Pipo X7 internal construction and heat dissipation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heatsink mod

I've added some low profile heatsinks directly to the existing thin metal heatsink (after peeling off the sticker/plastic cover) using standard thermal glue and some old heatsinks left over from a modified graphics card cooler. Currently maxing out at 63oC with 22oC ambient. I could probably improve it further if I removed the original thin heatsink and attach directly to the chips but this seems to work fine. I'm very happy with this little unit!

Comment

What are the dimensions of the main PCB? I am thinking of buying this box, and putting it in a more compact package.
      As I've noticed in photos of the internals of this box, there is a lot of unused space.

Comment

Hi. When using hw monitor i get some strange cpu clocks and my Pipo get very hot instantly. This is when using Chrome playing Utube. Not when running stresstest like Aida 64. Look at clock speed on picture. Thanks Knievel Edit. Im not able to upload in full size. Anybody know how?
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
        Last edited by knievel; 04-13-2015, 22:33.

Comment

Originally posted by noggin View Post

Yep - looks like the Minix and the Zotac both have metal heatsinks...
          Manufacturer should have considered these basic matters and have done burn-in tests to validate their design before selling them to users.
          It's just unprofessional for not considering about heat issues.
          A large heatsink is necessary for this platform since the CPU power consumption could go high up to 6.5W.
          Manufacturer can't expect average users to perform this kind of self-mod, 99% of users are not going to do that.
          After all... you get what you paid for...
          Last edited by MINIX; 04-14-2015, 08:17. Reason: typo

Comment

You mean like this http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...er-heard-about
            RK3288 Devices
            - Overview BOX (LINK !)
            - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
            UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
            Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
            Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
            Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Hi there !

I got a very nice and simple solution to get rid of the heat in the Pipo X7. I just bought a 4mm height thermal pad on **** ($10) and then put it between the motherboard and the back plate. Results are very nice ! does ran a lot of demanding programs for the CPU and GPU, the plate goes a little hot, not the motherboard. Good !!

http://mo5.com/mod_thermique_pipox7.jpg

Cheers !
              Philippe.

Comment

Originally posted by Mujus View Post
                Hi there !

I got a very nice and simple solution to get rid of the heat in the Pipo X7. I just bought a 4mm height thermal pad on **** ($10) and then put it between the motherboard and the back plate. Results are very nice ! does ran a lot of demanding programs for the CPU and GPU, the plate goes a little hot, not the motherboard. Good !!

Cheers !
                Philippe.
                +1
                I have 2 pipo's.
                Both with 5mm thermal pad under the motherboard, and one of them also got a aluminum heatsink (40x40x13 mm) on top of stock heatsink/plate.
                The heatsink doesent make much differense. I think its because i have no fan inside to blow air on it.
                Like you say i think a thermal pad does the trick. And its very easy to put on. Instead of risking to damage anything when taking out the motherboard.
                Thanks
                Knievel

Comment

Would a 1.0mm thermal pad be too thick or is 0.5mm tight against the baseplate?

Comment

Originally posted by ultrabit View Post
                    Would a 1.0mm thermal pad be too thick or is 0.5mm tight against the baseplate?
                    Not 0.5 mm but 5 mm ,if used under motherboard against the backplate. If thats what you mean.
                    Thanks
                    Knievel

Comment

Originally posted by knievel View Post
                      Not 0.5 mm but 5 mm ,if used under motherboard against the backplate. If thats what you mean.
                      Thanks
                      Knievel
                      Have you got a link to the one you used?
                      Last edited by ultrabit; 04-24-2015, 23:15.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrabit View Post

Have you got a link to the one you used?
                        Here it is.

It took only 5 days with free shipping (China post i think) to Norway. And its all i need so far for my x7.
                        Thanks
                        Knievel

Comment

Originally posted by exnc View Post
                          Heatsink mod

I've added some low profile heatsinks directly to the existing thin metal heatsink (after peeling off the sticker/plastic cover) using standard thermal glue and some old heatsinks left over from a modified graphics card cooler. Currently maxing out at 63oC with 22oC ambient. I could probably improve it further if I removed the original thin heatsink and attach directly to the chips but this seems to work fine. I'm very happy with this little unit!

Hello,

Could u tell me about hight of metal heatsink? I'll try to do like u.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by KYLE KWON View Post

Hello,

Could u tell me about hight of metal heatsink? I'll try to do like u.

Thank you.
                            Hi sorry for late reply, I lost my login details and have not been on here in a while! I'd say using the heat transfer pad is the better option for this box as it uses the actual casing as a heatsink (plus it's much easier to do as per Knievel's instructions and is easy to revert back to standard) - if you'd still like to go down the heatsink route the small ones on the left are 20 L x 20 W x 10 H (mm) VGA RAM coolers - 7 of those and you'll be good to go!

thanks,
                            N

Comment

Originally posted by Mujus View Post
                              Hi there !

Cheers !
                              Philippe.
                              Did you STICK it to the motherboard OR metal cover? DO you really need to stick?

Comment

I think its better with a 5 mm heat pad . The pad itself is sticky, and you need contact with both backplate and motherboard to transfer heat.
                                A 4 mm pad may seem ok at start , but it will "dry out" and get a little thinner after some time and make less contact.
                                Thanks
                                Knievel

Comment

Working...
                                X