Video > The "Guts" of 3 Quad Core TV sticks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video > The "Guts" of 3 Quad Core TV sticks

Hey folks, here is a video I did showing the insides or guts of 3 TV sticks.
    The Imito QX-1, CX-919, and MK908.

Hope this is helpful!

Enjoy,
    Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Very helpful!

Thanks Bob.

Comment

Thankyou very much Bob, I really was looking forward to see the QX1's cooling system.

Comment

Re: Video > The "Guts" of 3 Quad Core TV sticks

That was helpful, thank you very much.
        Out of the three I am now leaning towards QX1.

Let's just hope the frame skip fix works with that one.

Signature? Signature!

Comment

Thanks Bob, I did pop my mk908 apart last week and saw has exact same heat sink as my mk808.
          By the looks then all these 3188 devices are lacking in any half decent cooling.

Running the mk908 under load just cooks it, So all these will be the same if pushed, Which is a real pity considering the potential of these sticks is stifled by the old arch enemy for the cpu. (heat, something so simple)

Its helped me decide not to buy any of those sticks and to look for alternative android units.

Comment

Thx Bob,

I'm curious if you've seen much of a heat difference between these unit's while performing the same tasks. Ignoring that half of the Imito is a heatsink, do you find that one of these runs particularly cool or hot? Are the slight variations in hardware a factor or do you feel that improvements in firmware may be the main factor?

I've seen numerous processors and video cards over the years and quite often reduced or excessive thermal choices are a direct response to results found in pre-production testing. Sometimes it works out in our favor and a piece of hardware that had poor code that practically roasted the chip on the shipped firmware has turned around to give leeway to excessive overclocking later on when coding issues had been fixed. Other times the damn thing just cooks and so be it.

Moderate thermal protection also has a few signs and outcomes like, a general design flaw, an undersight in design proofing allowing no room for notable improvements, cost cutting, or a quality chip that just happens to run cool as a cucumber.

I realize that as rom development continues you will be in a better position to pass judgement on these units but what is your initial impression as it pertains to what I have just mentioned?

Comment

IMHO, god damn that was a complicated way of asking the question. But I'm interested in the answer too.

Signature? Signature!

Comment

Yes you can control how hot things get based on how the kernel is clocked and throttled.

The T428 runs hot to me. Mk908 a little better. My CX-919 just got warm after watching 2 movies back to back. The QX1 right now is too unstable to run Netflix long enough to tell.

I have not piled Antutu back to back on these to see... just general use like most people would use them.

But the answer is YES... It's all how the governor is controlled.

Bob

Comment

Is it possible to install a new scheduler as a module or is it necessary to have sources first. SmartassV2 would go pretty well with these devices maybe

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by JugsteR View Post
                    IMHO, god damn that was a complicated way of asking the question. But I'm interested in the answer too.

Signature? Signature!

Over-communicate what I say and oversimplify what I hear.

It's what I do

Finless
                    Yes you can control how hot things get based on how the kernel is clocked and throttled.

The T428 runs hot to me. Mk908 a little better. My CX-919 just got warm after watching 2 movies back to back. The QX1 right now is too unstable to run Netflix long enough to tell.

I have not piled Antutu back to back on these to see... just general use like most people would use them.

But the answer is YES... It's all how the governor is controlled.

Bob
                    Seems like the CX-919 is looking to be, at the very least, a well designed unit that is good bang for the buck.

Thx again Bob

Comment

Very useful video that will I have no doubt help in the choice of what to buy.
                      R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

Just remember what I said in the other post about "which to buy".

What today seems like the best device TOMORROW could change all that with better ROMs.

All of this hardware is "about" the same. It's all based off Rockchip "reference" design boards.

Other than wifi, BT and who uses the fastest DDR memory, I don't expect any of these devices to totally over perform any other one in the long run!

What the key is right now, in my opinion, is who is supporting the product with ROM updates and improvements!

Today I like the CX-919. Tomorrow.... This could change easily! Rikomagic is a great supporter of their devices with coming out with improved ROMs. Imito is another company that does the same. Tronsmart is new to this Rockchip game so it is a "wait and see" what they do.

Also WATCH OUT! Just like the history of the 3066 sticks.... CLONES! That is units advertised as MK908 as an example, but are NOT the same hardware and thus any new ROMs wont work on them! This has been a NIGHTMARE for the MK808 line of products and also the ug802 products! CLONES.....

I also suggest to wait and see what Minix comes up with. Sure their units are more expensive but they make an awesome product with great ROM support! Lets see if they do the same for the 3188 product line.

Just sharing what I think will be a TOTAL and COMPLETE repeat of what the 3066 devices went through earlier this year and last year. I am seeing a mirror image of this right now.

Bob

Comment

Me: Damn it Bob, you told me that the CX-919 was the one to buy!

Bob: No I didn't, I was intentionally vague.

Me: No you said it had a great stock rom and plenty of network signal, blazingly fast yet cool running.

Bob: Nope, read here on the forum. See, i n t e n t i o n a l l y v a g u e.

Comment

Not being vague... TODAY for me the CX-919 works the best. Wifi works the best of all the sticks so far.
                            Video streams best of all so far. But it is only Android 4.1.1 at this time.

But tomorrow when a new ROM comes out for one of the other sticks, this could change.

I think I am being pretty straight about that.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                              Not being vague... TODAY for me the CX-919 works the best. Wifi works the best of all the sticks so far.
                              Video streams best of all so far. But it is only Android 4.1.1 at this time.

But tomorrow when a new ROM comes out for one of the other sticks, this could change.

I think I am being pretty straight about that.

Bob
                              lol. Bob, I know what you're saying. I'm just pulling your chain.

I realize that often others don't realize how much things can change over the life cycle of a piece of hardware that relies heavily on the evolution of firmware. The underdog can quickly become best in class much in the way I had said in my long winded question earlier.

That being said, some people don't want to hear the potential downside to every plus. They just want you to pick a damn horse, not realizing that you essentially have made your 'short term pick'. Hence the humor.

I apologize for the confusion, and if you don't get/appreciate my humor, please don't look in the boot animation discussion thread

Comment

Working...
                              X