Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mk902II troubles

Hello,
    i just received my mk902II and ran into some troubles.
    It is connected to a 4k HDMI 2.0 TV(3D). The TV is also connected with ARC to an all decoder AV Amp.
    So in theory i should be able to have 4k@60Hz and watch HEVC 4k movies with DTS master audio sound... Well ... Only in theory ...

Here is a list of what i ran into:
    - max resolution in setup is 4k@30Hz
    - can't get an HEVC movie at more than 1FPS
    - can't play a 3D bluray iso in interlaced mode (full frame) with xmbc
    - can't even play a 3d bluray iso with side by side or top bottom with xmbc then reassembled by my TV
    - can't get the ethernet working !
    - can't output more than stereo sound even with passthrough option
    - chrome browser size is 1280x720
    - official youtube app is limited to ... 720p
    - android icons/scale doesn't look like 4k ...

is anybody having the same troubles or have any advices ?
    Last edited by DarkCyrix; 08-15-2014, 21:53.

Welcome to a new BOX that has just been released!

Rikomagic is a great company BUT they also should be aware of the RockChip reference board changes that are still in process!

I would hate to see another AMLogic S802 debacle like what happened but it appears we are going to see this happen again with RockChip 3288 board changes going on right now.

These companies want to get product out FAST and be the first! Alas, many times it is not ready to be released yet because the makers of the chip and ref boards really are not done! This is the China product cycle! YOU ARE BETA testers!

I can tell you that if you buy now you "could" possibly be stuck in the past as the board rev's change in hardware and nothing software can do to fix it. THIS is exactly what happened with the S802 platform in the last 2 months... Users that bought early got screwed!

But hey.... I like new tech and I buy right away too! Because I like it.... So if you are one of those people HAVE AT IT!
    But if you want something that works out of the box to your expectations, THAT NEVER HAS HAPPENED WITH ANY ROCKCHIP PRODUCT SINCE I HAVE BEEN DOING ROMS! It takes about 4-6 months to settle down and become stable (depends on what some call stable too!).

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCyrix View Post
      Hello,
      It is connected to a 4k HDMI 2.0 TV(3D). The TV is also connected with ARC to an all decoder AV Amp.
      So in theory i should be able to have 4k@60Hz and watch HEVC 4k movies with DTS master audio sound... Well ... Only in theory ...

- can't even play a 3d bluray iso with side by side or top bottom with xmbc then reassembled by my TV

Hi, do you have issues with netflix?

I have also notice something weird with the ethernet, I get 30Mb down, and just 2-3 up, should be 40/60... thats what I have on a old mk802...

Hope finless creates a better rom, and all bugs are firmware/software only :-)

Comment

Hello,

I also have RK3288 tv box from other vendor and got the same issues.

1. The max resolution is 4k@30Hz
        2. 1 gig ethernet shows very poor performance slower than WiFi.
        3. no pass through only pcm 2ch
        4. I could play 3D iso in 2d since xmbc does not support mvc codec yet.

I heard the 4k resolution support at Android UI is done via upscaling from 1080p. If you look at the icons or images at 4k@30Hz, it's exact the same one that you see from 1080p 60Hz.

Btw, HEVC 4k was fine when running the default video player while xbmc is not optimized for rk3288 and shows slow frames.

It's not about the Rikomagic MK902II. I'm saying in general, the firmware is premature now.

Comment

Yes I know this is still in dev and I might have to get a new one in several month, when all my points are fixed.
          For now I'll try to get as much as I can with this one.
          The first thing I'll try is to build an App to get "something" in 4k with java or Unity because i'm thinking too that the box is only upscaling 1080 or 720 for now.
          I'll let u know.
          Btw, HEVC 4k was fine when running the default video player while xbmc is not optimized for rk3288 and shows slow frames.
          Wich player is the default player ? And do you have a link with the working HEVC file?
          Last edited by DarkCyrix; 08-16-2014, 08:31.

Comment

Yes I know this is still in dev and I might have to get a new one in several month, when all my points are fixed.
            For now I'll try to get as much as I can with this one.
            The first thing I'll try is to build an App to get "something" in 4k with java or Unity because i'm thinking too that the box is only upscaling 1080 or 720 for now.
            I'll let u know.

Wich player is the default player ? And do you have a link with the working HEVC file?
            The icon named 'video' is the video player that Rockchip provided to the manufacturer.

You can d/l some from the following link but I haven't personally tested them with my tv box. I tested other sources.
            Professional software products for video analysis and monitoring, IPTV solutions, digital broadcasting and video streaming, transcoding and VOD-servers.
            Last edited by freebits; 08-16-2014, 14:48.

Comment

Originally posted by freebits View Post
              The icon named 'video' is the video player that Rockchip provided to the manufacturer.

You can d/l some from the following link but I haven't personally tested them with my tv box. I tested other sources.
              http://www.elecard.com/en/download/videos.html
              I tried every 4k video on this site, the player keeps saying he can't read the file

I made another test, I made an app that displays the current resolution, it shows "1920x1080" in 1080p60 and in 2160p30.
              So there is no real 4k the device juste upscales the buffer before sending it through HDMI ...

Comment

I tried every 4k video on this site, the player keeps saying he can't read the file

I made another test, I made an app that displays the current resolution, it shows "1920x1080" in 1080p60 and in 2160p30.
                So there is no real 4k the device juste upscales the buffer before sending it through HDMI ...
                Some old android tv box got 720p UI and upscaled it to 1080p. The same goes to the RK3288? lol.
                They claimed the UI is 720p but the playing movie is in real 1080p resolution.

This RK3288 actually can't display 4k image files in native resolution. It seems first downscales the 4k image to 1080p and upscales it to 3840x2160 again thus the 4k resolution of image file loses its detail.
                I tested and confirmed. Maybe different if we get newer firmware?

Comment

I have another problem:
                  My rkm is on HDMI 2 of my TV, if I switch TV to HDMI 1 in order to watch TV, then come back to HDMI 2, the screen is black (there is a signal) then I can't get the image back, even if I put the rkm to sleep with the power button of the remote before switching channel

Comment

I have another problem:
                    My rkm is on HDMI 2 of my TV, if I switch TV to HDMI 1 in order to watch TV, then come back to HDMI 2, the screen is black (there is a signal) then I can't get the image back, even if I put the rkm to sleep with the power button of the remote before switching channel
                    I had similar hdmi sync issues alot. I had to re-plug the hdmi or changed to another port in the TV.
                    rockchip should fix this, too.

Comment

I came to a temporary workaround with these syncs issues that works ... most of the time :/
                      I use a Logitech Harmony One+ Universal Remote (which is really great btw).
                      I installed 3 apps :
                      - "Reboot" (the one with the crappiest icon) which instantly reboot the box.
                      - "Press It!": You can bind an app to a double tap on power button
                      - "Startup Manager": Load an app on startup.

So i put "Reboot" on the double tap of power button, and add Press It! on startup.
                      On my remote, I change the "power button" code to nothing (to avoid regular on/off) and put the real power button code to a new virtual button, "rpow"
                      Then I ask my remote to launch a doubletap to rpow each time i switch to my RKM (after a few seconds).

Then my RKM reboot and get manage to sync the HDMI !

Sometime the box won't reboot properly and I don't know why

Comment

Now I got Rikomagic MK902II so I can officially test two models of RK3288 tv box.

Comment

Hi,
                          I would like to use MK902II with some disro of linux. I'm not familiar with Android, because I want to combine TV box and server functions.

Performance:

Main frequency of Cortex-A17 is up to 1.8GHZ. But what is the frequency of each core? It is only 1.8 / 4 = 450 MHz? How strong is Cortex-A17 in single thread application?

I'm now using overclocked single core Raspberry Pi on 950 MHz. Raspberry Pi streams HD live TV from USB DVB-S2 satellite tuner and CPU load is about 80 - 90 %. So it is on maximum possible load, but it is working. Streamserver is linux tvheadend.

Is possible stream HD TV with Cortex-A17 too?

Can someone compare real single thread performance between Cortex-A17 and Raspberry Pi?

Data transfer:

Has each USB port separate controller? Or MK902II has only one controller with USB HUB? It is important for copying data from one USB hdd to other... What is real speed of copying between two USB ports? Has MK902II dedicated LAN port or it is shared with something else (for example with USB like on Raspberry Pi)? Has it real gigabit LAN? Can I realy copy file through LAN to first USB drive ~40MB/s and to second USB drive ~40MB/s at the same time?

Comment

BTW: at USB2.0 you will never reach 40MB/s... the max available data-throughput at USB2.0 is netto ~250Mbit/s => ~ 30MB/s

I don't know the SoC layout of rk3288, but at rk3188 the use 2 Ports, one for OTG and one for USB and of cause at the USB there exist a USB-HUB-chip... so I think (of cause not sure) they use the same way at rk3288...
                            If you use the OTG for one HDD and USB for another HDD you will get the best performance...

At rk3188 they use a kind of ethernet (VMAC) direct at the SoC, but there also exist PCB's with USB to ethernet (e.g. asixs)...
                            RK3288 Devices
                            - Overview BOX (LINK !)
                            - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                            UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
                            Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                            Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                            Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

I have another problem, at first I thought it was XBMC related but it happens in every app: The sound stops working for 10s every 5 minutes

Yes it's a bit annoying while watching a movie :/

Comment

Working...
                              X