Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TWRP Recovery with UBIFS Support For Amlogic Nextbook Tablets (Support Thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jimlitwiller
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
    It volume- on that model, but yes, it sounds like you've done everything correctly.

Verify your ro.product.board entry in your build.prop file matches.

Assuming it does, try it again... power down completely, then power on while holding down the volume- key until recovery starts.

If it still doesn't work, try redownloading the file.

If it still doesn't work, post a copy of your stock build.prop file.

ShaunMT
    Well... Got it to work on my Samsung SD card, but not on the PNY SD card. Wonder why? For some reason it just doesn't want to pick up the file. No others similar files on the card. Tried deleting it then pasting it back on several different times, still no luck. If I didn't have so much other junk on there I would try reformatting it. The main thing is, it works! Thanks for the help.

Leave a comment:

• shaunmt
    replied
    Originally posted by jimlitwiller View Post
    I have nx007hd8g. I have downloaded and opened the proper zip file for my model. I copied and pasted the uImage_recovery file to the root menu of my ext sd card. I assume upon a reboot while holding the volume key up it should boot the recovery file, however it will only boot into stock recover 3e. Am I missing something simple here? I have tried two separate ext sd cards with the same result. From reading the threads here (many many many times) it should check the ext sd card first before booting stock recovery. Is that correct. Oh, by the way, I am rooted. Did so with cydia impactor and installed SuperSU. Rooting with Cydia was the easiest root I've done for android. Thanks for the wonderful forums. Very informative stuff...
    It volume- on that model, but yes, it sounds like you've done everything correctly.

Verify your ro.product.board entry in your build.prop file matches.

Assuming it does, try it again... power down completely, then power on while holding down the volume- key until recovery starts.

If it still doesn't work, try redownloading the file.

If it still doesn't work, post a copy of your stock build.prop file.

ShaunMT

Leave a comment:

• jimlitwiller
    replied
    Only boots into stock 3e recovery

I have nx007hd8g. I have downloaded and opened the proper zip file for my model. I copied and pasted the uImage_recovery file to the root menu of my ext sd card. I assume upon a reboot while holding the volume key up it should boot the recovery file, however it will only boot into stock recover 3e. Am I missing something simple here? I have tried two separate ext sd cards with the same result. From reading the threads here (many many many times) it should check the ext sd card first before booting stock recovery. Is that correct. Oh, by the way, I am rooted. Did so with cydia impactor and installed SuperSU. Rooting with Cydia was the easiest root I've done for android. Thanks for the wonderful forums. Very informative stuff...

Leave a comment:

• shaunmt
    replied
    Originally posted by MoeFoh View Post
    Will TRWP be able to make a complete backup of a system that is unrooted?
    I ask because it could be useful on a brand new tablet for backing up the virgin stock rom.

MoeFoh
    TWRP works the same rooted or not... so yes, it will get the virgin stock system folder, however it never backs up the bootloader or logo partitions... it only backs up the boot image, recovery image, system, data and cache partitions. This is enough to make a ROM, but you need the bootloader to recover from a hard brick.

ShaunMT

Leave a comment:

• MoeFoh
    replied
    TWRP (stock rom backup with no root)

Will TRWP be able to make a complete backup of a system that is unrooted?
    I ask because it could be useful on a brand new tablet for backing up the virgin stock rom.

MoeFoh

Leave a comment:

• shaunmt
    replied
    I noticed that TWRP renamed the backup recovery file in the /system dir to *.BAK on my Nextbook tablet.

MoeFoh
    Yeah, I just noticed that a few minutes as well... CWM did something similar, but it asked if you wanted it to or not, TWRP just does it without asking...

ShaunMT

Leave a comment:

• MoeFoh
    replied
    Probably... I'm just starting to work on non Amlogic devices since I picked up the new Nextbook NX785QC8G which is a RockChip RK3188 device. I rooted it with Kingo root. I can either DD the partitions from terminal or ADB or I can use the RKFlash tool with it, but the android SDK fastboot.exe would probably work also.

Also, be aware that many stock ROMs include a script in the that runs during boot, which checksums the recovery partition, and if it doesn't match the stock recovery checksum, it reinstalls the stock recovery before booting the Android system.
    ShaunMT
    I noticed that TWRP renamed the backup recovery file in the /system dir to *.BAK on my Nextbook tablet.

MoeFoh

Leave a comment:

• shaunmt
    replied
    Would fastboot.exe from a pc cmd prompt work?

MoeFoh
    Probably... I'm just starting to work on non Amlogic devices since I picked up the new Nextbook NX785QC8G which is a RockChip RK3188 device. I rooted it with Kingo root. I can either DD the partitions from terminal or ADB or I can use the RKFlash tool with it, but the android SDK fastboot.exe would probably work also.

Also, be aware that many stock ROMs include a script in the that runs during boot, which checksums the recovery partition, and if it doesn't match the stock recovery checksum, it reinstalls the stock recovery before booting the Android system.

ShaunMT

Leave a comment:

• MoeFoh
    replied
    On a non-amlogic based device, getting recovery installed internally requires either root access, insecure ADB access, or a factory style flash tool that can flash the device in fastboot mode.

ShaunMT
    Would fastboot.exe from a pc cmd prompt work?

MoeFoh

Leave a comment:

• shaunmt
    replied
    (non-amlogic nextbook tablet)
    How would you flash TWRP to the recovery partition if you don't have root yet? Fastboot or ADB, maybe? Seems like a catch 22.

MoeFoh
    On a non-amlogic based device, getting recovery installed internally requires either root access, insecure ADB access, or a factory style flash tool that can flash the device in fastboot mode.

ShaunMT

Leave a comment:

• MoeFoh
    replied
    TWRP (recovery partition)

(non-amlogic nextbook tablet)
    How would you flash TWRP to the recovery partition if you don't have root yet? Fastboot or ADB, maybe? Seems like a catch 22.

MoeFoh

Leave a comment:

• shaunmt
    replied
    Will TRWP be able to flash the Kyser root package on ANY Nextbook tablet?
    If so, it seems to me this would be a stellar way to root your tablet.
    Having the recovery boot from the external sd card is an awesome feature.
    Is this feature unique to the AMLogic SoC?

MoeFoh

The kyser_root package should work on ANY tablet that uses a UBIFS file system, which includes all of the Amlogic based Nextbooks and is definitely the easiest way to root all of those models. It does require a custom recovery though, as the stock recoveries can only install packages created by Nextbook.

Yes, booting from external SD card is a feature unique to the Amlogic SOC, and it is an awesome feature!

ShaunMT

Leave a comment:

• MoeFoh
    replied
    TRWP and Rooting...

Will TRWP be able to flash the Kyser root package on ANY Nextbook tablet?
    If so, it seems to me this would be a stellar way to root your tablet.
    Having the recovery boot from the external sd card is an awesome feature.
    Is this feature unique to the AMLogic SoC?

MoeFoh

Leave a comment:

• shaunmt
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackKnight330 View Post
    O sry its the next7p12-8g
    I don't have one of those, but they are all pretty similar...

Leave a comment:

• BlackKnight330
    replied
    O sry its the next7p12-8g

Leave a comment:

Working...
X