USB Remote Control Fix for Finless 2.0 ROM - not working 100%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB Remote Control Fix for Finless 2.0 ROM - not working 100%

OK..... This took me 2 days to figure out!

I really don't know why the heck I spent so much time on this but enough of you folks were really upset about this feature so I figured it was worth it.

So if this helps you out please consider a donation... Thanks!

This patches the system to make a USB (RF dongle type) Remote Control power the Minix X8 back up using a power button. It no longer deep sleeps!

I ONLY tested this with my Logitech K400 as that is all I have that is USB based that I could test with. But I am pretty sure this will solve any USB remote.

BUT realize if you use USB hard disks they may not spin down with this patch!!!
    You get the trade off back that Minix made

NOTE: This only works on my Finless 2.0 ROM for the Minix X8 and X8-H.
    If you use this on any other ROM you will not be able to boot!

DO NOT just put this download on the SDcard! Unzip the download and see the readme instructions!

Here are the download links.

PATCH -> Minix X8 USB Remote Control Fix for Finless ROM 2.0 - (9 megs)

Enjoy,
    Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Wow... all the ranting and raving over this issue and no feedback?

Anyone test it yet?

Bob

Comment

Well I appreciate it mate! (A LOT!!)
      Never affected me but it's good to have choice.
      I'll post it up at the official forum and link back to it here, hopefully stop some moaning
      Once the kids have finished with my X8, I'll get on to having a look at your ROM

Comment

Originally posted by Gh0st View Post
        Well I appreciate it mate! (A LOT!!)
        Never affected me but it's good to have choice.
        I'll post it up at the official forum and link back to it here, hopefully stop some moaning
        Once the kids have finished with my X8, I'll get on to having a look at your ROM
        Make sure they understand it will not work on the stock ROM! Only my 2.0 ROM. This is due to changes I have made that require the combination of the two!

For resellers, I wont make this change to the stock ROM! Too much work went into it and I cannot do it anyway (requires permission levels that need my 2.0 system)..... And your not going to get it for free and continue to use FreakTab Dev's work and get it for nothing to make a profit! Pisses me off... Cough... Ummm.. user EDT comes to mind here.... cough.....

Bob

Comment

That explain it well enough mate?

Comment

Originally posted by Gh0st View Post
            Gh0st, I love this comment!

I'm not crippled or too lazy to get off my ass and turn it back on if I needed to.

That was my thoughts..... but Oh MAN... did a lot of people rant about this issue like it was the worlds end!

This is why I spent so much time working on it..... The squeaky wheel got the oil this time and it was interesting to work on to be honest. I learned shit I did not know about kernel DTD!
            BUT.... the fix was staring me right in the face the entire time and I did not see it and kept chasing Gh0sts Pun intended

Let's see if those with loud voices decide to donate! Minix folks in general have been the least to donate to FT work by any Dev. Maybe because they expect everything from Minix and not custom ROMs

Bottim line I do not think Minix will ever want to fix this! I understand why too... USB HD's are far more important then getting off your ass to turn on the box
            ALSO because the supplied remote DOES WORK! Why support something that can give you constant headaches trying to resolve? e.g. third party remotes....
            I totally see Minix's position here to be honest! If I were in their shoes I probably would have done the same!

BUT... I now gave the option to users..... So enjoy!

Bob

Comment

I have just received 3 PM's about open source, GPL licensing, and threats of reporting me..... They are wanting the sources for the changes I made to fix the remote

I DON'T HAVE MINIX SOURCES!!!!!

I hacked or figured this out on my own working with the binaries....
              Please don't ask me for sources... I don't have them!

BUT... with that said, I know Minix will release them when they are no longer threatened by AML's policies!
              TRUTH..... It's not Minix! It's AML and others like RockChip that threaten box makers like Minix with cutting them off if they share sources.... Shame.... but that's the truth!

GPL and Open Source licensing does not exist in China!!!!!
              Personally I think Google supports this too for reasons I won't go into! They are the ones that could cause these companies to COUGH UP!

So don't beat on me folks! I am not holding out on you with sources!

Bob

Comment

HA! One guy (commercial seller) said I was full of shit and that I must have sources to have made the change to make USB remotes work!

DUDE.... YOUR WRONG! I DO NOT! And NO I will not tell you what I did to fix it.... What I did had nothing to do with sources.. I simply used what was already there and available
                You want it? DO what I do daily and figure it out.... what an A-hole...

NOW PLEASE... Stop hounding me about it.... I went public and if you keep it up I will let people know who you are PUBLICLY!

GOD I get tired of the drama sometimes by people "in it for the money"...
                I might have to release the "ban hammer" to stop the hateful PM's AND I DON'T like to have to do that!

Bob

Comment

Haha glad you liked it
                  As you said there is now an option, I know that's all most wanted but it is a lot of work for something trivial.
                  Sorry you had to spend so much time on it but if you learned something along the way then that makes it half worth the effort.

I hope some people donate, it's something you obviously have done for them so a beer or 6 is not too much to ask
                  Maybe it's because it's too hard to get up to turn the box on they can't donate? Might have to go knock on their door and rattle a tin
                  Then you'd have to make a patch to open doors and wallets and maybe a bionic arm to reach into wallet

Maybe I didnt care about all this because I come from a time when remotes weren't around, then they were but they were attached to a 5m cord that plugged into the front of the betamax player lol

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                    I have just received 3 PM's about open source, GPL licensing, and threats of reporting me..... They are wanting the sources for the changes I made to fix the remote

I DON'T HAVE MINIX SOURCES!!!!!

I hacked or figured this out on my own working with the binaries....
                    Please don't ask me for sources... I don't have them!

BUT... with that said, I know Minix will release them when they are no longer threatened by AML's policies!
                    TRUTH..... It's not Minix! It's AML and others like RockChip that threaten box makers like Minix with cutting them off if they share sources.... Shame.... but that's the truth!

GPL and Open Source licensing does not exist in China!!!!!
                    Personally I think Google supports this too for reasons I won't go into! They are the ones that could cause these companies to COUGH UP!

So don't beat on me folks! I am not holding out on you with sources!

Bob
                    and this the thanks you get by grubby box sellers and lamer who cannot figure this out them self phew make me sick in the guts.

little do they appreciate the outcomes and help provided lamers
                    Bugs are Sons of Glitches!

If you like my work and it's helped you, you can always shout me a beer or two Click - Here

Links : Visit JustMe ROMs - EM8 Square Roms - EM8 OpenELEC Rom - ADB GUI

JustMe

Comment

Strange, I hadn't as yet installed Finless 2 so did it all from scratch just now. Flashed the fix twice as it wasn't working the first time. So I changed the USB from the back to the side and now it seems to be all fine.

Another added benefit for me is that Titanium Backups can now again run automatically.

Thanks Bob, much appreciated and Merry Christmas.

Edit, after writing this post I went back and tried turning it on from the remote, wouldn't come back on. IR wouldn't bring it back either, had to pull the plug.

To early to give full feeback though as maybe a bad FW flash, I'll keep testing.

Comment

Bob, I just bought you another 6 pack so you can relieve some of the stress. Haha.

I do not have a minix box, but I should be donating monthly for all the pleasure I derive from reading the post on this forum. I probably spend about 8 hours each day reading the post and re-reading them. Heck, I pay Netflix for their streaming service and I don't even use it. I gets used about 3 or 4 hours, every other weekend when my grandkids are here.

Before the internet, I used to subscribe to computer magazines and Harley magazines, I guess today we take for granted that the service you provide is worth as much as we used to pay for magazine subscriptions. I even feel guilty spending so much time and having so much enjoyment on this forum, I SHOULD be paying a monthly fee. (toss in some nudy pics and everyone will pay).

If everyone that frequents this forum half as much as me, I am sure they get a lot of pleasure out of it. I would imagine that they really never thought that tossing a couple of beers your way to thank you for providing this service that gives so much pleasure.

The frosting on the cake for me is all I have learned from you and all the other support people on here, not to mention all the times you have bailed me out and got my boxes working again. Most of my boxes would be in the trash bin right now, if it wasn't for you awesome roms that make them usable.

I know people are generous, sometimes just not very thoughtful.

Thanks again for all you do.
                        MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

ha, you find a way... congratulations (but you are right, why to waste 2 days of lifetime for something like this)
                          RK3288 Devices
                          - Overview BOX (LINK !)
                          - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                          UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
                          Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                          Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                          Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Thanks! Made a backup (using the Minix backup). Installed your new rom (because coming from Minix 002fw) and then the patch. No errors except a message in red about a missing led when doing the patch. But reports patch successful.
                            Tried to restore the backup, but it failed, no big problem.

But unfortunately the patch is not working on my box. The box goes to seep from A2, but does not wakeup.
                            Tried the patch a second time, but same result.

But the issue I had with Caps LK not working at all is resolved.

I am an end user. My X8 resides on a shelf behind the TV and is a little difficult to get to. That is the only reason I would like the remote to work. I can reach it but my son needs to stand on a chair to reach.

Beer sent!

Regards.

Comment

Can confirm it is not working for me either, I was a little trigger happy before, if I turn it on quickly it comes back on, leave it 20seconds+ and no go.

A2 remote also

And I also get the red error about LED when flashing

Comment

Working...
                              X