Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matricom's G-Box Q quad-core

Has anyone got one and what do they think of it

impressive specs with the ap6335 chipset and 16gb rom also running 4.4.4 andriod

World's #1 selling Android TV Box since 2011 - Discover why millions of people choose the G-Box as the best Kodi streaming media player in the world!
    Bugs are Sons of Glitches!

If you like my work and it's helped you, you can always shout me a beer or two Click - Here

Links : Visit JustMe ROMs - EM8 Square Roms - EM8 OpenELEC Rom - ADB GUI

JustMe

Originally posted by JustMe View Post

impressive specs with the ap6335 chipset and 16gb rom also running 4.4.4 andriod

http://matricom.net/
    hate to break it to you but the RUMOR around the watercooler is it is a rebadged M8, i cant remember where i saw it said that here it is on amazon though
    http://www.amazon.com/Android-TV-Box...eywords=Gbox-Q not by matricom some seller but im sure that will change soon

Comment

Originally posted by leo5111 View Post
      hate to break it to you but the RUMOR around the watercooler is it is a rebadged M8, i cant remember where i saw it said that here it is on amazon though
      http://www.amazon.com/Android-TV-Box...eywords=Gbox-Q not by matricom some seller but im sure that will change soon

hmm don't think so being 16gb flash, ap6335 which support ac wifi and andriod 4.4.4 not 4.4.2
      Bugs are Sons of Glitches!

If you like my work and it's helped you, you can always shout me a beer or two Click - Here

Links : Visit JustMe ROMs - EM8 Square Roms - EM8 OpenELEC Rom - ADB GUI

JustMe

Comment

im too tired to look right now to find it but, i think was on the matricom forums someone said it has a few small changes but its a slightly modified m8, dont get me wrong, the mx2 had good xbmc support so hopefully this will as well

Comment

I had the Matricom G-Box-Q for 2 days. All I know was it had a M9&M8 V1.0 board
          XBMC was crashing on me and the the remote keeps double jumping making it hard to use
          Got annoyed with it and tried to flash different firmware on it and bricked it.
          Now trying to decide if I would like to get another Matricom G-Box-Q or some other M8 box
          But the G-Box-Q has decent price with 16GB storage and ac wifi

Comment

Originally posted by roal71 View Post
            I had the Matricom G-Box-Q for 2 days. All I know was it had a M9&M8 V1.0 board
            XBMC was crashing on me and the the remote keeps double jumping making it hard to use
            Got annoyed with it and tried to flash different firmware on it and bricked it.
            Now trying to decide if I would like to get another Matricom G-Box-Q or some other M8 box
            But the G-Box-Q has decent price with 16GB storage and ac wifi
            up to you but they supported the mx2 pretty good so stuff will get fixed with firmware updates

Comment

Originally posted by JustMe View Post

http://matricom.net/
              I own the MX2. It has some bugs but I accept them as this is the best Android box I've tried for XBMC, which is my reason for interest in Android TV boxes period. I tried several Chinese HDMI Android sticks and stopped messing with them. The companies do not sem interested in seriously addressing the 2 major problems with these sticks, namely very inadequate ROM & inadequate Wireless radios and until recently heat. The critical issue with any Android TV box is not the hardware.

Its the ROM. No one yet has a solid stable Android streaming box ROM! I have tablets that run XBMC better than any HDMI stick or box I have tried, with MX2 the only exception. AMD powered Linux Mint Laptops work very well with XBMC! In that regard, I have a four year old plus Lenovo AMD laptop that runs Linux XBMC very well without any hacking or tweaking around but its more hassle than need be to connect a HDMI cable and stream to my TV.

MX2, with its buggy behavior (operating the box with any remote is a REAL HASSEL. I have Matricoms 2 best remotes. Like my Logitech wireless keyboard and my RC flymouse, Matriom's remotes seem to work well with anything but the MX2. The problem is the ROM. But this same ROM gives great results for XBMC streaming! The hardware decoding is really nice! The MX2 remains the best Android box for XBMC.

I got excited, at first, when I saw the ads for the new G Box Q. Quad Core, Android 4.4.X, dual wifi radios, Bluetooth, excetera. There are significant spec advancements to the Q box. It ship with the new 1.2 ROM.

Here is the rub and it is not an insignificant rub! Matricom has a clear record of over hyping & over promising its products and not following through with claims. It still sells the MX2 as coming with easy free Over the Air updates. I have had my MX2 since it was released. We have not received ONE UPDATE. There have been several ROM updates but users must find them, download them and flash them! Our boxes never got the "major" ROM upgrade to 1.2. Now, they announce a new box the Q and it has the ROM 1.2. It is reported to be buggy in the MX2. Other users tell me not to Flash this ROM to my MX2 - the box it was made for! Power users report I am better off with the bugs of my old ROM!

Bugs? A huge one is no wireless remote (only the logitech M305 wireless desk mouse works consistently) works properly. There are irritating bugs that causes wireless keyboards to malfunction. Often and at anytime, entering a letter can cause several to appear and less often but too often, a never ending repeat of the letter, until you press back delete! Several buttons do nothing. However the Flymote cursor does work consistently. Who wants to use a USB keyboard? The MX2 works properly only with a USB keyboard!

Early users of the Q Box report many problems. After selling not many Q Boxes, announced they are out of stock. This is Matricom not being forthcoming again. Too many are being returned so they took their ad down from Amazon (the MX2 has been Amazon's best selling TV box for months). I do not want to by a Q-box only to find I am a beta tester!

I don't trust their advertised grand Warranty. I called one month after I got my box about the OTA app getting disconnected and me getting a message that the ROM number of my box is invalid. Matricom told me that their new servers don't recognize the version! I pointed out all the MX2 Boxes ship with that version! Turns out, Matricom disconnected the boxes with the very ROM {and stil dol} ship in new MX2 boxes (as of December, 2014).

They still have ship X2 with the same outdated special version of XBMC. Since the MX2 does come rooted, I deleted it and I install the newest versions of XBMC, which gets the near daily addon updates (the Matricom Special Edition does not!) Last week I installed XBMC 13.2 Gotham and the new TV Addons (still comes under the Fusion label (http://Fusion.xbmchub.com) This is a major upgrade of XBMC and Fusion. Works very well in my year old MX2

My advice is stick with the MX2 until Q has been around for at least six months. Then, read the buyer reviews. The specs are promising but the 1.2 ROM needs work (its had two bug fix updates already) before I give up MX2.

AGAIN, Despite the bugs, MX2 runs XBMC very well. Best I've seen. Like XBMC itself. MX2 and Q are not devices for push and play Roku people! MX2 is a good device for power computing device users!
              Last edited by Bruisedquasar012; 12-04-2014, 21:15.

Comment

up to you but they supported the mx2 pretty good so stuff will get fixed with firmware updates
                Ya I thinking I will go with another G-Box-Q
                I have the MX2 about 1 year still using it. was originally going to by another MX2 but saw the Q was coming so held out for it.

Comment

Originally posted by roal71 View Post
                  Ya I thinking I will go with another G-Box-Q
                  I have the MX2 about 1 year still using it. was originally going to by another MX2 but saw the Q was coming so held out for it.
                  hopefully Codesnake will show interest in it and will put Openelec on it

Comment

hopefully Codesnake will show interest in it and will put Openelec on it

I have Codesnake OpenELEC running on my Q Box. It's the latest Kodi build. I wanted to install 4.2.1 stable running Gotham 13.2 but I could get it to load. I watch a couple shows on it. Just have had anything to mess around with it more.

Im sending Codesnake a brand new Q Box tomorrow so he'll have one to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by al8782 View Post
                      I have Codesnake OpenELEC running on my Q Box. It's the latest Kodi build. I wanted to install 4.2.1 stable running Gotham 13.2 but I could get it to load. I watch a couple shows on it. Just have had anything to mess around with it more.

Im sending Codesnake a brand new Q Box tomorrow so he'll have one to work with.
                      How does it run wit openelec?is it stable?im looking at buying one tonight but im getting mixed reviews id really like to run openelec on it

Comment

Originally posted by piperider View Post
                        How does it run wit openelec?is it stable?im looking at buying one tonight but im getting mixed reviews id really like to run openelec on it
                        Had no problem watching movies with it. I haven't really had much time to mess with it more. It is faster going from addon to addon and going from different menus within the addon.

I need to manually setup a 5ghz channel on my router to see if two options come up under connections. Codesnake said they should come up separate if I have my router setup that way. I think it's setup to automatically pick up 2.4 or 5ghz on it's own.

I really want to see how this runs with the AC wifi chip in it

Comment

All the good reviews on Amazon.com and all the negatativety here?

Comment

Originally posted by morrig View Post
                            All the good reviews on Amazon.com and all the negatativety here?
                            I used to be one of their top resellers.

They have you buy the unit on Amazon, then once you give a good review they refund you 50% or with some the entire amount.

It's all smoke and mirrors.

Just like they claim the MX2 is the Number One seller on Amazon. They are number one in HD/DVD Players because no one buys DVD Players anymore, LOL!!!

It's like me putting my device in the VCR section. Of course it will be number one because no one buys VCR's anymore.

Comment

it is really funny.......
                              good trick
                              Originally posted by Sooperfly View Post
                              I used to be one of their top resellers.

They have you buy the unit on Amazon, then once you give a good review they refund you 50% or with some the entire amount.

It's all smoke and mirrors.

Just like they claim the MX2 is the Number One seller on Amazon. They are number one in HD/DVD Players because no one buys DVD Players anymore, LOL!!!

It's like me putting my device in the VCR section. Of course it will be number one because no one buys VCR's anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X