Model number
    rk31sdk

Kernel
    3.0.36+ hotack@adminroot-X9DRL-3F-iF #45

Build number
    rk31sdk-eng 4.2.2 JDQ39 eng.hotack.20130619.161350 test-keys

Vendor software version
    RK3188_R-BOX_ANDROID4.2.2-SDK_V1.0.0_130514

Does anyone knows what is the equivalent device discussed in this forum? My biggest problem for now is the 720 resolution (it will be used as a vnc terminal).

Regarding flashing, one has to crack it open to be able to access to the recover button. Would the procedure to flash require a otg cable?

Thanks for your help
    Last edited by dkcm; 09-06-2013, 17:07. Reason: more information

looks like a mk822?

Could you post detailed. Pictures of the pcb/motherboard ?
    What did you mean about : 720 and vnc?
    Does the device have ? Google market / usb otg / root /recovery console
    And how is the device? ( or better jet.. make/post a review... )

Cheers..

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell4you View Post
      Could you post detailed. Pictures of the pcb/motherboard ?
      What did you mean about : 720 and vnc?
      Does the device have ? Google market / usb otg / root /recovery console
      And how is the device? ( or b
      etter jet.. make/post a review... )

Cheers..
      Many thanks for your answers

As many of the devices, its display is by default 720p, but my screen is 1080. I use it to mirror the screen of my laptop with vnc and will of course need to use a kernel that enables this resolution.

It has Google play, its usb port labeled 1 corresponds to the micro usb of sticks and seems to be otg
      Last edited by dkcm; 09-09-2013, 11:39.

Comment

Thanks. I was precisely wondering if kernel version, build number, etc were enough to determine the exact device type.

Comment

Wow, this is pathetic...
          Instead of designing their own board, they use sticks and a half-assed PCB to make it into a set-top box?

Comment

Originally posted by fonix232 View Post
            Wow, this is pathetic...
            Instead of designing their own board, they use sticks and a half-assed PCB to make it into a set-top box?
            Yes indeed. In fact the big connector at the end of the stick is not a usb one, but has many more pins. I have found that flashing is best performed if one unplugs the cable from the micro usb port and uses a standard pc to micro usb port, which requires either to slightly unplug the big circuit, or to saw the a part of the side of the case.

It is therefore not the best device for hackers, unless they enjoy opening cases, etc.

That said, its cooling may be better than that of sticks.

Comment

Well..
              i disagree.. fonix232..most sticks hat/have wifi issues..
              now the can be re-used.. that pcb is not a bad idea
              -the question is:
              Would the buyer be happy, if hey never opend the box
              And thos the Pcb work?

But possible buyers should be informent..
              ------
              Question...
              If you flash the device..and I take it...that the Pcb needs drivers to work
              Would flashing not make the Pcb not function?

just a thought..

Comment

I got interupted.. (post above) family visit

I have a mk823 in transit,
                looking at the box.. its the same as the mk822/jesurun k8
                So, its probable the same Pcb with a Tabled mb inside (as there are no winner A31S sticks)

So, i'm keeping a eye out on this tread...

Comment

Well..
                  -the question is:
                  And thos the Pcb work?

But possible buyers should be informent..
                  ------
                  Question...
                  If you flash the device..and I take it...that the Pcb needs drivers to work
                  Would flashing not make the Pcb not function?

just a thought..
                  As you can see in the pic, the PCB mostly mirrors two USB ports (one micro-usb, which corresponds to USB1, and one which is doubled as USB2 et USB3, probably via a kind of hub), the micro-sd reader -> sd, and the end of the stick is the HDMI port. I do no know how ethernet is connected, more details when I actually manage to flash this thing.
                  Last edited by dkcm; 09-10-2013, 10:33.

Comment

What is this Monster ?
                    Never see so much Crap in one. The Cable they use for the connection between
                    the TV Stick and the PCB are not good.

Neomode

Comment

Open

Originally posted by dkcm View Post
                      As you can see in the pic, the PCB mostly mirrors two USB ports (one micro-usb, which corresponds to USB1, and one which is doubled as USB2 et USB3, probably via a kind of hub), the micro-sd reader -> sd, and the end of the stick is the HDMI port. I do no know how ethernet is connected, more details when I actually manage to flash this thing.
                      Hi,
                      I bought my Jesurun k8 with the intention to use it as mini-pc, perhps installing Picuntu.
                      ...and "hackwise" this model does not seem to be the best choise.
                      Is there a way to open the case without cracking it?
                      The only way to flash it is to open it (to access the recovery/reset button and USB micro connector), I guess?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by zxyk8 View Post
                        Hi,
                        I bought my Jesurun k8 with the intention to use it as mini-pc, perhps installing Picuntu.
                        ...and "hackwise" this model does not seem to be the best choise.
                        Is there a way to open the case without cracking it?
                        The only way to flash it is to open it (to access the recovery/reset button and USB micro connector), I guess?

Thanks!
                        Yes, the only way to access the recovery button is to open the case, but it is easy to do so. Crack-open referred to the fact that there are no screws. You will not destroy the case when you open it.

Comment

Originally posted by dkcm View Post
                          Yes indeed. In fact the big connector at the end of the stick is not a usb one, but has many more pins. I have found that flashing is best performed if one unplugs the cable from the micro usb port and uses a standard pc to micro usb port, which requires either to slightly unplug the big circuit, or to saw the a part of the side of the case.

It is therefore not the best device for hackers, unless they enjoy opening cases, etc.

That said, its cooling may be better than that of sticks.
                          That big connector on the end is an HDMI connector xD

Well..
                          -the question is:
                          And thos the Pcb work?
                          The PCB wouldn't be a bad idea, if it was made properly. But as Neomode expressed himself, it is made so crappily that I wonder which will break sooner: the stick or the PCB around it.

But seriously. This whole thing could have been made from a proper header on the USB ends, and a sliding header for the side power connector (so during manufacturing, they simply push the stick into the HDMI plug, slide the power connector in, then put on the back headers). Plus those flex cables... You know when was the last time I saw those cables? When I disassembled a 15-20 years old VHS player (meaning, from the late eighties) about 5 years ago. They are not used anymore, for a good reason. All that wiring, etc., could be easily printed into the circuit, and would barely add half a dollar expense per PCB.

And yes, most sticks have WiFi issues. It is related to the fact that most sticks don't use an antennae at all, or if there's one, it is shorted out on contact, thus resulting in terrible signal. I myself fixed up various 3188 devices, soldered some new antennae on them, and guess what, they have better signal (especially the 6330!) than my laptop, with 1/10th the power usage.

Here, they tried to fix the antennae, as I did not try this box I cannot say how well, but looking at it, it is the only job they did well. So yes, it is 0/10, would not bang.

Comment

Good, more interesting will be what Stick they use !
                            When we know that it will be easy to make a Custom Rom.
                            Is someone willing to open the Box and put out the TV Stick ?
                            Then make Hi Res Photos from this TV Stick please.

Neomode

Comment

Working...
                            X