Box started on fire when plugging in otg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Box started on fire when plugging in otg

Like the title says, idk if there is a thread already about this or if its happened to anyone else so sorry if there's a thread about this crazy occurrence.

So I was downloading the latest beta and I thought I would go ahead and use the flash tool to flash it.. Instead of just flashing from SD.

Fired (no pun intended up the software and loaded the beta image ..
    Turned off the MINIX like the instructions said. Pulled out the power to make sure, then plugged it back in.
    Had the otg cable attached to my laptop first and then I plugged it into the MINIX and as soon as it was in, sparks galore, AMD then actual flames started shooting out of the otg cable port while the cable was still in and the box was in my hand. I immediately pulled the cord out not caring if I get shocked or what, and done. Killed my electronics in a matter of seconds

PC burned out. It was my only computer my family owns.
    MINIX burned out completely too.

Hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.

I

UPDATE: MINIX have contacted me and want to actively investigate the cause of the box. They've asked me to send the box to them and the paid shipping and have replaced my box. Great customer service and were very thorough with me in asking questions and studying pictures.
    I never asked them for a new box, they offered. Thanks to ray and John for their service as well. Great bunch of folks with a great business ethic.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cuezaireekaa; 10-08-2014, 11:18.

Originally posted by cuezaireekaa View Post
    Like the title says, idk if there is a thread already about this or if its happened to anyone else so sorry if there's a thread about this crazy occurrence.

So I was downloading the latest beta and I thought I would go ahead and use the flash tool to flash it.. Instead of just flashing from SD.

Fired (no pun intended up the software and loaded the beta image ..
    Turned off the MINIX like the instructions said. Pulled out the power to make sure, then plugged it back in.
    Had the otg cable attached to my laptop first and then I plugged it into the MINIX and as soon as it was in, sparks galore, AMD then actual flames started shooting out of the otg cable port while the cable was still in and the box was in my hand. I immediately pulled the cord out not caring if I get shocked or what, and done. Killed my electronics in a matter of seconds

PC burned out. It was my only computer my family owns.
    MINIX burned out completely too.

Hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.

I can't believe I was just trying to update and I almost stated a fire and electrocuted myself.

Sucks to be me.

That is a strange one. Your laptop USB port is only 5 volts at 500 miliamps. Your power to your android box is 5 volts at 2 amps. Did you open the android box or laptop to find the cause? Very interesting.
    MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Re: Box started on fire when plugging in otg

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post
      That is a strange one. Your laptop USB port is only 5 volts at 500 miliamps. Your power to your android box is 5 volts at 2 amps. Did you open the android box or laptop to find the cause? Very interesting.
      I didn't open either one yet. But the flames were huge when i put the otg cable in it. Like a firework. and it sparked about three or four times in that quick momentI had the cord in. Was a little scared to pull it out but didn't have time to think. Just reacted and pulled the cord out. Bunch of loud sparks/crackles

I have no idea what I did. No liqud s at all and the laptop was an older one from like 2009.

Comment

I will get in Contact with Minix to see how we can Fix this Issiue.

Regards
        Ray

Comment

I was gonna open up the box but I'm afraid I don't know too much about the hardware, but im positive it doesn't power on anymore.
          My PC light turns on but that's as far as that goes too.

The flames were pretty big so I think it totally burned up both devices. Ouch how embarrassing. . I've never seen anything like this.

I'm not sure how MINIX would fix my issue but I'm willing to try anything. And i mean anything, even if i have to take it apart or whatever. This was my favorite box for a while now.
          I don't have anything anymore as far as computer devices. . Glad I still have my phone to communicate with. Better than going to the library for a puter. I don't have too many friends and even less that own a computer.. I know.
          Thank you very much neomode for your concern and help. I really didn't do anything out of the ordinary. I was only trying to update my firmware. That's the honest truth.

Thank you again for any thing you or MINIX could help me out with and sorry for such long posts guys. I'm just really tore up about it but I'm not blaming anyone at all. I have no idea how this happened. I was very careful.

. If I can get it running again I would be so happy. I used my MINIX everyday and loved it. I miss it already.

Thank you Ray

Comment

I didn't open either one yet. But the flames were huge when i put the otg cable in it. Like a firework. and it sparked about three or four times in that quick momentI had the cord in. Was a little scared to pull it out but didn't have time to think. Just reacted and pulled the cord out. Bunch of loud sparks/crackles

I have no idea what I did. No liqud s at all and the laptop was an older one from like 2009.

I was an industrial electrician for over 30 years working on everything from 13K volts to millivolts. This problem has me intrigued, and been racking my brain on how this could happen. From my understanding all OTG ports have to have a fuse to protect the device. Since the flames came from your Android device after plugging in the OTC cable, the short has to be in the box. If this is the case, your laptop should be OK. I would think that the worst case for you laptop would be that the USB port would be non functional now. Could you give your laptop another try to see if anything works?

I will be spending all day thinking about this problem. Please keep us updated.
            MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

I was an industrial electrician for over 30 years working on everything from 13K volts to millivolts. This problem has me intrigued, and been racking my brain on how this could happen. From my understanding all OTG ports have to have a fuse to protect the device. Since the flames came from your Android device after plugging in the OTC cable, the short has to be in the box. If this is the case, your laptop should be OK. I would think that the worst case for you laptop would be that the USB port would be non functional now. Could you give your laptop another try to see if anything works?

I will be spending all day thinking about this problem. Please keep us updated.
              Hi, sure as soon as I get home I will definitely try the laptop again.

I'll try another outlet too.
              It didn't smell burnt when I checked the laptop but of course the box smelt bad. it even had black all around the otg port like when an outlet has a short.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Hi, sure as soon as I get home I will definitely try the laptop again.

I'll try another outlet too.
                It didn't smell burnt when I checked the laptop but of course the box smelt bad. it even had black all around the otg port like when an outlet has a short.

Thanks for your help!

The only thing that makes logical sense is that the short was internal to your box. The metal on OTG cable connector had to touch something inside of your box that was from the power cable. If that is the case, your laptop should be fine.

Comment

Also this low a voltage (5V) and amp rating (max supplied is 3 amps but not to the USB port!) has me very perplexed how flames could shoot out!

Bob
                  "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
                  "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
                  "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
                  "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
                  "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
                  "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
                  "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
                  "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
                  "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

I'm don't know too much about electricity and ohms law but seriously flames came out of the otg port while the cable was in for those short couple of seconds. It was wild. A bunch of sparks and popping too. Only thing I had plugged in was HDMI. Keyboard dongle and remote dongle and or course power supply. Glad I removed my harddrive.

When I told my pops about what happened (he was an electrical background) he couldn't understand it also. He says a short Had to begin the box though.
                    I'm just as confused guys because it wasn't like I was plugging in the power supply, it was just the otg cable. Eek.

But I'm not exaggerating at all, that flame shot right up right after the first crackle and then a couple more pops and then it was just smoke so I yanked the halfway inserted cable out and then power cable. I never expected this to happen either.

@clarkss12 I tried my laptop and the power light turns on and then flashes a couple times but the laptop just doesn't start back up. No fans or anything.
                    I'm wondering if it could be possible the PC pushed electricity to the box through the otg cable. could that actually be possible? I have no idea

Thanks again for the concern guys. Freaktab has some great folks here. And some great moderator's/administrators who are very compassionate and empathetic. Thank you neomode aka ray and Bob and the rest of the team.
                    Sent from my SM-N900T

Comment

I'm don't know too much about electricity and ohms law but seriously flames came out of the otg port while the cable was in for those short couple of seconds. It was wild. A bunch of sparks and popping too. Only thing I had plugged in was HDMI. Keyboard dongle and remote dongle and or course power supply. Glad I removed my harddrive.

When I told my pops about what happened (he was an electrical background) he couldn't understand it also. He says a short Had to begin the box though.
                      I'm just as confused guys because it wasn't like I was plugging in the power supply, it was just the otg cable. Eek.

But I'm not exaggerating at all, that flame shot right up right after the first crackle and then a couple more pops and then it was just smoke so I yanked the halfway inserted cable out and then power cable. I never expected this to happen either.

@clarkss12 I tried my laptop and the power light turns on and then flashes a couple times but the laptop just doesn't start back up. No fans or anything.
                      I'm wondering if it could be possible the PC pushed electricity to the box through the otg cable. could that actually be possible? I have no idea

Thanks again for the concern guys. Freaktab has some great folks here. And some great moderator's/administrators who are very compassionate and empathetic. Thank you neomode aka ray and Bob and the rest of the team.
                      Sent from my SM-N900T
                      If the short was in your android box it should not have affected your laptop. Also the power plug for your laptop is usually 12 volts, but only 5 volts at the USB port. I just can't think of anything that would cause that kind of spark.

Comment

If the short was in your android box it should not have affected your laptop. Also the power plug for your laptop is usually 12 volts, but only 5 volts at the USB port. I just can't think of anything that would cause that kind of spark.
                        Agree... even directly shorting the USB +5 and ground would not cause any sparks! The amperage is just not there.,...

Something is WAY different here...

Only way to see that is the board must have shorted the 5V 3 AMP power supply input directly at the USB port of the Minix box... Even then... flames shooting out is.... well.... not normal for these kinds of amperages....

A box frying due to a short I can understand as capacitors etc would and could cause flames but the board is not designed that way.... It would have to be a major F'up at the board level to even do that... QA at the factory would and should have caught anything like that

Bob
                        "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
                        "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
                        "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
                        "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
                        "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
                        "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
                        "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
                        "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
                        "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

I wish I knew what happened. It sounds almost impossible what has happened to me since you professionals know what's going on within the internals. So there had to be something else going on like Bob said. What, I have no idea and don't know if I'll ever know but I will probably be scared the first few seconds I attempt to plug another otg cable into a USB or box again haha. I wish there was a recording so you guys could see what happened. That would be one heck of a video for sure.

I don't know what else to say. I'm thinking about taking the box apart to see if the flame burned anything else inside., maybe black burn marks like what I saw outside of the otg port. I'm sure the box is dead so its not gonna hurt anything I suppose.

Sent from my SM-N900T

Comment

Here's a couple pictures guys of my otg port. It had more black on it from the flame towards the top, but if you notice closely, my finger smudged the top bit of black.
                            Sorry the quality isn't that good, I couldn't get my macro to focus correctly on my note

Sent from my SM-N900T

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post

A box frying due to a short I can understand as capacitors etc would and could cause flames but the board is not designed that way....

"It would have to be a major F'up at the board level to even do that... QA at the factory would and should have caught anything like that "

Bob
                              If this is true, I wonder if @GeekBuying would replace the MINIX since I bought it in like may or June, somewhere around that time. I thought they had a one year warranty but I'm not sure. Makes me sad though because I doubt that I could prove it was just that, a QA/quality control mess up. Thanks again guys.

I'm gonna try to talk to @GeekBuying_Rep and @MINIX and see how they feel about this: ( I'm gonna need good luck guys.

Sent from my SM-N900T
                              Last edited by cuezaireekaa; 10-02-2014, 09:29.

Comment

Working...
                              X