Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MK908 Insides + Cooling Mod (WARNING: Pic intensive)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whoops.. fixing

LOL. thanks for the posts folks. I had made some changes to my web servers and forgot to open them back up to the world and not just my intranet

(was reconfiguring one to see if I could make it an update server for a ROM I've been working on.. guess I might just stick with a dropbox dump)
    Question Reality: Find Your Own Truth!

My MK908 Cooling Mod and Breakdown : HERE
    My RK3188 Github Repos (NOTE: Works-in-Progress!) : HERE

Sent my Epic4G AND Backflip into nearspace... what have YOU done with your phone?

Want to say thanks for something I did/said or DONATE to my drink fund?

Comment

Wow, great and very "clean" mod, keeping the device small but well refrigerated.

Great work!!

leolas
      REMEMBER, YOUR FEEDBACK IS VERY IMPORTANT TO US.
      My devices:
      Minix Neo X7; Minix Neo X8-H , Minix Neo Z64W & Z64 (Sponsored by Minix)
      MK902 & MK902II(Sponsored by RKM)
      Beelink M8B & Beelink R89 (Sponsored by Beelink)
      Tronsmart VEGA S89H (Sponsored by
      Gearbest.com)
      MELE-PCG03 (Sponsored by Gearbest.com) Discount Coupon:MPCG03
      Ainol Intel Z3735 MiniPC(Sponsored by Gearbest.com)
      Thanks to them I can try to support your devices http://freaktab.com/core/images/smilies/wink.png

Comment

I'm thinking noise. How loud are the fans?

Can't I just set a plastic bag of ice water under the thing while I'm watching a movie?

Seriously though, how loud are liquid coolers? Could one be used with an AMP?

Comment

Watercooling would be really overkill on an AMP and would probably double or almost triple the footprint size of the AMP. Noise-wise, I think it would be comparable with most of the hums from the small cooling fans. On my particular mod, the fans give off a very low hum and are only really noticeable if I don't have something cushioning the AMP's contact with a surface. Other than that, I usually don't notice them. If I had a sound meter, I'd test it but I don't, so sorry. Regardless, the little sound I do hear is a better trade off for the fact that no matter what I'm running on my AMP, it doesn't go any higher than maybe 5 degrees Fahrenheit over room temperature.

Sent my Epic4G AND Backflip into nearspace... what have YOU done with your phone?

Comment

Yeah after some research I see that everything you're saying sums it up.

I just need to find the right ROM and Kernel first before I attempt any case mods.

I'm picturing something with a Vesa Mount and an on/off switch on a lead that I can velcro somewhere out of sight.

My biggest pet peeve about the HTPC I was using was the fan noise. I'd be willing to invest in the right components for a worthwhile DIY project.

My manual dexterity is my biggest worry. Detail work on tiny things usually end up trashed in my hands.

Comment

Hi, I want to do the same mod but removing the original heatsink is giving me challenge, its pretty hard... I don't want to put apply too much force on the heatsink to remove it.

what technic did you use to remove your heatsink?

thanks.

Comment

Re: MK908 Insides + Cooling Mod (WARNING: Pic intensive)

I hope you get CM up and running. I have a 919 which should be pretty much the same device, when something is ready please let us know so that we can help with testing.

As for the SDK v2.0 it has already been extracted and used in Strauzos rom. But if you're talking about it in another form then I really hope you can get it.

These little things really need some development love.

Signature? Signature!

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                  Hi, I want to do the same mod but removing the original heatsink is giving me challenge, its pretty hard... I don't want to put apply too much force on the heatsink to remove it.

what technic did you use to remove your heatsink?

thanks.
                  I used a blow dryer on the heatsink for a couple minutes and twisted the heatsink right off without much trouble

Comment

Originally posted by thesawolf View Post
                    I used a blow dryer on the heatsink for a couple minutes and twisted the heatsink right off without much trouble
                    Thanks, your trick worked.

Two more questions, the graphene Article Freeze, does not seem to cure like glue, it can me moved around, is this still ok?

if I want 1080p kernel with Strauzo "T428 Nexus Rom", what kernel, rom, boot combination do I use? What is the best 1080p rom at the moment regarding the stutter problem?

thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                      Thanks, your trick worked.

Two more questions, the graphene Article Freeze, does not seem to cure like glue, it can me moved around, is this still ok?

if I want 1080p kernel with Strauzo "T428 Nexus Rom", what kernel, rom, boot combination do I use? What is the best 1080p rom at the moment regarding the stutter problem?

thanks.
                      Yeah.. graphene doesn't get set like most thermal pastes do, that's part of the reason why I have the cooling fans keeping the heatsinks in place with the wire bracket. Otherwise, you could get some wire run between some fins to keep the heatsinks in place if you use graphene or if you use thermal paste, you should be fine after it sets. I just used graphene since I had a bunch on hand because I've been using them on my PC CPUs. YMMV.

As for mix-matching rom's and kernels, I can't give you any advice on that. I don't normally do that, I usually just build my own (which I'm working on/testing right now with my own kernels and CM10.1.1). G'luck

Comment

Originally posted by thesawolf View Post
                        Yeah.. graphene doesn't get set like most thermal pastes do, that's part of the reason why I have the cooling fans keeping the heatsinks in place with the wire bracket. Otherwise, you could get some wire run between some fins to keep the heatsinks in place if you use graphene or if you use thermal paste, you should be fine after it sets. I just used graphene since I had a bunch on hand because I've been using them on my PC CPUs. YMMV.

As for mix-matching rom's and kernels, I can't give you any advice on that. I don't normally do that, I usually just build my own (which I'm working on/testing right now with my own kernels and CM10.1.1). G'luck
                        Thanks, lets us know what you find works best with 1080p.

on my side, I am building an android TV box, which will contain one MK908, 2x40mm brushless fan, 3xUSB, one RJ45, one HDD and one 5 volts 7 amps power supply to run all the components. I will share the components and put pictures when finished... I am working on this project because I wanted a Minix X7 which is not released yet... But should be soon.

Comment

Hi,

Really great work you did here.

I was wondering if there is any update on your CM work? Is there still work in progress?
                          As many others I would love to see CM on these sticks!

Thanks for your hard work!

Comment

Originally posted by finrodize View Post
                            Hi,

Really great work you did here.

I was wondering if there is any update on your CM work? Is there still work in progress?
                            As many others I would love to see CM on these sticks!

Thanks for your hard work!
                            CM work is progressing well but I've been focusing on getting the kernel and CWM (recovery, 6.0.3.3) running to a point that I'm happy with. Once I can iron out a few bugs in my kernel and get CWM running with a few more options (keyboard works fine, just need to get mouse navigation working better either with gesture navigation or with a navigation overlay), I'll continue concentrating on CM (10.1.1). Expect some test kernels, CWM, and initial CM builds soon enough. Hopefully Strauzo releases some of his kernel work soon and we can get some of his fixes implemented so can move on to other things to focus on.

Comment

Re: MK908 Insides + Cooling Mod (WARNING: Pic intensive)

Sounds sweet!

Please let us know if there is something we can help out with.

Signature? Signature!

Comment

Awesome job. Here is mine.

Comment

Working...
                                X