Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yf0911

Hey Finless Bob,

I've got a YF0911 that I managed to root and get SU, gmail, market, etc. working on. There are still a couple of bugs with calendar and settings. I'd like to put more time into the ROM but want to make sure I can do away with the cramfs system before I do. Can you give me a quick rundown on what I need to do to get rid of it? If I can get something working I'll post it for all the poor YF0911 users out there that are still stuck with a stock unit.

Thanks - lisraelson

Comment

Well it's not something you can give a quick run down on but here goes.

In linux mount the system.img. It's cramfs so you need to make sure your linux has the cramfs binaries installed.

Then make a new .img file for the new system.img using DD command. Make sure it is big enough. I make mine about 200 megs.

Now format the new system.img file as ext3 using the mkfs.ext3 command.

Now mount that new image as well.

Now that you have both images mounted, copy over all the files from the cramfs image to the new ext3 image.

Unmount both and you now have a new system.img that is ext3.

Bob
      "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
      "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
      "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
      "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
      "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
      "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
      "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
      "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
      "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Oh Boy you're taking me back

Originally posted by Finless View Post
        Well it's not something you can give a quick run down on but here goes.

In linux mount the system.img. It's cramfs so you need to make sure your linux has the cramfs binaries installed.

Then make a new .img file for the new system.img using DD command. Make sure it is big enough. I make mine about 200 megs.

Now format the new system.img file as ext3 using the mkfs.ext3 command.

Now mount that new image as well.

Now that you have both images mounted, copy over all the files from the cramfs image to the new ext3 image.

Unmount both and you now have a new system.img that is ext3.

Bob
        OK, using Linux goes back several years to when I was at the University of Minnesota so I'm a little rusty.

First off would be getting a good linux distro to do this on, any recommendations? (being from the U of M we always used Gnome...)

So since I'm copying this from cramfs to ext3 I'll want to use my rooted system.img correct?

Once I've got the system.img in ext3 are there any other files (boot.img, recovery.img, etc.) that need to be changed? Does anything need to be done to the tablet itself to work with this or I just need to flash it and all the other files using RK29update.exe?

Thanks - lisraelson

Comment

Start new new thread please in the ROM Hacks and Mods Development forum.
          We will go from there.

Bob

Comment

Has anyone tried this on a yf0911 serial?

Comment

Originally posted by prbridge View Post
              Has anyone tried this on a yf0911 serial?
              OK just tried this on my 0911 and it loads fine, with only 2 minutes use it seems to be functioning just fine.... I'll mess around with it for a while and see if any problems crop up....

lisraelson

Comment

Installed on a 0911 and after fixing the market issue, Bob's method worked like a charm, I've installed numerous programs, logged into a bunch of them, Bible, Netflix, etc. and uninstalled lots of the default programs that came with it I didn't want, haven't had any problems to speak of and much faster than stock. I'll let you know if anything changes, but for now everything looks to be running great.

lisraelson

Comment

Finless,

Great job on this ROM! I'm running it on an 0911 and it's been working great, one thing I noticed was that location services was not working, I did a little digging and there is no NetworkLocation.apk in the system/app folder. I happen to have that from when I was working on a ROM for this tab, dropped it in there and set permissions and now it's up and running, browser and mycast weather both report my correct location now. Not really a big deal but might be something to include in your next ROM, or your debloated ROM since it I consider it a part of the core android system... Let me know if you need the .apk and Thanks again for all your hard work.

lisraelson

Comment

Wow

Location services working. Well done!

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk
                    Please consider donating to purchase tablets for Finless Bob to continue his work. This will help in the creation of custom roms and build an even stronger development base for our community. Thank you for you support!

PLEASE CLICK THE DONATE BUTTON BELOW

<form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
                    <input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_s-xclick">
                    <input type="hidden" name="hosted_button_id" value="3GN5JFZXXQLCA">
                    <input type="image" src="http://www.freaktab.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=565&d=1341333954&thumb =1" border="0" name="submit" alt="PayPal — The safer, easier way to pay online.">
                    https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_GB/i/scr/pixel.gif
                    </form>

Comment

Yes please! I have been struggling to get locations services working on my Arnova. I also have the APK built in but it will not work on other apps. Only on google maps with some tinkering!

However my bet is it wont work on my Arnova and cause boot llops. The first ROM I ever made for this tab I included the networklocation in it from my Arnova and it caused boot loops so I had to take it out. I bet the reverse will be true. e.g. your will not be compatible with the Arnova.

But I am willing to try it!

Bob

Comment

You might be in luck, this apk wasn't sourced from my tab, I downloaded it with a group of other gapps and that happened to work on this tablet so I'm hoping it works for you as well.

lisraelson

NetworkLocation.apk

Just a note, I had to change permissions once I dropped it into the system/app folder to allow read/write/execute across the board

Comment

Thanks I will try it tonight.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by lisraelson View Post
                            You might be in luck, this apk wasn't sourced from my tab, I downloaded it with a group of other gapps and that happened to work on this tablet so I'm hoping it works for you as well.

lisraelson

[ATTACH]167[/ATTACH]

Just a note, I had to change permissions once I dropped it into the system/app folder to allow read/write/execute across the board
                            Tried id seems to be working!

Sent from my next7P using Tapatalk

Comment

Nope not working for me. Same as the built in one I had near I can tell.

I go to google maps and click the location icon and I get back "you location is temporarly unavailble".

Again I have tried sever networklocation.apk and none of them have worked. I fear the problem lies in framework.jar and it is screwed up because Arnova did not fix the fact that we don't have a GPS. I think it is only looking for GPS even though I have use wifi for location set

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                                Nope not working for me. Same as the built in one I had near I can tell.

I go to google maps and click the location icon and I get back "you location is temporarly unavailble".

Again I have tried sever networklocation.apk and none of them have worked. I fear the problem lies in framework.jar and it is screwed up because Arnova did not fix the fact that we don't have a GPS. I think it is only looking for GPS even though I have use wifi for location set

Bob
                                I don't suppose you'd feel brave enough to examine the .jar file? Maybe after it's unpacked it's just a matter of changing a single line in some text file. At least, in my optimistic fantasy imagination of custom ROM building, it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X