Currently... what is best

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EdT View Post
    Given the choice between the Minix Neo G4 and the iMito MX1, which one would you prefer ?
    I was able to secure good pricing for these two models, but not for the Smallart U2.
    G4 has no Bluetooth. If you don't want BT then G4 is great. Has good wifi hardware.
    MX1 is also good with BT.
    I had the same dilema and ended up buying MK808B from geekbuying. Today it's listed at $49.99 (I bought it for 54 odd)
    I am happy with my purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by rishidoshi View Post
      G4 has no Bluetooth. If you don't want BT then G4 is great. Has good wifi hardware.
      MX1 is also good with BT.
      I had the same dilema and ended up buying MK808B from geekbuying. Today it's listed at $49.99 (I bought it for 54 odd)
      I am happy with my purchase.
      Why did you go with the MK808, I read they got bad WiFi reception, but that should not be a problem if you like to tinker in upgrading the antenna.

I went with the G4, ordered 5 units for $49ea. I don't see any use with BT. With iMito there is just too many clones, no remote included and the fact that I didn't like a HDMI plug on the end that requires me to buy expensive male to female HDMI cable if I wanted to bring the unit to the front. I think iMito itself is a no name brand, they have no websites or anything basically a bunch of factories turning them out like the MKs.

MK factory tour ...enjoy !
      Check how the now famous MK802 Android 4.0 Mini PC AllWinner A10 HDMI Stick is being manufactured in Shenzhen China. This is the factory that likely manufact...

Comment

Why did you go with the MK808, I read they got bad WiFi reception, but that should not be a problem if you like to tinker in upgrading the antenna.

I went with the G4, ordered 5 units for $49ea. I don't see any use with BT. With iMito there is just too many clones, no remote included and the fact that I didn't like a HDMI plug on the end that requires me to buy expensive male to female HDMI cable if I wanted to bring the unit to the front. I think iMito itself is a no name brand, they have no websites or anything basically a bunch of factories turning them out like the MKs.

MK factory tour ...enjoy !
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkR6_7cw4p8
        Yes if BT is not needed then G4 is a good choice! I needed BT. Early mk808 had wifi problems. But the newer mk808B (Bluetooth, Originals) are good with wifi. I find my device's wifi to be solid.
        How is the WiFi in all of your devices btw?

Comment

I have an MK808 and wifi is solid (according to WiFi Analyzer). I found, however, that these android sticks make for very bad Media Players, at least for my preferences.

Unfortunatelly, the mk808 does not support Surround or DTS passthrough but it's downsampling all my movies to stereo.

Also, Wifi is too slow to be able to stream my 1080p movies properly, the device, however, seems to have no problem decoding them.

All in all, if you add all the costs for additional hardware needed, the raspberry Pi is probably a better media center device, allthough not android based (General Processing Power of the PI is a lot lower, though, but it makes for a perfect streaming client).

Since I only wanted the stick to toy around with (My pi really does a great job as my dedicated media center), i went with the mk808 because of the price. The Minix Neo 5 seemed like better hardware (with ethernet built in and more usb connections) but costs almost tripple of what I paid for the mk808.

Comment

How is the WiFi in all of your devices btw?
            I don't know yet since they haven't arrived, I just ordered them yesterday, will take 3-4 days from China to Canada which isn't bad at all ! So far it's been a pleasure dealing directly with dealers in China, fast emails, patient and courteous and will do anything to make me happy !

Comment

I don't know yet since they haven't arrived, I just ordered them yesterday, will take 3-4 days from China to Canada which isn't bad at all ! So far it's been a pleasure dealing directly with dealers in China, fast emails, patient and courteous and will do anything to make me happy !
              hi. can you please report the G4's wifi performance? what is the max linkspeed you get? 150mbps or what?

Comment

hi. can you please report the G4's wifi performance? what is the max linkspeed you get? 150mbps or what?
                WiFi is always at 150n, I think that is the max for the G4. So far everything has worked flawlessly on the G4 and I am very happy with it.

Comment

Working...
                X