Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mediacodec was something that was part of Kodi 16 development but has no real relevance to the latest AMLogic SOC's, so is generally considered to be best left disabled.

RKCodec is specifically for Rockchip boxes and should always be considered experimental, so may well at times exhibit issues.

Adjust display refresh rate may require a delay, which will be variable because this will be the time that it takes to make the refresh rate change and the variable is that is will use different times on each persons TV set.

When looking at errors you should always consider that a new skin or addons may be the cause of some of them, so always best to ask the specific developer for advice too.

FTMC is based on Kodi 16, so I'm not sure how it can relate specifically to 17. That is not to say that there are many aspects of 16 that will have been carried forward to 17 but if a skin is specific to 17 then it's installation will likely fail because upon installation it will fail to meet the required dependencies required by an older version of Kodi.
    R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

i hope you guys release FTMC Rockchip based on kodi 17 i realy like this build and RKCodec works great

Comment

Originally posted by EagleEyeXZ View Post
        i hope you guys release FTMC Rockchip based on kodi 17 i realy like this build and RKCodec works great
        The only way for that to happen is if Rockchip release something that enables the functionality in the firmware and Kodi, so you may have a very long wait for anybody to have the chance to build something based upon that.

What is required is for the manufacturers to change they way that they develop firmware, which at the moment seems highly unlikely.

Comment

Updated 1º post!

Comment

Originally posted by bluesmanuk View Post
            Mediacodec was something that was part of Kodi 16 development but has no real relevance to the latest AMLogic SOC's, so is generally considered to be best left disabled.

RKCodec is specifically for Rockchip boxes..
            Mediacodec is Android's public API standard. It's not abandoned or recommended against, it's the opposite, quite actually.

Any android firmware >16 that doesn't implement mediacodec should be considered a non-standard fork. Amlogic is the messiest of such forks.

Kodi builds against the mediacodec standard, exclusively, after finally abandoning libstagefright hacks in favor of the public mediacodec api. (this is what was called 'abandoning' Rockchip).

RKcodec is yet another fragmentation and deviation from public methods, and will likely go the way of libstagefright, which is nowhere but to a dead end.

Same nonsense goes for the lack of refresh rate switching in Rockchip firmware - Rockchip ignores public methods and forces users to use RKcodec in order to have refresh rate switching, instead of sticking to public standards and implementing the display.mode api. All the builds implementing RKcodec are also very dated and lacking many enhancements all in the name of RK pushing its own codec.

RK finally gave in on audio, and implements the IEC 61937 standard - but guess what? As Kodi and others migrate towards mediacodec audio implementation, which is already under development, everyone relying on RK's bastardized RKcodec will be assed out - again.

FTMC is excellent as an option for RK devices for the time being.

The best Kodi performance I've seen is in the hacked Kodi builds from China floating around the net.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomari View Post

Mediacodec is Android's public API standard. It's not abandoned or recommended against, it's the opposite, quite actually.

Kodi builds against the mediacodec standard, exclusively, after finally abandoning libstagefright hacks in favor of the public mediacodec api. (this is what was called 'abandoning' Rockchip).

RKcodec is yet another fragmentation and deviation from public methods, and will likely go the way of libstagefright, which is nowhere but to a dead end.

Same nonsense goes for the lack of refresh rate switching in Rockchip firmware - Rockchip ignores public methods and forces users to use RKcodec in order to have refresh rate switching, instead of sticking to public standards and implementing the display.mode api. All the builds implementing RKcodec are also very dated and lacking many enhancements all in the name of RK pushing its own codec.

RK finally gave in on audio, and implements the IEC 61937 standard - but guess what? As Kodi and others migrate towards mediacodec audio implementation, which is already under development, everyone relying on RK's bastardized RKcodec will be assed out - again.

FTMC is excellent as an option for RK devices for the time being.

The best Kodi performance I've seen is in the hacked Kodi builds from China floating around the net.
              My mistake in typing.

I meant to have said AMCodec.

Comment

...ha! Whoops.. I actually wondered if that was the case. It's a shame RK is becoming the new AML ...

RKcodec is the new AMCodec. It never ends.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomari View Post
                  ...ha! Whoops.. I actually wondered if that was the case. It's a shame RK is becoming the new AML ...

RKcodec is the new AMCodec. It never ends.
                  ?

For Kodi 17.0 we will have two release versions,
                  Version 1, support original kodi 17 version. We are now testing the performance and functions based on the SDK base of a MediaCodec version.
                  So any original kodi 17 version can be used in our SDK. this version will be released first on RK3328 Android 7.1.
                  Version 2, will be based on RKCodec changes and include changes not possible with MediaCodec like 10-bit h264, 3D playback, floating point 23.976/59.98fps.

Kodi 17 doesn't use MediacCodec implementations for Audio, it uses the IEC61937 audio standard from Android Nougat that Rockchip already backported to their Lollipop and Marshmallow firmware.
                  They were the only Android tv box chipset company to have done it just after Nvidia. Now the Xiaomi Mibox also implemented it. According to fritsch the Kodi Audio developer they will only use IEC61937 from now on.

So RK has a very different strategy than Amlogic.

Comment

Originally posted by mo123 View Post

?

For Kodi 17.0 we will have two release versions,
                    Version 1, support original kodi 17 version. We are now testing the performance and functions based on the SDK base of a MediaCodec version.
                    So any original kodi 17 version can be used in our SDK. this version will be released first on RK3328 Android 7.1.
                    Version 2, will be based on RKCodec changes and include changes not possible with MediaCodec like 10-bit h264, 3D playback, floating point 23.976/59.98fps.

Kodi 17 doesn't use MediacCodec implementations for Audio, it uses the IEC61937 audio standard from Android Nougat that Rockchip already backported to their Lollipop and Marshmallow firmware.
                    They were the only Android tv box chipset company to have done it just after Nvidia. Now the Xiaomi Mibox also implemented it. According to fritsch the Kodi Audio developer they will only use IEC61937 from now on.

So RK has a very different strategy than Amlogic.
                    I didn't say they use mediacodec audio - you and I both know full well it's backported IEC61937 - primary advantages being HD audio capabilities. I know you know I'm pretty active in the Kodi forums (when I'm not being banned) so I get a good glimpse of what devices are adhering to public apis and which ones aren't.

Development has begun on mediacodec audio, probably the largest factor in it not being further advanced is the lack of a maintainer. I've seen several early test builds. I anticipate conflict between the public/private method to grow and the development gap to widen, to the detriment of the end user. The Kodi builds implementing RKcodec are already dated as is - and that's without a maintainer, and RK is still way behind.

You seem overly sympathetic, and perhaps keen to, the RKcodec private method. It's going to end up in a dead end; it already is. I get your point about RK playing it differently from AML, but that's only halfway true, as long as they neglect to implement public apis in favor of their private m methods, it's all going to cause devices to continue in an unsupported state. Kodi is a perfect example.

Comment

I can't find the path from FTMC. Where is the path for my Kodi Backup? Isn't in the same folder! I hope, anyone can help me. FTMC is perfect for me, but i need my backup from Kodi!

Comment

Its the same as kodi...

Comment

It's not the same on my android box.

How is the path?

/Android/data/??

Comment

Originally posted by KioTronic View Post
                            It's not the same on my android box.

How is the path?

/Android/data/??
                            It is the same.

From the SDCard navigate to Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/

Comment

superceleron is FTMC supposed to work on Android 4.2.2 Jellybean?
                              I am running into problems when I load it.
                              It loads up fine but it is immediately clear that it can't access the network resources because.
                              No RSS feed working, no way it can access Kodi's repositories and when I try to access Settings > System Information it blows up and I am back to Android desktop.
                              Here's a log that I managed to paste to pastebin.
                              Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Hope it can help to understand why it won't work fine.
                              Thanks in advance.
                              Tronsmart "Prometheus" VS-ATV-106
                              Dualcore 8726-M6 @ 1.5GHz - 1GB RAM 8GB iSD
                              Finless ROM 1.3 - Android 4.2.2
                              XBMC v13 RC1

Comment

it should but i never tried on it!
                                I will have a look at that! thks for the log

Comment

Working...
                                X