Power problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power problem?

I used a power cable with a higher voltage on my Minix X7, and now the system doesn't power up anymore. Is there anything that can still be done?

Originally posted by sdspieg View Post
    I used a power cable with a higher voltage on my Minix X7, and now the system doesn't power up anymore. Is there anything that can still be done?
    Not if you burned it out...

Comment

Originally posted by rdsok View Post
      Not if you burned it out...
      So there is no power unit inside that can be replaced or anything?

Comment

Originally posted by sdspieg View Post
        So there is no power unit inside that can be replaced or anything?
        The power supply you plug into it IS the power unit... after that, there are the electronics that it is plugged into. The factory is likely to have electronics techs capable of fixing it if you sent it in... but the labor costs may end up exceeding the cost of the unit... of course you won't know it until it is tested.

You should never replace the power supply with a unit that provides more voltage than the device is meant to have... this has always been true with any electronics. Most only have a limited percentage of tolerance

Comment

absolutely right -->> always use a powerunit with EXACT the same settings as voltage ...... and so on
          NEVER EVER use a powerunit with higher voltage or ampere oO
          in my opinion your minix is now in heaven :C
          iam sry 4 u
          the moment when ur minix is burning by the other powerunit u wont recognize it (my english is terrible ^^)
          u wont hear a "splaaaasssh" or "bang" -> no sound at all or clicking ;D
          try to find a powerunit which has EXACT the same settings like the minixpowerunit and test if the minix will run again.
          if not ->>> iam sry 4 u

Comment

Actually... you can use one that can provide higher amperage... a device will only pull as many amps as it requires and having a supply that can provide more won't hurt anything.... but when it comes to voltage that is another matter and it can/will damage components.

The basic rules for replacement power supplies...

amperage - requires the same or more amperage... less often means the device won't be able to work properly

voltage - always use the same voltage... not more or less

Comment

12V Power Supply...

I should have been more careful but i wasn't and I used a 12V power supply by accident and now my unit won't power up either...

Is there no overvoltage protection built into these devices?

I am assuming that it done but maybe someone has come across this and fixed it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X