Currently... what is best

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currently... what is best

I have an mk802 original, and now (kids) have the UG802 running Finless,Bobs 1.7

I want another device for my living room main TV but what is the best right now?

there are tons of diff. models and its becomming a bitch to differentiate them any longer.

I have open switch ports at desired location and wifi throughout house and run a media server for movies/music.

Obviously want streaming as well as android gaming & MAME on this!

any thoughts?

Thanks!!
    Last edited by iamtek7; 02-12-2013, 22:53. Reason: add info

My opinion ONLY!

I like the Minix Neo X5. Why? Because I do not have to hook up a octupus of devices to do everything I want. I do not have to hook up a powered USB hub, a ethernet dongle, audio ouptut, etc... For me, wifi works well as well as the features of the ROM like "auto hide" status bar! They did a damn good job making a Android ROM work best as a TV box!

There is really NO perfect device right now and I think this will change a lot over the next 6 months, but right now I enjoy my X5.

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

i agree with bob on this. I have an x5 for my main pc, and a mk808 for upstairs. The x5 is purely superior because its a full package. in terms of actual use and performance, i see no difference.

To get my mk808 to work I paid....

$60 for device
      $12 for powered hub - didnt work with mk808
      $6 for unpowered hub that did work
      $4x2 fror differened ethernet adaptors that didnt work.
      $8 for one that actually worked
      Total - $102.

Cost of x5 = $98.

So altho the cost is higher, it is actually worth it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by iamtek7 View Post
        I have an mk802 original, and now (kids) have the UG802 running Finless,Bobs 1.7

I want another device for my living room main TV but what is the best right now?

there are tons of diff. models and its becomming a bitch to differentiate them any longer.

I have open switch ports at desired location and wifi throughout house and run a media server for movies/music.

Obviously want streaming as well as android gaming & MAME on this!

any thoughts?

Thanks!!
        I would add to Bob's comment: Minix just said a couple days ago that they are going to come out with two quad core processor Boxes soon (rK3188??). So, I am excitingly waiting a little for the next purchase. See:

"We can only tell the next NEO will be quad core.
        But which chip we can't disclose right now, it could be 2 models of 2 different chips."

Comment

The AllWinner A31 quad is a pretty nice setup and is available now. But I think RK3188 will blow it away so I hope they use rk3188. But if they do use A31, count me in if price is good!

Of course if they want to send me a protoype or early uinit for testing, review, and tweaking to help, I am game then too

Bob

Comment

a31

Hey Bob I'm a long time fan.
            Just got an onda v812 allwinner a31 tablet. I gotta say its pretty nice but not too much better then an rk3066. I was wandering if u might be doing any work on an allwinner a31 tablet or device in the near future thanks.

Comment

I am in the same boat.

My first device the Neo 4 was nice except for which I do not like at all, a micro usb connector for the power.
              Unrepairable due to .. part what Bob described ... to many things hanging around the stuff.
              Not going to describe how I killed it but it was beyond repair.

Now I have the MK808 which has a USB hub, antenna mod, different power supply and the next mod will be extra cooling. Great toy but still ... to play around with.

I have just been checking geekbuying and ****. To be honest there is a stick for every day, every week, every colour, but 99% of them have the same specs.

Now what Bob described, and I feel the same, why in the hell a stick which you connect other stuff, which is already damn bigger than the actual stick, to make it work like it should.
              The Neo x-5 has great support from the factory, check facebook, and has all the connection that I see everyone wants to add (x-amount of $ + x-amount of $ making it expensive) on a stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Playonlover View Post

"We can only tell the next NEO will be quad core.
                But which chip we can't disclose right now, it could be 2 models of 2 different chips."

http://minixforums.com/threads/what-...t-neo-box.382/
                Good find.

I'm reading that RK3188 should have much better 3D performance. Though not that is a big selling point for these models. I would assume that's the chip they use. But who knows I guess. And that model, one would figure, would debut at $100+.

Which is the best stick PC android device? MK808?
                Last edited by Castaa; 02-16-2013, 22:45.

Comment

The Quad RK3188 sticks can't be too far away, the Tablets are shipping next week.

Pull off the camera, battery, and 10" screen, and I want one! I figure USD $100 is my number.

Comment

Originally posted by motorcyclemikie View Post
                    The Quad RK3188 sticks can't be too far away, the Tablets are shipping next week.

Pull off the camera, battery, and 10" screen, and I want one! I figure USD $100 is my number.
                    I agree that the new SoCs (RK3188, etc) are coming but what are these new chips going to enable software/functionality wise, that the current RK3066 chips are not?

The new SoCs are really only adding more cores and modest bump in clock speed. Sure raw 3D peformance will improve but that's about all I can see that is possibly radically improving.

Comment

Just FYI.... I was told a while back that Android OS 4.1 does not offer anything more to a quad core proc! It was mentioned that Android 4.2 would be needed to get full advantage of a quad core proc.

Cant say if that is true or not. Just some talk among Dev's I know.

Bob

Comment

where does mk812 stand in all of this?
                        considering we keep in mind the word "mini" in the mini PC.

As developers and enthusiasts, people add a lot of flexibility to their devices like lan adapters, sound cards etc. But for a casual user (like noob me ) i am generally satisfied even with the stock performance.
                        I guess basic users don't even participate in the forums. They just buy their sticks and use them.
                        Getting too philosophical am I?? :P
                        cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by rishidoshi View Post
                          where does mk812 stand in all of this?
                          considering we keep in mind the word "mini" in the mini PC.

As developers and enthusiasts, people add a lot of flexibility to their devices like lan adapters, sound cards etc. But for a casual user (like noob me ) i am generally satisfied even with the stock performance.
                          I guess basic users don't even participate in the forums. They just buy their sticks and use them.
                          Getting too philosophical am I?? :P
                          cheers!
                          Yes, when i bought my stick i bought another one to my brother. He don't read forums and every time he comes to my home and see my device he said: Hey I want to make that in my device too. So people use this devices, but limited in their functions. If people reads a bit they will found more functionality to their devices.
                          REMEMBER, YOUR FEEDBACK IS VERY IMPORTANT TO US.
                          My devices:
                          Minix Neo X7; Minix Neo X8-H , Minix Neo Z64W & Z64 (Sponsored by Minix)
                          MK902 & MK902II(Sponsored by RKM)
                          Beelink M8B & Beelink R89 (Sponsored by Beelink)
                          Tronsmart VEGA S89H (Sponsored by
                          Gearbest.com)
                          MELE-PCG03 (Sponsored by Gearbest.com) Discount Coupon:MPCG03
                          Ainol Intel Z3735 MiniPC(Sponsored by Gearbest.com)
                          Thanks to them I can try to support your devices http://freaktab.com/core/images/smilies/wink.png

Comment

Any idea when the RK3188 chipped machines will come out ?, I am waiting till they do so I can get the RK3066 machines for the cheap ! ...LoL I need to get at least 5-6 units so that can add up quickly. Currently I think the Minix NEO G4 and X5 are your best bet, because they have US base technical support and a huge following which forces the company to release new firmware to fix problems if there is any, but then again it is all about price if it compares to similar units with the same specs. RikoMagic MKII machines are going for $32 these days beacuse of the newer MKIII release !

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                              My opinion ONLY!

I like the Minix Neo X5. Why? Because I do not have to hook up a octupus of devices to do everything I want. I do not have to hook up a powered USB hub, a ethernet dongle, audio ouptut, etc... For me, wifi works well as well as the features of the ROM like "auto hide" status bar! They did a damn good job making a Android ROM work best as a TV box!

There is really NO perfect device right now and I think this will change a lot over the next 6 months, but right now I enjoy my X5.

Bob
                              Given the choice between the Minix Neo G4 and the iMito MX1, which one would you prefer ?
                              I was able to secure good pricing for these two models, but not for the Smallart U2.

Comment

Working...
                              X