order that the powers that be can see that we ALL mean business, and wont be pushed aside.

Cheers
              Smeeghead

Comment

Originally posted by smeeghead View Post
                Bob, Harold,

Firstly, just wanted to say, well done to you both for all the time and effort you have put into this.

Personally, if and when we can get a draft email together to send to arnova AND gpl, I personally have multiple e-mail addresses that I can use in order that the powers that be can see that we ALL mean business, and wont be pushed aside.

Cheers
                Smeeghead
                A reliable source at Archos informs me the URL will be provided in the near future. I will post it when I receive it.
                Asus Transformer TF300T - ROOTED, with TWRP recovery and stock Jellybean
                HTC Rezound - ROOTED with S-OFF, running stock ICS
                Android obsessed since April 29, 2010

Comment

Way to go Harold!

I guess I better start studying how to compile kernels now

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                    Way to go Harold!

I guess I better start studying how to compile kernels now

Bob
                    Dude, I'll expect nothing less than Jelly Bean on the 10G2!
                    Asus Transformer TF300T - ROOTED, with TWRP recovery and stock Jellybean
                    HTC Rezound - ROOTED with S-OFF, running stock ICS
                    Android obsessed since April 29, 2010

Comment

Harold well done.

Seems the little guy can win against the big companies!

Sent from Xperia Mini Pro ~ Ics Android 4.0.4
                      Please consider donating to purchase tablets for Finless Bob to continue his work. This will help in the creation of custom roms and build an even stronger development base for our community. Thank you for you support!

PLEASE CLICK THE DONATE BUTTON BELOW

<form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
                      <input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_s-xclick">
                      <input type="hidden" name="hosted_button_id" value="3GN5JFZXXQLCA">
                      <input type="image" src="http://www.freaktab.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=565&d=1341333954&thumb =1" border="0" name="submit" alt="PayPal — The safer, easier way to pay online.">
                      https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_GB/i/scr/pixel.gif
                      </form>

Comment

Well done mate, about time we had some real results from them. Looking forward to a decent kernel, will really make these tabs fly then.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Whoop Whoop!

Well done harold,

at last we may be able to get some real development done on this

Cheers
                          smeeghead

Comment

Alas my friends... see my 2.2 Pro ROM post about this subject.

At this point it's kind of a dime short and a dollar late (is that the saying? ).
                            I am not sure I am going to spend more time on old hardware that is not even sold or available anymore! I think with my 2,1 and now my 2.2 Pro ROM, I have now taken the 10G2 and most any other G2 to the limits WITHOUT kernel sources!

So what would getting G2 sources do for us at this point really?
                            ICS? Jelly Bean? Naaaaa... the hardware just cannot deal with it. You will enjoy GingerComb far better than ICS leaving you with hardly any memeory to run apps.... Trust me... The G2 series is just not really capable! So in the end they won. It's too late now really if you think about it.

NOW lets see if they cough up the G3 sources! I bet that will be another long road and by the time they do, like the G2... It will be an "end of life" product and the ONLY reason they release sources is because they no longer care.

I see the game boys and girls... It is... product lasts 4-6 months IF THAT.... Drag feet on sources..... release when new product comes out. I AM SURE that is the game.

But lets see....

Sorry to be negative now after all we have been though together... But alas... I think this is the way it will be

Bob

Comment

Well bob if thats how it is then so be it, my 10g2 is so much better than stock with your roms but it will be the 1st and last Archos/Arnova product I will ever buy, next tablet for me will be Samsung or Google tab.Thanks again for all your work and to all the other guys who help out

Comment

I understand wanting to move on to bigger and better things. The 10 G2 may not be great with ICS but there are already apps like Chrome which require 4.0+ and Honeycomb is already pretty long in the tooth. If we can manage to get the sources, I'll have a crack at getting it to work. I haven't done any Android ROMs but I used to do WM6 ROMs the hard way (without a kitchen), I have some programming experience, and plenty of Linux experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X