No announcement yet.

Easiest way to try Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the t428 I can say it had reasonable speed. Shower than my laptop, but very workable
    Certainly it works fine as a server of all sorts, which is where I'm using it for. It replaces a RPI server which was too slow.

Originally posted by Pike of the Lake View Post
    Thank you so much! This is finally a working copy of linux for my mk908ii.

One thing I'm noticing is that it is extremely slow. It took about 15 minutes to install VLC player. Is this to be expected?

Comment

I have it boot up not problem, and it is great. I was wondering if there is some way to get a more recent version of linux up and running this way? First, does it have to be arm based, and it should be armhf right. Second, are there more distros of linux that can be made to boot this way? I love using Mint, but pretty sure it will not work this way. Third, only img files right? No iso or anything else will work this way? Thanks.

Comment

Hey, this works great on my SD card!

I have one issue though, and it's a linux issue.

How can I get a touch screen monitor to work with this Linux release?

When I connect my touch screen, it accepts touch inputs as Left Click, but I can't drag anything because if I hold my finger down on the screen it rapidly clicks. I've looked all over the internet and I can't find anything similar so I'm wondering if it's something with the kernel.

Any ideas how to stop it from clicking 100 times when I press and hold the screen?
        Last edited by zero_x12; 07-09-2014, 00:19.
        RKM MK802 IV Stick (RK3188T 2G/8G)

Comment

NAND image

Is there anyone who can convert these sd images to NAND ones?

Comment

R: Easiest way to try Linux

Originally posted by xpanda View Post
            Look at ian morrison linux multiboot

Comment

Try this site here:

These are img files and work on my 809iii, well except for wifi, but I have the rtl8723bs chip, and nothing works on those ones yet. There is a text file in the zip and it reads as follows;

Note for radxa_rock_ubuntu_desktop_140315_update.img:

* This is an "update.img", flash it with
              - RKBatchTool (Windows)
              - upgrade_tool uf /path/to/radxa_rock_ubuntu_desktop_140315_update.img (Linux)
              For more information about flashing: http://wiki.radxa.com/Rock/flash_the_image

* After flashing, the first time booting up, it will expand the rootfs to the whole NAND flash.

* Password for user rock is rock, for user root is root.

Like I said, worked for me except for wifi. It uses the lxde desktop environment. If you want to look around to see what else the site has, just click the parent directory at the top and you can move around in this area. Some interesting stuff to be found in here.

Comment

I tried all NAND images posted by him, but either no booting or no wifi. This is only image perfectly working, but 33% of success in booting up as I mentioned above. That's why I want to convert it to NAND one. Mine is "transmart mk908ii."

Originally posted by grzmrc View Post
                Look at ian morrison linux multiboot

Comment

That is one I have already tried. It booted up without any problem, but there was no wifi which was very essential to me.

Originally posted by sudros View Post
                  Try this site here:

These are img files and work on my 809iii, well except for wifi, but I have the rtl8723bs chip, and nothing works on those ones yet. There is a text file in the zip and it reads as follows;

Note for radxa_rock_ubuntu_desktop_140315_update.img:

* This is an "update.img", flash it with
                  - RKBatchTool (Windows)
                  - upgrade_tool uf /path/to/radxa_rock_ubuntu_desktop_140315_update.img (Linux)
                  For more information about flashing: http://wiki.radxa.com/Rock/flash_the_image

* After flashing, the first time booting up, it will expand the rootfs to the whole NAND flash.

* Password for user rock is rock, for user root is root.

Like I said, worked for me except for wifi. It uses the lxde desktop environment. If you want to look around to see what else the site has, just click the parent directory at the top and you can move around in this area. Some interesting stuff to be found in here.

Comment

That is one I have already tried. It booted up without any problem, but there was no wifi which was very essential to me.
                    It was my only issue as well. If only they would just leave a little more driver info in the img file and not cut it down so far, it might be better. But other then that, it was working well...

Comment

On minix X7 wifi didn't work. How can I enable wifi?

Comment

So I'm trying to follow this [ http://lii-enac.fr/en/architecture/l...ntu-howto.html ] to add multitouch support.

However I can't even get the "git clone" command to work. Is there anyone with a touch screen that knows how to do this? I really need some help. Thanks.
                        RKM MK802 IV Stick (RK3188T 2G/8G)

Comment

Minix Neo X7 image now updated to include wifi

I've just updated the Minix Neo X7 image to include wifi - simply download from the above original link, unzip and copy the image to an SD card as before.

Comment

Typo in resize command

There's a typo in the OP ... the resize command should be "sudo resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0p1" and not "sudo reseize2fs /dev/mmcblk0p1" otherwise you'll get "sudo: resize2fs: command not found"... oops!

Comment

Originally posted by linuxium View Post
                              I've just updated the Minix Neo X7 image to include wifi - simply download from the above original link, unzip and copy the image to an SD card as before.
                              The sdcard image "Rikomagic MK802IV New (AP6210)" is working well on my tronsmart mk908ii. Why is the NAND image for the same device posted in "http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?7209-Now-available-Ubuntu-Lubuntu-or-Xubuntu-on-the-latest-MK802IV-or-T428&highlight=Rikomagic+MK802IV" not working and even not booting at all on tronsmart mk908ii? If you could explain to me, I will really appreciate.

Comment

The sdcard image "Rikomagic MK802IV New (AP6210)" is working well on my tronsmart mk908ii. Why is the NAND image for the same device posted in "http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?7209-Now-available-Ubuntu-Lubuntu-or-Xubuntu-on-the-latest-MK802IV-or-T428&highlight=Rikomagic+MK802IV" not working and even not booting at all on tronsmart mk908ii? If you could explain to me, I will really appreciate.
                                I do not own a Tronsmart MK908II. Typically kernels are board/dongle dependent. I develop for devices I own. YMMV with anything else. I provide source and instructions to enable anyone interested to tailor to specific devices. I want to be helpful but sometimes help becomes requests and sometimes requests become demands. So simply I'm happy (and only able) to help with what I've published which also represents the best devices available today.

Comment

Working...
                                X