Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flashing With The USB Burning Tool - No Holding Fn Button Method...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flashing With The USB Burning Tool - No Holding Fn Button Method...

This is for the S95, but may work on others.
    For starters, let's get a couple of things configured. Make sure you are using the primary USB ports on your PC/Laptop. Make sure you are not using a USB 3.0 port. Make sure that your USB ports do not have power saving enabled. Make sure you are using the S95's OTG port, this is the one closest to the SD card slot.

NOTE: It is very important, that you follow every step as written and in order.

1.) On your computer, go to C:\Program Files\Amlogic\USB_Burning_Tool\WorldCup_Device.
    In that folder is an exe file named, "InstallDriver.exe", run that, if you get permission dialog popups, allow them.

2.) Download the correct update file for your device and the version you want, make sure you download the file specified for use with the USB Burning Tool. The file may require extraction to end up with a file ending in ".img".

3.) We are using a method that does not require pressing the Fn switch.

4.) Open the USB Burning Tool and load the update image you downloaded.

5.)Remove the power cable from the S95. Disconnect all USB accessories and disconnect any SATA drive. Remove SD card if one is inserted.

6.) Starting with the Male-to-Male USB cable unplugged from both ends, insert the USB cable in to the S95's OTG port, do not connect the other end to the PC yet.

7.) In the USB tool, leave settings at default, except check "Force Erase All" and click the Start button.

8.) Insert the Male-to-Male USB cable's free end in to your PC.

9.) Watch the tool to see if the S95 gets recognized, if it does the flash should begin.
    If after 30-40 seconds it does not recognize the S95, Do nothing to the USB Burning Tool, unplug the USB cable from your PC and wait 5 seconds. Reinsert the USB cable in to your PC. Repeat step # 9. Try this 3-4 times before giving up.

10.) If the flash is successful, plug the power cable in to the S95 and disconnect the USB cable. Stop and close the USB Burning Tool.
    Last edited by RISCy Dude; 12-31-2016, 04:08.

Edit --- never mind, I was reading the "official" guide <http://forum.tronsmart.com/forum/vega-s95-official-firmware-releases/1682-how-to-update-the-vega-s95-firmware-manually#.V4q9EB4j0cU> and saw that the mac 0 was an error. After trying to follow their exact directions and failing again and again with the same error, I noticed that in the license folder after initial install and run there was only a single file called mac_ether.ini. So in a text editor, I simply cleared that file and pasted in the contents of the file of the same name in the license stuff that they said to download. After that I am going now. No idea why they say to copy the entire contents. That simply did not work for me. Cheers!

Hello and thanks for this guide. I am trying to use it to get my Telos back to Android from Remix. I am using 2.0.5.15 of the burning tool on Windows 10. I am sure that the usb port I am connected to is on the MB as I learned failure to do this creates all sorts of heck. I am sure the drivers are installed. And I can see the World Cup software as installed software on the PC.

First, in #7 you speak about the force erase all which I found and set in drop down. But you do not speak to any of the other checkboxes. I presume that the one for erase flash should be checked and by default the erase boot loader is checked so I left it that way. But there are also reset after and overwrite key checkboxes which are not checked by default.

When I do get any response out of the burning tool after connecting the Telos to my PC in step 8, all I get is a get key failed error as shown in the screen print. Any suggestions? Thanks very much.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by davidw; 10-22-2016, 00:27.

Comment

I don't change any of the other check boxes, I just additionally check the "Force Erase All" box.
      I see you have resolved the MAC 0 error, glad you got it going.
      I will clarify the guide when I get to a PC.
      Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

I have a connection but it will not start ...any ideas ? ( Telos ) I have also tried with applying power and holding Fn button ...nothing

Also tried Fn recovery with it hooked to TV ..did not go into recovery mode at all

Comment

Very useful tutorial congrats for you post. :-)

Comment

Thank you. Glad it helped.

Comment

Hi, Happy New Year everyone!!
              Exist USB Burning Tool for linux I'm searching but not finding... :-(

Comment

Hello genericcfcr, Welcome to Freaktab.
                I do not think there is a Linux flashing utility for AMlogic devices. There are Linux utilities for Rockchip devices, but that won't help now.

Comment

Originally posted by RISCy Dude View Post
                  Hello genericcfcr, Welcome to Freaktab.
                  I do not think there is a Linux flashing utility for AMlogic devices. There are Linux utilities for Rockchip devices, but that won't help now.
                  Thank your very much RISCy Dude. Happy New Year for you!!! :-)

Comment

Step "10"
                    Do u have to plug power into box after secsefull install?
                    I have alfawise s92...
                    Last edited by TechGTX; 01-06-2017, 14:40.

Comment

You can plug the power in anytime after the box gets recognized by the USB Burning Tool. However, unless you tick "Reset Device" in the burning tool options prior to pressing start, you may still have to power cycle the box to boot after firmware install.

Many PC's USB ports will not deliver adequate power to run these boxes, so returning power to the box after tool recognition is essential.

Let me know if more info is needed.

Comment

Thank you for your time and help.
                        I truly don't want to brick my alfawise s92 , and want to install the firmware 100% successful.
                        I have add a photo of the settings is it ok?
                        ----
                        i didn't get the point, to plug into power or not ? i have to select "Reset after success" in settings or not ?
                        If there was a proper video that shows step by step it could help
                        Thanks
                        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

To start, disconnect the power cable from the TV box. After a successful flash, the power cable can be plugged back in.

Your settings in the picture are correct.

Setting "Reset After Success" is not required. That setting simply tells the box to reboot after a successful flash and is not necessary.

For step 10, don't worry about reconnecting power until you have disconnected the USB cable.
                          After disconnecting USB, the box will be without power, so at that point you will need to reconnect power to the box.

I will attempt a video or some screenshots later, time permitting.

In the meantime, let me know if you need more info.

Comment

Thanks for your help and replys, it's not obvious that you "have" to help, so thumbs up

I'll be waiting for your video, & then I will flash the software.
                            Prefer to see Step by step video.
                            Don't want to make mistakes...
                            Thanks again for your help!

Comment

Hi guys, I have a problem with this tool under windows10,
                              I installed both version 2.0.5.15_build8 and 2.0.7 but both do not start giving me the error 0x000007b Do you know how to help me?

Comment

Working...
                              X