PC Heatsink on s912 motherboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice.. Add some more led
    Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Originally posted by permabanned_pete View Post
      I am just curious if someone has done something like this, to try and get better performance and reliability from the s912.
      Yes.

I have a T95Z (hexagon shaped box) and opened it up and upgraded the stock passive heatsink by just adding more passive heatsink materials:

I bought thermal pads https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A91FCLQ/
      Click image for larger version  Name:	41iM1cGHCUL.jpg Views:	1 Size:	19.0 KB ID:	622381

And a few of the same aluminum heatsink the device comes with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GWFMG1S/
      Click image for larger version  Name:	51nAIpzd1HL._SL1100_.jpg Views:	1 Size:	50.4 KB ID:	622382

The device also comes with a metal plate that is glued to the top lid of the case (you'll see it when you open up the device). The poorly designed stock heatsink is meant to transfer heat from the heatsink attached to the processor, to this metal plate that is glued to the inside of the top lid. I simply stacked a few of the aluminum heatsinks and adding thermal padding as necessary so that the heat is transferred much more efficiently to the top metal plate.

My entire device stays very cool now, both top and bottom barely warm to the touch. Previously the bottom would get very warm and the top would not get warm at all.

Edit: Had to open it up for something else, pics of passive heatsink example:

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_21600.jpg Views:	1 Size:	110.4 KB ID:	622756
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image_21601.jpg Views:	1 Size:	73.8 KB ID:	622757
      Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	111.1 KB ID:	622792
      Click image for larger version  Name:	4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	179.3 KB ID:	622791

Materials ~ $15 (with plenty left over for other projects). CPU temps are ~50C idle and 65C max.
      Last edited by tutorialbs; 01-17-2017, 05:16.

Comment

glad to see others messing with the cooling on these things, however, nobody has added a fan yet?

Comment

Perma cant wait to see your fan running
          This was my effort:- http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...-i7-s905/page8 (post 171)
          Here was my finished project:- http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...i7-s905/page14 (post 205)
          Cheers
          Kevin
          Last edited by kevin1341; 01-15-2017, 09:15. Reason: Added finished product link

Comment

Originally posted by kevin1341 View Post
            Perma cant wait to see your fan running
            This was my effort:- http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...-i7-s905/page8 (post 171)
            Here was my finished project:- http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...i7-s905/page14 (post 205)
            Cheers
            Kevin
            Now thats What Im Talkin About!
            I aassume that fan runs at 5 V...?

Comment

Yes both items were 5v.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin1341 View Post
                Yes both items were 5v.
                Very nice. What are you idle/max load temps?

Comment

Temperature sits at 49c idle and about 54c at stress test

Comment

Originally posted by permabanned_pete View Post
                    I am just curious if someone has done something like this, to try and get better performance and reliability from the s912.
                    i have an older Zalman PC heatsink which was giant for 10 years ago, so it would cover half the s912 board with the copper alone.
                    I guess i could put thermal paste nonconductive on top of all the components the heatsink would be under and not even use the fan built in?
                    Would probably run an open top case or something like that because I'd want to keep the front display with the clock but get great cooling on it.

Saw a hole in the lid and put a big heatsink on top of the existing sink with a silicone pad.
                    Attached Files

Comment

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                      MINIX U1, MINI MXIII, MINI MXIII II, GT1, SEA I

Comment

C'mon fellas that's not a Heat Sink
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	sink.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	626010

That is a heat sink
                        treboR
                        Please consider
                        Donating to Freaktab

Comment

O.M.G......

Comment

DNIZoid Awesome idea I like it.

Just got an A-wise S92, gonna play with it this weekend. I have a 2.4GHz rc radio antenna for Wi-Fi and various heatsinks including some smaller ones purchased for this kind of job.
                            gotta find my thermal paste.
                            nothing for certain yet.
                            But I imagine I will need to cut the top to fit over taller sinks, and probably will cut vents in the bottom as well as over top of shorter sinks. If it turns out well I will try to snap at least some cell pics.

Got a 905X 1g/8g that already had a standard passive sink I added rough vents and antenna to it which gave me slightly better Wi-Fi signal and eliminated the occasional lockup when running semi-hard for extended periods.
                            no pics of previous work as mods were purely functional and looked rough at best.
                            Last edited by deebee123; 02-17-2017, 22:30.

Comment

Is a gt1??? You remove metal plate on the board??

Inviato dal mio SM-G920F utilizzando Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X