PMID701i won't stay shut down - restarts itself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PMID701i won't stay shut down - restarts itself

Hi again everyone. Sorry to create yet another thread, but I'm having another issue with my new PMID701i.

It is running ICS with LiquidLimez's special superoneclick root and also LiquidLimez's market fix.

Here's the problem.

I can't keep the device shut down. Yes, it is unplugged. Whenever I use the power icon or the power button, EVEN if I do a hold-down-button force-shutdown, it starts itself back up after a couple of seconds.
    So if I want it off, all I can do is sleep it.

Has this happened to any of you? What is it about? How can I fix it?

yes this happened to me. I called SouthernTelecom, and they were going to have me send it in, but as it was less than a month old (at the time), and I still had the receipt, I took it back to Big Lots and they replaced with no questions asked (which I thought was awesome).

I don't know what caused it, and I didn't really investigate, but I was told by SouthernTelecom that they hadn't heard of this particular glitch yet.

Comment

One of my units did that too, I should have known when I took it out of the box and it was completely dead, all my others had some charge when first unboxed.
      it had some other issues too but that was the one I finally gave up and took it back for. I seem to remember that doing a full factory reset helped it work a little more consistently but it still wouldn't always shut down properly for me. You might want to try a full factory reset and see if it makes yours work OK before you give up on it. Now that I have a properly working I model I use it all the time and it will sit here in sleep mode for a couple of days if all I do is wake it up to check my mail and play some games occasionally. If you have had it less then 30 days just take it back and they'll trade you for another one but the older versions might be getting harder to find if you want the video out port that most I models have rather then a camera the newer version now replaced it with.

Comment

Originally posted by Dartman View Post
        If you have had it less then 30 days just take it back and they'll trade you for another one but the older versions might be getting harder to find if you want the video out port that most I models have rather then a camera the newer version now replaced it with.
        I cannot take it back because I ordered it on amazon from a private seller.
        If I set it to airplane mode, which I might do anyway most of the time, it seems to do OK sleeping and waking up and not losing battery.

If I do a factory reset, will my apps I've bought be accessible to re-install? Should I not once more apply the rooting and market fix?

Comment

Originally posted by cactusjack1717 View Post
          I cannot take it back because I ordered it on amazon from a private seller.
          If I set it to airplane mode, which I might do anyway most of the time, it seems to do OK sleeping and waking up and not losing battery.

If I do a factory reset, will my apps I've bought be accessible to re-install? Should I not once more apply the rooting and market fix?
          You'll have to backup everything you want to keep then restore or reinstall everything that isn't part of what originally came on the tablet out of the box. I now remember that mine would not allow me to do the soft factory reset that is in the system settings. I had to do the hard reset that you hold a few buttons when restarting then it resets itself back to how delivered status and all your installed goodies get erased.
          Good luck and I hope yours is just messed up a bit and that makes it happy as mine still was about 50/50 as far as shutting down properly but the hard reset fixed all the other problems it had. And yes after you decide it's working OK then do the rooting and market fix again.
          Worse comes to worse maybe you'll have to contact Polaroid and get them to replace it as I think they have a pretty good warranty on these.

Comment

Originally posted by Dartman View Post
            I had to do the hard reset that you hold a few buttons when restarting then it resets itself back to how delivered status and all your installed goodies get erased.
            I think I am returning it to the vendor. Can you tell me what the hard reset button combo is? I want to return it without the market fix and superuser visible (which they are after soft reset from "settings" menu).

Comment

OK, here's the thread with the instructions on how to do a factory recovery of your tablet http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...Sandwich/page4
              Go to post 73 and follow the instructions, it worked for my tablet that had the power issues and cleared everything back to stock with all my info gone.

Comment

If you plan on returning it and are going to have to do a factory reset anyways, why not try the factory reset and see if it fixes your problem and then go ahead and keep the tablet if it works fine. If the factory reset doesn't work, then return it. That's just my thought as returning things is annoying sometimes :P

I'd think the problem you're having is something random that a factory reset should and will fix. I've had some strange strange issues on regular computers that a basic computer reboot fixed, I'm talking some crazy weird stuff that a simple restart/reboot fixed lol. (i've been in the tech field for 17 years) I've seen alot :P

Comment

Originally posted by diabls View Post
                  If you plan on returning it and are going to have to do a factory reset anyways, why not try the factory reset and see if it fixes your problem and then go ahead and keep the tablet if it works fine. If the factory reset doesn't work, then return it. That's just my thought as returning things is annoying sometimes :P
                  Yep. already did a soft reset - didn't clear up the rooting stuff I'd done. I did however flash the device with the manufacturer's stock ROM. it cleared up everything EXCEPT the autostartup issue. must be a hardware problem.

Comment

Originally posted by cactusjack1717 View Post
                    Yep. already did a soft reset - didn't clear up the rooting stuff I'd done. I did however flash the device with the manufacturer's stock ROM. it cleared up everything EXCEPT the autostartup issue. must be a hardware problem.
                    It must be something strange, maybe the power button is jammed or something.. Goodluck returning it and getting another one, I was hoping a factory reset would fix your issue, hope you can find one to return and replace it with. I live in state that is pretty small and everywhere was sold out. I found some at kohl's but they were the PTAB7XC models (a little different, but still the same besides some of the hardware setup) Mine doesn't have TV out, but it does have a front facing camera but performs the same as the other models it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by diabls View Post
                      Goodluck returning it and getting another one, I was hoping a factory reset would fix your issue
                      Thanks! I was hoping too. but it looks like I'm getting a galaxy 2 anyhow, instead of replacing this polaroid. One gets what one pays for, and after playing with android and seeing what I'm missing from the experience, I decided to try a more stable, shall we say, tablet.

Comment

Working...
                      X