No announcement yet.

[ROM] PMID4311 / EM543 - new version 20130101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=bbsux;45299]mine had those two drives but they both said to insert media. (like when you have a usb sd card reader with no card in it)[/QUOTe

That is strange driver loaded correctly?

Try more then 1 pc

Comment

[QUOTE=hi5five;45300]
      Originally posted by bbsux View Post
      mine had those two drives but they both said to insert media. (like when you have a usb sd card reader with no card in it)[/QUOTe

That is strange driver loaded correctly?

Try more then 1 pc
      seemed to load correctly. Adb let me send it to the internal memory. so either way....

Comment

Originally posted by hi5five View Post
        On mine when i hook usb to windows you will see to drive 1 internal the other is external. The 2gb is the internal. I just drag drop the zip and reboot into cwm and select from internal (you will see the zip there) from the cmw menu.
        Originally posted by bbsux View Post
        mine had those two drives but they both said to insert media. (like when you have a usb sd card reader with no card in it)
        Things should be as simple as possible - but not more so

hi5five's suggestion works (as described) if you are already running a previous version of this ROM and can skip the LiveSuite step. However, if you've installed the LiveSuite "framework" but not the update zip, you don't have a fully functioning system you can use to stage the next step. Even booting normally will reboot you into CWM. But that's not a problem...

On the CWM menu, select "mounts and storage", then "mount USB storage". Your internal and external (if present) SD cards will now be accessible in Windows, and you can use the simple d&d method hi5five described to transfer the update zip.

BTW... the "mount USB storage" option is not immediately visible on that menu, you have to scroll down to the bottom to see it.

Comment

Work-around for screen size issues

Because the stock apps were designed for 160dpi screens while these tablets are 120dpi, some stock apps are larger than the screen. The problem is most noticable in the status bar when the screen is in portrait mode: some of its symbols overlap.

A possible work-around for the problem is to edit /system/build.prop and change 'ro.sf.lcd_density' from "120" to "96". This will change the (down)scaling from 75% to 60% for items that were explicitly designed for 160dpi.

Comment

I've found that setting the density down to 75 helps a bit more.
            Then app names start showing in the home screen & app/widget view. (But they still dont show on the app/widget screen in landscape mode, which seems odd).
            You have to set the font size to Huge to compensate. Unfortunately, not all text is affected and many ui buttons are unusably small.

Other problems I did not have with stock rom:
            * almost all Play store apps refuse to install now ("your device isn't compatible / this app is incompatible") -- Google books, Angry Birds...
            * stability: Apex launcher is crashing a lot -- not sure of it improved or I just quit trying new things.
            * youtube crashes: if a video loads, it may play (but it rarely makes any progress loading -- wifi may be weaker?)

Comment

Originally posted by ddr View Post
              I've found that setting the density down to 75 helps a bit more.
              Then app names start showing in the home screen & app/widget view. (But they still dont show on the app/widget screen in landscape mode, which seems odd). You have to set the font size to Huge to compensate. Unfortunately, not all text is affected and many ui buttons are unusably small.
              You've gone way too far - you're scaling stuff down to less than 50% of the original. If you don't see icon titles, it's because you have the launcher set to "zoom" rather than "stretch". With stretch, the icons are smaller but the text is visible on both the home screens and the app drawers. The only app I've found that still needs to be set to "zoom" is Camera in order to see the settings. When dpi is set to 96 or 104, setting text to "Large" should suffice.

Other problems I did not have with stock rom:
              * almost all Play store apps refuse to install now ("your device isn't compatible / this app is incompatible") -- Google books, Angry Birds...
              * stability: Apex launcher is crashing a lot -- not sure of it improved or I just quit trying new things.
              * youtube crashes: if a video loads, it may play (but it rarely makes any progress loading -- wifi may be weaker?)
              I already had Angry Birds (from another vendor's ROM), so I just installed Angry Birds Rio plus Aldiko book reader - neither were a problem. I don't find Apex to be unstable but Settings is sometimes problematic. I'll get YouTube to see how that performs,

Overall, though, I have to say that I'm not impressed with CM10. That's why I'm going to start working on either a "SuperStock" ICS ROM or another vendor's JellyBean implementation (I've had Onda's lying around for a while now but I just found one from another vendor I trust a bit more).

Comment

DPI «problem», huge button bar, apex launcher problem displaying icon/text, were the reason I reverted back to stock. Their ICS is very stable anyways, and already rooted so it's easy to tinker with

A super stock ICS, without OEM partition (it's 16MB cramfs I think), with bigger system partition, etc would be nice

Comment

Blue tooth dongle on Pmid4311

Can anyone help me with this?
                  Can this device use an otg cable with a blue tooth dongle?
                  If I am in the wrong area or need to start a new thread let me know.

Thanks
                  Sean

Notes:
                  Tablet has been modded with 20130101.
                  Dongle USB 2.0 Bluetooth EDR Dongle Adapter For Tablet & PC Blue Tooth Z102 C71 C91 E72

Cable New USB 2.0 Type A Female to Micro B Male Adapter Data Cable

Comment

USB Host works with this mod - I dont know if it works on stock.
                    I've tested it myself with Usb Host Diagnostics app - Full support!
                    http://usbhost.chainfire.eu/ search for "A13-sun5i" PMID4311
                    Both a mouse and thumbdrive worked for me. Support will depend on having a driver module (btusb?). "lsusb" in a terminal will give you a device id to search for.

You may have to whittle some plastic off the host cable (if the micro connector on the host cable isn't as long as the connector on the cable that came with the device). Also, a 90deg connector can block the power button.

* Apex icons - solved: the apex settings let you choose more icons than can fit on the screen -- you need to change both apex Homescreen and Drawer settings. Also, if you don't set a square homescreen grid, icons can go offscreen when rotating. I've got 5x5 3x7, 7x5 3x7
                    * wifi: the driver seems to prefer excessive datarates (almost always 150Mb on 802.11n) and does not support wifi powersave. I think stock lacks powersave too - wifi on full power drains the battery too quickly.
                    * play store: many apps report incompatible! no Google Books!!! I wonder if the stock rom reporting itself as unknown instead of Polaroid makes a difference?
                    * SystemUI.apk: is missing 360dp resources; must be affecting system bar icons. I've tried rebuilding the apk but no luck getting it to work (crashing systemUI is bad).
                    * youtube: still crashes most of the time

Comment

USB Host works with this mod [...] You may have to whittle some plastic off the host cable (if the micro connector on the host cable isn't as long as the connector on the cable that came with the device).
                      So that's the secret! I've tried using my OTG cable several times but it keeps falling out (I guess I'm more oriented to s/w than h/w).

Apex icons - solved: the apex settings let you choose more icons than can fit on the screen -- you need to change both apex Homescreen and Drawer settings.
                      I stated as much in the posting for the earlier version but omitted it when posting this version because the post was already too long. I assumed people would figure this out (as you did).

play store: many apps report incompatible! no Google Books!!! I wonder if the stock rom reporting itself as unknown instead of Polaroid makes a difference?
                      I doubt that identifying this is as a Polaroid is going to impress anyone Try spoofing a Nexus7. Some permissions could be missing but more likely a few strings are missing from framework-res.apk which enable fine-location(?) (i.e. gps) services. This is what causes PlayStore to claim that the tab is incompatible with Angry Birds, of all things. When sideloaded, Angry Birds works great.

SystemUI.apk: is missing 360dp resources; must be affecting system bar icons. I've tried rebuilding the apk but no luck getting it to work (crashing systemUI is bad).
                      Nobody anywhere is building JB ROMS that support 120dpi screens. I've downloaded many gigabytes of ROMS looking for ldpi support.

FYI... I've been killing myself trying to come up with a workable stock JB ROM. I finally found one built for the A13 and everything works (now) except for the gt811 touchscreen - half the screen works, the other half is dead.

Meanwhile, I've put together a very nice, modified stock JB for my 7-inch A10 (a Trio Stealth Pro Metal). I could probably whip up a version for the A10 Polaroids if anyone is interested.

Comment

Thanks

Thank after I trimmed the cable it sees a device, now when I get time I will try to get a driver for it
                        hopefully this weekend.

USB Host works with this mod - I dont know if it works on stock.
                        I've tested it myself with Usb Host Diagnostics app - Full support!
                        http://usbhost.chainfire.eu/ search for "A13-sun5i" PMID4311
                        Both a mouse and thumbdrive worked for me. Support will depend on having a driver module (btusb?). "lsusb" in a terminal will give you a device id to search for.

You may have to whittle some plastic off the host cable (if the micro connector on the host cable isn't as long as the connector on the cable that came with the device). Also, a 90deg connector can block the power button.

* Apex icons - solved: the apex settings let you choose more icons than can fit on the screen -- you need to change both apex Homescreen and Drawer settings. Also, if you don't set a square homescreen grid, icons can go offscreen when rotating. I've got 5x5 3x7, 7x5 3x7
                        * wifi: the driver seems to prefer excessive datarates (almost always 150Mb on 802.11n) and does not support wifi powersave. I think stock lacks powersave too - wifi on full power drains the battery too quickly.
                        * play store: many apps report incompatible! no Google Books!!! I wonder if the stock rom reporting itself as unknown instead of Polaroid makes a difference?
                        * SystemUI.apk: is missing 360dp resources; must be affecting system bar icons. I've tried rebuilding the apk but no luck getting it to work (crashing systemUI is bad).
                        * youtube: still crashes most of the time

Comment

I just wanted to say thanks for this. I went through 3 cheap tablet's before I found the PMID4311, as well as this mod. I love the formfactor of this one, but it's default android was crap. I have been using your cyanogenmod for about a month now, and I am loving it.

I am also glad to see that it supports USBhost. I need to get me an adapter, as it would be awesome to use an xbox controller/keyboard/mouse/bluetooth on this. Missing bluetooth is one of the big things missing from my "tablet", as I love bluetooth.

Is there any planned updates? Maybe adding wifi powersaving, if that is doable? Wifi on = about 2 hours. Wifi off = 4+ hours.

Also, why did your default have both gmail and email installed?

Comment

Trouble..

I loaded this rom (The em543 version) on my 543 and the touch screen was unresponsive. I purchased mine from Big Lots late November of last year. I loaded the stock rom you have posted in the gdocs folder with no success (touch screen still didn't work). I ended up having to go to the v3 rom from the Southern Telecom site.

Definitely seems to be a different touchscreen driver..

Comment

Re: [ROM] PMID4311 / EM543 - new version 20130101

Originally posted by dolorespark View Post

Meanwhile, I've put together a very nice, modified stock JB for my 7-inch A10 (a Trio Stealth Pro Metal). I could probably whip up a version for the A10 Polaroids if anyone is interested.

Yes please for the A10 JB ROM if you don't mind. I have the old 701C.. Between myself and electrik we could get you anything you need. Plus I have no problem testing either

Sent from my HUAWEI-M931 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Stuck...

I have the Polaroid PMID4311, but I can't get the drivers to install (I'm using Windows XP if it helps). When I try to open LivSuite.exe, I get an error mesage that says "Install the driver fail! The program will exit!" How do I get the drivers to install? Without it, LiveSuite doesn't recognize the device.

Also, should I turn on USB storage, or should the tablet be turned off?

Comment

Working...
                                X