Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polaroid pmind701 USB host mode, any success?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cable is mini usb B. ****, amazon, monoprice...don't pay $10 for one. You could get 3-4 for that.

Sent from my Polaroid PMID701i using Tapatalk 2
    Polaroid PMID701i 13
    Stock Rom from S.T.'s site
    Fully rooted
    Google's Market installed

Comment

Originally posted by lukenova View Post
      The cable is mini usb B. ****, amazon, monoprice...don't pay $10 for one. You could get 3-4 for that.

Sent from my Polaroid PMID701i using Tapatalk 2
      The problem with this is that you really don't know what you're getting. It may or may not work with your device, and the shipping and handing charges will kill any savings.

Comment

I know

Originally posted by c,lei View Post
        The problem with this is that you really don't know what you're getting. It may or may not work with your device, and the shipping and handing charges will kill any savings.
        That's why I was asking for a link to one or a brand that works with our PolaDroids. I found one on Amazon that half the reviews said it was OTG and the other half said it wasn't.

"UPDATE" I found one that half of reviewers said it was OTG and half said it was not, I'm going to try though, its only $2 with shipping, not much to lose. This is the link.
        Last edited by Android_n00b; 05-03-2012, 23:21.

Comment

Brand?

Originally posted by notpod View Post
          I have a OTG cable from another device not the offical one from the order form in the box.

*Now working* with a lexar 2gb thumb drive. It does not like my microSD adapter tho.

It *DOES* work with my USB mouse! The right button is BACK and the left side button is HOME. wheel button is MENU. neat-O!

update: USB keybpard working

update: USB ethernet adapter for the WII works!

It looked to me while poking around inside that it should be ready for other devices...

Bluetooth looked like it was #commented out tho.

Anyone else willing to share thier experiences?
          Is there a brand or something on the cable, I'm really trying to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterR View Post
            Thx! Ill see what I can work out.

I cant even get it to light up a flash drive or the bluetooth adapter. No power to the USB devices.
            The adapter and cable do work with a PC though.

NVM I need the OTG cable. Will get one or make one.

Vid to make one
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COkLEJGo6vo
            I bought an OTG cable, and my bluetooth module actually DOES light up, and reports in the kernel logs.
            But the last line tells me there is no kernel module there for it, or something else.

I/USB3G ( 92): event { 'add', '/devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0/usb1/1-1', 'usb', '', 189, 14 }
            I/USB3G ( 92): path : '/sys/devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0/usb1/1-1'
            I/USB3G ( 92): VID :size 5,vid_path '/sys/devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0/usb1/1-1/idVendor',VID '0a5c
            I/USB3G ( 92): '.
            I/USB3G ( 92): PID :size 5,Pid_path '/sys/devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0/usb1/1-1/idProduct',PID '4500
            I/USB3G ( 92): cmd=/system/etc/usb_modeswitch.sh /system/etc/usb_modeswitch.d/0a5c_4500 &,
            I/USB3G ( 92): excute ret : 0,err:No such file or directory
            I/wpa_supplicant( 357): [CTRL_IFACE]SIGNAL_POLL
            I/USB3G ( 92): event { 'add', '/devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0/usb1/1-1/1-1.1', 'usb', '', 189, 15 }
            I/USB3G ( 92): path : '/sys/devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0/usb1/1-1/1-1.1'
            I/USB3G ( 92): VID :size 5,vid_path '/sys/devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0/usb1/1-1/1-1.1/idVendor',VID '0a5c
            I/USB3G ( 92): PID :size 5,Pid_path '/sys/devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0/usb1/1-1/1-1.1/idProduct',PID '4502
            I/USB3G ( 92): cmd=/system/etc/usb_modeswitch.sh /system/etc/usb_modeswitch.d/0a5c_4502 &,
            Jim
            ---
            Ainol Novo 7 Elf II Dual Core
            Milestone (Droid) - Chevy SS GB ROM
            Milestone X - Rooted Stock GB ROM

Comment

Originally posted by Lexridge View Post
              I bought an OTG cable, and my bluetooth module actually DOES light up, and reports in the kernel logs.
              But the last line tells me there is no kernel module there for it, or something else.

I/USB3G ( 92): event { 'add', '/devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0/usb1/1-1', 'usb', '', 189, 14 }
              I/USB3G ( 92): path : '/sys/devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0/usb1/1-1'
              I/USB3G ( 92): VID :size 5,vid_path '/sys/devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0/usb1/1-1/idVendor',VID '0a5c
              I/USB3G ( 92): PID :size 5,Pid_path '/sys/devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0/usb1/1-1/idProduct',PID '4500
              I/USB3G ( 92): cmd=/system/etc/usb_modeswitch.sh /system/etc/usb_modeswitch.d/0a5c_4500 &,
              I/wpa_supplicant( 357): [CTRL_IFACE]SIGNAL_POLL
              I/USB3G ( 92): event { 'add', '/devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0/usb1/1-1/1-1.1', 'usb', '', 189, 15 }
              I/USB3G ( 92): path : '/sys/devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0/usb1/1-1/1-1.1'
              I/USB3G ( 92): VID :size 5,vid_path '/sys/devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0/usb1/1-1/1-1.1/idVendor',VID '0a5c
              I/USB3G ( 92): PID :size 5,Pid_path '/sys/devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0/usb1/1-1/1-1.1/idProduct',PID '4502
              I/USB3G ( 92): cmd=/system/etc/usb_modeswitch.sh /system/etc/usb_modeswitch.d/0a5c_4502 &,

where did you get the cable from?

Comment

Originally posted by Lexridge View Post
                What this is telling you is you do not have the driver for that specific USB device ID.
                I am sure you have this file:
                /system/etc/usb_modeswitch.sh

But if you open this directory:
                /system/etc/usb_modeswitch.d/

You do not have this file:
                0a5c_4502

So it may work just not with that device you have.

Bob
                "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
                "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
                "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
                "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
                "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
                "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
                "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
                "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju Å¡to čine"
                "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by c,lei View Post
                  where did you get the cable from?
                  Amazon.com. It came with a USB keyboard and case for 7" tablets. It had two different cables with it.

Jim
                  ---

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                    What this is telling you is you do not have the driver for that specific USB device ID.
                    I am sure you have this file:
                    /system/etc/usb_modeswitch.sh

But if you open this directory:
                    /system/etc/usb_modeswitch.d/

You do not have this file:
                    0a5c_4502

So it may work just not with that device you have.

Bob
                    Yes, I figured this out eventually. Since these are merely text files, I was wondering if I could find one that was close enough, and modify it. However, that said, when I plug this bluetooth dongle into my Fedora 14 machine (Linux), it works, but the Fedora machine also does NOT have a file in the usb_modswitch.d directory matching 0a5c_4502. In fact, it has NO files starting with 0a5c in that directory. So, either it is created on the fly by the .ko module, or it is pulling it from somewhere else.

BTW, this dongle requires no special drivers that I know of. Even under Windows XP, it works without installing nothing more than the Microsoft Bluetooth stack.
                    Jim
                    ---

Comment

I was able to use a Polaroid usb cord from my Polaroid mp3 player with it for transferring from a computer to the tablet. Haven't tried anything else with it but it would be nice to use a use keyboard with it tho.
                      Tablets: Polaroid PMID 701i, PMID 4311, Zeki 10" tablet

"God Loves You"- Arlo Guthrie

Comment

Originally posted by cherylharrell1961 View Post
                        I was able to use a Polaroid usb cord from my Polaroid mp3 player with it for transferring from a computer to the tablet. Haven't tried anything else with it but it would be nice to use a use keyboard with it tho.
                        Hello!

Problem is, UIAM, those type of cables are not wired for 'host mode', and the large plug is of the wrong gender.

I have a powered hub; I might just play around with the idea just out of curiosity, but I don't think it will work. I sure would like a wireless keyboard for my tablet on the cheap...

73 DE N4RPS
                        Rob

Comment

Originally posted by N4RPS View Post
                          Hello!

Problem is, UIAM, those type of cables are not wired for 'host mode', and the large plug is of the wrong gender.

I have a powered hub; I might just play around with the idea just out of curiosity, but I don't think it will work. I sure would like a wireless keyboard for my tablet on the cheap...
                          I already tried this. It did not work, You have to have the host cable. USB hubs are "smart" enough to not allow host devices to "see" each other. You have to plug the hub in through the host (OTG) cable. A lousy side effect is, you cannot even charge while using a powered USB hub. We need to figure out how to add a second USB port to this device to enable charging while using in HOST mode.
                          Jim
                          ---

Comment

Just tried a wireless mouse and wireless USB keyboard using a hub. Both worked flawlessly! The mouse and keyboard were both Dell. Not only that, but my 16gb USB stick also worked at the same time. Yay!

This worked both with the hub being powered, and not powered.
                            Jim
                            ---

Comment

That's good to know. If I can find a keyboard cheap enough, I'd like to try it out and see. Thanks for the inf ya'll. I finally was able to delete the pic directly on the tablet.
                              Tablets: Polaroid PMID 701i, PMID 4311, Zeki 10" tablet

"God Loves You"- Arlo Guthrie

Comment

OTG Cable

I found a cable on Amazon, using the keywords provided by PRB (Thanks), I'm going to try it. I'll post again when I get and try it. That will be a while though, the shipping time is 17-28 business days. So I've got plenty of time to work on my boot animation.

Comment

Working...
                                X