Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Menards: Polaroid PMID10C 10.1" tablet $129.99: 8GB internal memory, dual cameras 1 GHz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Menards: Polaroid PMID10C 10.1" tablet $129.99: 8GB internal memory, dual cameras 1 GHz

Hey guys! I'm returning to this forum thanks to a new purchase. I originally found this awesome site when I purchased the Polaroid PMID 701C earlier this year.

Today I was lucky enough to pick up the (new?) Polaroid PMID 10C from Menards on a Black Friday special.

I don't see much on this tablet around the internet so I thought I'd share my thoughts.

Here are the specs:
    10.1" capacitive multi-touch display
    Front and rear facing cameras
    Processor: 1.0GHz Cortex A8
    GPU: Mali400 (Supports OpenGL ES 2.0)
    RAM: 1GB/DDR3
    Screen Resolution 1024x600
    Internal Memory: 8 GB
    Micro SD slot handles up to a 32 GB micro SD card

Includes Micro USB and USB slots and an HDMI output

HDMI Cable was included
    USB Cable was included
    A/C adapter/charger was included as well.

Comes Pre-Rooted. You'll just need to install something like "Root Explorer" or a similar app to access system/root files.

I originally picked up the Polaroid PMID1000B at Toys R Us on the Thursday night Pre Black Friday event for $119.99. That tablet is nearly identical except that one only has 4 GB internal memory and 1 front facing camera.

When I saw Menards had a Polaroid 10.1" tablet advertised with double the internal memory and an HDMI cable for just $10.00 more than the Toys R Us offer I decided to see if I could grab one this morning.

So far I'm more than happy with it. I've been playing around for a few hours and I'm pretty satisfied. Here are my initial thoughts:

Feel/Durability/Quality:
    The finish and durability seem quite nice. This seems to be built better than my polaroid PMID 701C. The cheap plastic frame on that tablet seems to "creak" "snap" and "groan" when handled.
    The PMID10C has rounded corners and rounded edges on the back. The front facing camera looks a little odd protruding in a boxy style out of the thin rounded area it inhabits on the case.

The back side of the tablet has a soft rubbery coating that polaroid seems to be very found of using. It feels a little slippery to me and I'd almost prefer a hard plastic (even if it would scratch easier). Even though it does feel slippery in your hands I think the coating does keep the tablet from sliding across hard smooth surfaces like a desk or tabletop.

Cameras:
    Of course the cameras aren't all that great but having dual front and rear facing cameras is nice. I've been able to use the rear facing camera as a QR reader with a free app and it seems to work just fine for that. It takes acceptable quality pictures. I haven't shot any video with it yet so I can't speak on that function just yet.

The touch screen is very responsive as the capacitive screens seems to be on most Polaroid tablets.

Performance:
    I haven't done much with the tablet but it seems to perform well enough. Of course a 1.0 GHz processor is on the slow side but I knew that when I purchased and didn't expect blazing fast speed. At times ICS does seem to stutter a little and things will occasionally stall or freeze for a split second. Every so often I seem to be a bit "ahead" of the tablet when entering things on the on screen keyboard.

As with other Polaroid tablets (and most Android devices) the stock internet browser is pretty slow. Switching to a different browser can only help!

NETFLIX?:
    One of my biggest complaints of my old 7" Polaroid tablet is it doesn't run Netflix well enough (or at all using the newest version) On the PMID 10C i installed the Amazon appstore and immediately downloaded and installed the Newest version of Netflix. It immediately force closed and crashed every time I attempted to open it.

This newest version of Netflix always refused to even open on my 7" Polaroid as well so I figured trying an older version of Netflix was definitely worth a try. I downloaded and installed the apk for Netflix version 1.8.1 from this thread:
    Hey Guys, could anyone with AppMonster or so please back up the newest (1.8.1) FREE (else I wouldn´t even ask of course!) version of Netflix? Reason I can´t pull it from Market/Play is because my Nexus isn´t rooted - and I really don´t wanna...

(I downloaded this one: "The above link no longer seems to work, so here you go, kind sir:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjcg471do3...flix-1.8.1.apk ")

I'm happy to report Netflix version 1.8.1 does seem to run just fine on this tablet. I will say for me it takes quite a bit of time to load. It seems to load very slowly to the main menu and then sometimes when you choose a title to watch it takes some time to load. However once it starts playing it does seem to run just fine. However....I've only watched 15-20 minutes of video so time will tell whether or not issues appear later on in viewing.

Google Market/Play:

None of the files/methods previously used and described here on the site would successfully install Google Play. It would install and force close, or install and look fine but not let me download due to "errors".

In the end the method that worked to get Google Play installed was to install Google Market and then Update it to Google Play using the same files others used to install Google Play on the Kindle Fire HD. Directions are HERE.

USB is nice:
    Having a full size USB port on the tablet is nice. I'm able to transfer files and play media files directly from a USB thumb drive. Pretty cool! This is much faster and easier than swapping out a USB cable or Micro SD card. I haven't tried using a USB keyboard or mouse yet but I'm interested to see if it is possible.

Heat?:

Many of the earlier Polaroid 7" tablets from earlier this year got HOT. So far after several hours of messing around with it the middle bottom half of the back of the tablet gets slightly warm. Nothing significant and no where near as warm as my Polaroid PMID 701C can get!

Issues:
    1. So far the downfall with this Polaroid seems like its going to be the internal WiFi antenna. This thing likes to drop wifi when I leave the room with my router in it. Our router is located in an upstairs den (admittedly a crappy wireless router). However the 7" Polaroid PMID 701C I have has much better WiFi range. I can pretty much wander around the house with it. The 10.1" Polaroid PMID10C Wifi seems to flake out when the signal gets weak when I go downstairs.

I've noticed this tablet, like other Polaroid tablet owners have complained about in the past, seems to "lose" wifi sometimes when it goes to sleep and wakes back up. When the screen goes blank and you wake the tablet back up the wifi icon in the lower right corner still shows as connected. However, if I try visiting a website or an appstore etc immediately after the tablet wakes I'm usually met with connection timeouts etc. When I turn WiFi off and back on again it usually resolves the issue. I'll probably be installing an "auto airplane mode" app anyway, so I'm hoping that solves the problem anyway.

Update: It looks like I fixed the Wifi problems and it was as simple as changing the channel my router used for wireless! I was sharing the same channel with several neighbors. Once I switched to an uncrowded channel the range in my home for this tablet increased and it stopped dropped the wi-fi connection! (See complete details in a post later in this thread.)
    Last edited by SingleDad; 11-24-2012, 03:12.

Problems With Google Play/Market

So the method I described in my previous post to install Google market didn't work. Whenever I go to install an app it just says something like "failed to download due to error".

That technique has always worked in the past for me.

I then tried the Google Play install method described here: http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.UK-sn-TEVbo

all that does is give me a "server error" retry message whenever I go to access Google Play.

Any other suggestions on how to install Google Play on this tablet?

Comment

Got it!

I ended up getting it figured out. I used THESE instructions on how to install Google Play on a Kindle Fire HD. So far so good!

Comment

I saw that in the flyer and found I can get an ARNOVA 10b G3 with 4GB for $149.. you think the Polaroid with 8GB, full size USB and cameras is better?? does it have a headphone out? and did you try the keyboard yet?

Comment

Originally posted by BillLamm View Post
          I saw that in the flyer and found I can get an ARNOVA 10b G3 with 4GB for $149.. you think the Polaroid with 8GB, full size USB and cameras is better?? does it have a headphone out? and did you try the keyboard yet?
          I don't think it's any better. Performance wise I think they're pretty close to being identical from what I see based on rated specs.

No matter what with these tablets you get what you pay for!

The Polaroid does have a headphone jack.
          I actually did get around to plugging in a usb keyboard this afternoon and to my surprise it worked! I have a wireless mouse and keyboard I'll have to try out, but I doubt they'll work.

So far the downfall with this Polaroid seems like its going to be the internal WiFi antenna. This thing likes to drop wifi when I leave the room with my router in it. Our router is located in an upstairs den (admittedly a crappy wireless router). However the 7" Polaroid PMID 701C I have has much better WiFi range. I can pretty much wander around the house with it. The 10.1" Polaroid PMID10C Wifi seems to flake out when the signal gets weak when I go downstairs.

Comment

Originally posted by SingleDad View Post
            I don't think it's any better. Performance wise I think they're pretty close to being identical from what I see based on rated specs.

I actually did get around to plugging in a usb keyboard this afternoon and to my surprise it worked! I have a wireless mouse and keyboard I'll have to try out, but I doubt they'll work.

So far the downfall with this Polaroid seems like its going to be the internal WiFi antenna. This thing likes to drop wifi when I leave the room with my router in it. Our router is located in an upstairs den (admittedly a crappy wireless router). However the 7" Polaroid PMID 701C I have has much better WiFi range. I can pretty much wander around the house with it. The 10.1" Polaroid PMID10C Wifi seems to flake out when the signal gets weak when I go downstairs.
            Hey SingleDad! Welcome back! Was wondering where you ran off to!! As you can see, I've been somewhat busy with my tablet myself (even releasing my own ROM :-) ). Good to have you 'back in the fold' ;-)
            https://public.bay.livefilestore.com...ion.png?psid=1

Comment

The keyboard is good news.. and the headphone jack.. I can see using this for work and in the art studio its good to plug in my tunes to the amp and big speakers.. I will see what becomes of the wifi since these are $149 @ Menards now.. I just see that the ARNOVA 10b G3 seems to be further developed in the ROM re writes..

Comment

The keyboard is good news.. and the headphone jack.. I can see using this for work and in the art studio its good to plug in my tunes to the amp and big speakers.. I will see what becomes of the wifi since these are $149 @ Menards now.. I just see that the ARNOVA 10b G3 seems to be further developed in the ROM re writes..
                I think I have the Wifi problem licked! While the internal wifi antenna does still seem to be a little weaker than the one on my PMID 701C...it's now a perfectly usable tablet!

(My PMID 701C will pick up 3 or 4 wifi networks of my neighbors when I do a scan for available networks, while the PMID10C will just pickup our home network and sometimes the closest neighbor)

That being said MY weird wifi issues seem to be resolved simply by setting my router to use a channel that all of of my neighbors aren't using. It seems we were all sharing the channel 3 to 7 area.

I downloaded and installed the free app "WiFi Analyzer" from Google Play/Market. I installed it on my PMID10C and watched the signal strength to identify "dead" spots and problem areas in my home. While signal strength did seem to drop off as I went downstairs from where the router is, it still should have been plenty strong enough. I sat and watched the signal strength meter for a few minutes on Wifi Analyzer and noticed the PMID10C would randomly lose the signal completely for a second or two every so often. I installed the app on my PMID701C to see what channels were most congested and sure enough I was sharing the same channel with 3 to sometimes 4 of my neighbors.

I decided to see if something as simple as changing the wireless channel on my cheapo Belkin N router would help and it immediately worked wonders! The tablet is now perfectly usable throughout the areas of my home where I normally use it. For some reason this tablet is more sensitive to all the shared traffic than our laptops or other tablets are.

Sorry for the long winded walk through...but it might help someone else who is experiencing Wi-Fi connectivity issues. It sure explains why my tablet was randomly dropping it's connection etc.

Also I noticed many people complain that the ARNOVA 10b G3 is a little on the quiet side. Have you noticed it? There's no problems there with the Polaroid! You can get a very volume level and decent sound quality on Netflix and YouTube at least!

For the time being I'm happy with the PMID10C. Right now it does everything I ask it to do! I'm sure some will argue for not a great deal more you can get a better performing and more well known tablet...but I still think this is a decent tablet for those looking for an entry level 10" tablet!

Comment

Originally posted by elektrik View Post
                  Hey SingleDad! Welcome back! Was wondering where you ran off to!! As you can see, I've been somewhat busy with my tablet myself (even releasing my own ROM :-) ). Good to have you 'back in the fold' ;-)
                  Thanks man! It's been a while since I've poked around on here. I actually saw you had a custom ROM! Sweet! I'm going to have to check it out. If it fixes the Netflix problem on my PMID 701C I owe you a beer!!

Comment

Thanks SingleDad.. I appreciate your prompt input.. if I get a bigger TAB it will probably be another Polaroid..

Comment

HDMI Output works great too!

No problem Bill!

FYI for those who may be wondering, the HDMI output works beautifully with this tablet! It doesn't turn off the screen on the tablet like some of the older Polaroid tablets. This allows you to navigate easily via the touchscreen while plugged into a TV's HDMI input etc.

When hooked up to an HDMI input the audio goes out to the TV and does not play on the tablet.

I was able to stream an episode of The Walking Dead on Netflix through the tablet via the HDMI output today. Video quality was good and there were no audio sync issues either.

Comment

I ended up getting it figured out. I used THESE instructions on how to install Google Play on a Kindle Fire HD. So far so good!
                        The Polaroid 10.1" is my first tablet. While I am fairly computer literate, the instructions to install Google Play for the Kindle don't make sense to me for the Polaroid. Could you translate them to what I should do using the tablet? I'm a bit nervous about screwing something up.

Comment

So they're still selling the Tablet throughout the season? Or was it just a one time deal for Black Friday no more shipments kinda thing?

And thanks Singledad for the update on the Tab, my dad got one and he has me very jealous, go figure.

Comment

Thanks so much!!!

Thanks so much for your fabulous review! I just bought mine 24 hours ago (midnight Black Friday at Kohl's) and like you, so far, so good. I am VERY new to the tablet type of navigation, but I have a long flight home tomorrow to play around with it. I do hope I will be able to get netflix through it. I have been searching for prote tive case and keyboard to supplement as well. Thanks again for your review and I will continue to follow!!

Comment

Thanks for posting this thread. It seems to be the only discussion out there about this tablet. I work at Menards and actually bought it for my son for Christmas. I'm currently running a custom rom on my android phone and thought I'd see what was out there for this tablet to get it how I like before I give it to him.

Comment

Working...
                              X