No announcement yet.

AML Mini M8S(S905) latest firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. Quite surprised to see this thread move on. I thought hardly anyone would have bought this box.

Tidav7578, I contacted Gearbest as I bought the box from them. I told them they either send me an image or they refund the item.

Nice to know you've dabbled with the insides. What solution do you think there is for the WiFi? Do you think soldering a different antenna and drilling holes in the plastic casing work?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Krakatau
      Try to update using this ota_minim8s file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jw2qtclngx...04L03.zip?dl=0

1. Copy the file to the root directory of microSD card. Don't unzip.
      2. Rename it update.zip
      3. Run update.
      How did your manage to get that? Is it the full ROM or does it just cause a download and update?

Comment

Originally posted by Queenslayer View Post
        Wow. Quite surprised to see this thread move on. I thought hardly anyone would have bought this box.

Tidav7578, I contacted Gearbest as I bought the box from them. I told them they either send me an image or they refund the item.

Nice to know you've dabbled with the insides. What solution do you think there is for the WiFi? Do you think soldering a different antenna and drilling holes in the plastic casing work?
        Well that box was one of the first S905 with 2GB ram and not too expensive.
        And yes, I think it's possible to solder another antenna. Too bad there's no connector like in my xiaomi cam.
        But anyone who knows how to solder should manage. It's even possible to drill the case and install the antenna properly.

But my real concern is with thermal management.
        You have a large piece of metal acting as a heatsink, but nowhere to dissipate the heat quickly in the cramped all plastic case.
        So when the heatsink is hot, throtling occurs....

But since the box is small and cheap, it's always possible to:
        Get rid of the casing
        Screw it behind the screen
        Desolder the ir receptor and place it near a corner of the tv
        Use an old gpu rad or any other idea to improve heat dissipation

Comment

How did your manage to get that? Is it the full ROM or does it just cause a download and update?

For me, since it's 444 MB, it's a full image. But last file mod is April 1st. And there are later updates I had after that...

It's useful tough, if the unit keeps rebooting and the reset buton does not work
          Last edited by Tidav7578; 05-03-2016, 20:47.

Comment

OpenELEC downloaded directly from the site , is compatible ? Someone on youtube shows uploading.
            This Video will show you how to install openelec mediacentre on your amlogic devices such as your mxq, m8, m8s, m8s+ minix and beelink android tv boxes. Open...

Comment

Originally posted by Tidav7578

Well that box was one of the first S905 with 2GB ram and not too expensive.
              And yes, I think it's possible to solder another antenna. Too bad there's no connector like in my xiaomi cam.
              But anyone who knows how to solder should manage. It's even possible to drill the case and install the antenna properly.

But my real concern is with thermal management.
              You have a large piece of metal acting as a heatsink, but nowhere to dissipate the heat quickly in the cramped all plastic case.
              So when the heatsink is hot, throtling occurs....

But since the box is small and cheap, it's always possible to:
              Get rid of the casing
              Screw it behind the screen
              Desolder the ir receptor and place it near a corner of the tv
              Use an old gpu rad or any other idea to improve heat dissipation
              Yes, heat dissipation can be resolved by making a slits either side of the case. The case definitely does need to be modded, either for the antenna or the WiFi. Good finds. Thanks

Comment

I got it from http://www.dearkey.com/mini-m8s/. The links are bad but you can still follow them to baidu server. It's a full ROM

Comment

Has anyone managed to use fastboot on this?

Comment

I tried recovery yesterday, and it worked. Didn't try to flash though.

Comment

Originally posted by Krakatau View Post
                      I got it from http://www.dearkey.com/mini-m8s/. The links are bad but you can still follow them to baidu server. It's a full ROM
                      DON'T WORK

Comment

The above link does not work . Maybe now the new is this ? MiniMx-G.

Comment

Originally posted by Tidav7578
                          I tried recovery yesterday, and it worked. Didn't try to flash though.
                          You mean stock recovery? That would always work. The issue is trying to get TWRP. Even an outdated CWM would do for now

Comment

Originally posted by frostmoon69
                            The above link does not work . Maybe now the new is this ? MiniMx-G.
                            You have to extract part of the link that begins ...http://baidu...

Comment

then I have tried all the links but what I get is "Sorry
                              The page or document you are looking for does not Seem to exist . "
                              Could you please write a broken link ?

Comment

You mean stock recovery? That would always work. The issue is trying to get TWRP. Even an outdated CWM would do for now

I don't know where I can check what recovery it is, since there's no info when in recovery mode, it's probably the stock one.

Comment

Working...
                                X