Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to know if reset button is working correctly on W95 (S905w)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to know if reset button is working correctly on W95 (S905w)

First, please let me know if I'm not posting this question in the proper place. I tried posting some questions in the W95 area of the AZW section and didn't get any responses.
    Also, I'm a complete noob at this. This is my first Android TV box.
    My W95 box doesn't play smoothly in Kodi so I thought I'd try to dual boot to LibreELEC following the instructions here:

But every time I tried it just boots normally. My box is the 2GB version and I tried all of the 2g dtb files. I'm thinking my reset button may not be working correctly but I don't know what to expect if it is working correctly.
    I can hold the button in while the W95 is turned on and nothing happens. Is this normal?
    How can I tell if the reset button is working as it should?
    Thanks

first have you played with acceleration settings or whatever in kodi
    i dont use it but its hardware and surface options and scaling I think, playing with those can usually help.
    heres a vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzL-oS7uwdg
    as for the libreelec stuff id go here,its same but different method and doesnt require reset pin

gl

Comment

download your img LibreElec
      burn it on PC with Rufus, Etcher or Win32 Disk Imager
      download your correct dtb, rename it dtb.img and replace it on your micro sd
      insert it in your box
      download one terminal on playstore, i use this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...emulator&hl=fr
      launch it
      and enter this command:
      reboot update
      normally your box need to reboot and launch libreelec

Comment

Originally posted by kodiliscious View Post
        first have you played with acceleration settings or whatever in kodi
        i dont use it but its hardware and surface options and scaling I think, playing with those can usually help.
        heres a vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzL-oS7uwdg
        as for the libreelec stuff id go here,its same but different method and doesnt require reset pin

gl
        Thanks for the suggestion for acceleration settings. The settings really helped in Kodi but there is still some jerkiness, especially in 720P playback. Surprisingly, it is better in 1080i.

I'll mainly use this box to play US OTA television recordings (720p/1080i) in TS format.

My understanding is Kodi removed support for amcodec in 17x. Additionally, Amlogic doesn't support amcodec in Andriod 7x.

SPMC supports amcodec but it would crash when I enabled it. I followed the instructions below to enable amcodec and fix the crashing:
        OK, so I installed SPMC on my X96mini box. It as a Amlogic S905W CPU, running Android 7. Tried to play a MKV file 1280x720 HEVC AAC. Everytime I try to start the playback, it crashes. Here's 2 cras...

My main problem now is the screen goes black when I use the transport controls (reverse, skip forward, etc.). It comes back when the video starts playing (takes a few seconds) but I can't tell how far I'm skipping other than counting remote clicks. This happens in all players (Kodi, Plex, the included Media Center, etc.) other than SPMC will skip OK with 720p videos but not 1080i. I don't remember if this always happened or if I screwed something up by all the changes I tried.

I'll read the link you provided about the LibreElec dual boot but I'm still concerned about not being able to hard reset the box. If the reset doesn't work with the pin and I can't get the box to boot because I screwed something up then I'm screwed, right?

Is there a way to know if the reset pin is working?

Thanks for your help

Comment

Originally posted by manu_manu4 View Post
          download your img LibreElec
          burn it on PC with Rufus, Etcher or Win32 Disk Imager
          download your correct dtb, rename it dtb.img and replace it on your micro sd
          insert it in your box
          download one terminal on playstore, i use this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...emulator&hl=fr
          launch it
          and enter this command:
          reboot update
          normally your box need to reboot and launch libreelec
          Thanks, I'll take a look at this. Is the risk low that I won't be able to get back into the Android OS in case something isn't right with the dtb or other files on the SD card?
          I'm concerned that with the hard reset pin working I could easily brick my box.

Thanks for your help

Update: I did the reboot from the Terminal app and it worked. Kodi in LibreElec plays the videos smoothly and the transport keys work without blanking the screen.

Thanks
          Last edited by RKCRLR; 02-03-2018, 00:38.

Comment

OK,cool
            If you use microsd version of libreelec, when you remove microsd card, your box launch android (i never had a problem with this version)
            you also have a version who erase android and put only libreelec on your box, it boot quickly, but i always prefer use micosd version

Comment

I do have one problem with the dual boot system. The LibreElec Estuary skin has an option to Reboot from internal (this option isn't available in the Confluence skin which I prefer). The reboot to the stock Android works fine and if I reboot from android it reboots into LiblreElec. Everything is good until I try to play a video in LibreElec/Kodi. The system hangs with a black screen. To fix this I need to reboot into LibreElec, reboot from internal, and run the reboot update from the Android Terminal. Then everything is good again in LibreElec/Kodi until I reboot into Android. This happens if I choose the reboot from internal option or pull the SD card to reboot into Android.

Getting back on topic, I'm still concerned about not being able to perform a hard reset. Is this a common problem?
              Is there a simple test I can do to definitively determine whether or not the reboot pin is working?
              I don't know what I'm doing (a lot of trial and error) and I fear it is quite possible I'd get myself into a situation that I can't get into the OS. What would my options be if I get into this situation?

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Working...
              X