the PMID701C man up thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the PMID701C man up thread

so since we were unsuccessful getting through the lock screen issue i went ahead and tried out the onda 2.0.5 delux aka capacitive gingerbread firmware. so far so good. will give some impressions with it and then see if i can get it back to my stock with kkromkit and my recovery images

First thing looks like the Market is accessable directly in this ROM

I found out after changing the language to english (hit the menu button, go down to the A in a box, tap that, tap the top menu item and select english) you need to reboot for the Market installer to come up in English. There are quite a few things that still pop up in Chineese. So far I can get around them, but will get annoying.

Comment

Installed Root Explorer

OK so I installed Root Explorer and noticed it is also set to r/o out of the box. That shouldnt be to hard to change. While rebooting this time I decided to check. At this point it does not boot into debug with just plugging in the USB cable from power up. Yep the browser search still comes up in chineese, very annoying

Comment

U Da Man

Nice Cajones. Good luck and much sucess.
        Tip your Pitsaboi

Biglots 701c
        Updated Google Play Store
        Phone.old
        Netflix v1.52
        "windows using moron"

Comment

Originally posted by sabercatpuck View Post
          OK so I installed Root Explorer and noticed it is also set to r/o out of the box. That shouldnt be to hard to change. While rebooting this time I decided to check. At this point it does not boot into debug with just plugging in the USB cable from power up. Yep the browser search still comes up in chineese, very annoying
          Since this ROM you flashed is a complete ROM, if you would like me to mod it for RW on boot let me know.

Bob
          "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
          "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
          "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
          "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
          "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
          "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
          "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
          "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
          "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

we shall see.

i guess since it is the onda firmware installed you could at least mod it for the onda board. looks like he got the ICS ROM running on here judging by the post in the screen lock post. i am currently running at 1.2Ghz and seems stable on the gingerbread rom using setcpu. If i keep this one though i will definitely need to work on wiping out the leftover Chinese language that keeps popping up. well off to see what other trouble i can find on this firmware

update: went for 1.3ghz and it locked up

Comment

compared setcpu benchmarks

on the onda gingerbread i was getting approximately
              short 146 long 464 and native c 699 neon 287

on the polaroid stock rom i was getting
              short 175 long 561 and native c 812 neon 342

Comment

ICS running well

So far the ICS is going strong. I got rid of the chinese, and theeverything is working fine. This is my first andriod device so ill be playing with it to fgure it out. Its smooth in most situations, but laggy in a few. idk if its the tablet or software causing that. If you need me to do anything or can give some tips to a newbie, thatwould be great. Thanks

Comment

I haven't been around much because I believe my abilities have been surpassed by your progress at this point saber lol . Let me know if we need artwork for load screens/interface

Comment

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are officially no longer working without a net !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My test unit is now a clone of my original (from a couple days ago)

OK it may not be the ideal way to go about recovery, but untill we can find a way to boot straight into recovery it will just have to do.
                    I have confirmed that it is possible to use the Onda 2.0.5 Gingerbread firmware as a springboard to restoring your Polaroid ROM through KK ROM Kit. First you make sure to have your recovery files from Clockwork made up and copied onto your PC. You then use LiveSuite to flash the 2.0.5 Onda firmware onto the Polaroid, then reinstall the Clockwork recovery (might be our first firmware mod to see if we can install this directly in it). Then you can use that to recover your Polaroid files from earlier.
                    Now the only question is do you want to? There are some quirks to the Onda version I have where it has alot more Chinese popping up than just in the OS, but we can probably work that out easy enough. It also let me run SetCPU up to 1.2GHZ and it seemed to be stable from what I saw, with the exception of when I was trying to install KK ROM Kit, that kept failing until I uninstalled SetCPU. The Onda also comes with access to Google Market/Play built in. Apparently the Onda Ice Cream Sandwich ROM works as well (Thanks to Mahjikk), though I have not tried it personally.
                    I do know though that to use the KK ROM Kit recovery you need the 2.0.5 Gingerbread Firmware since ICS is not supported by KK ROM Kit.
                    I will be curious to see what kind of benchmark differences I can get between the different firmwares.
                    (anybody have a preference on which one is best?)

More excitement to come.

Oh and Artist, I was always planning on trying the Onda ROM's, just was hoping to get everything in place first, but wanted to get Mahjikk back up to speed before he started hurting people . Thanks for the support though. Now I just need to actually learn what I am doing. Not bad for a guy who only a few weeks ago was thinking it would be fun to learn android (still have a long way to go to catch up to Finless, Notpod, you (ArtistLogic), N4RPS, and Zarrillius.

Comment

YOU MANNED UP!

Time to get cooking? Let me know what you guys want me to do.

Bob
                      "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
                      "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
                      "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
                      "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
                      "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
                      "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
                      "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
                      "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
                      "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

ICS is running perfectly so far. I actually overclocked it to 1.104 Ghz and things are running smoothly. I used CPU Master and AnTuTu Benchmark (as they're both free), I've got a benchmark score of around 3000, I don't know how that compares to the original Polaroid rom, since I had to go straight to ICS, sabercat knows why The Chinese is totally gone, everything works smoothly, including notifications and especially the Google Play App store. My only problem is that Netflix won't stream video. I've looked around and it seems to be a common problem :/. Other than that, I can say that ICS is one yummy sandwich

Comment

So far this is what I have gotten using AnTuTu

Stock rom 2700 (wouldnt overclock)
                          PMID701C with Onda VX610W Gingerbread 1GHZ 3055
                          PMID701C with Onda VX610W Gingerbread 1.2GHZ 3417 (has the second highest rating in the Onda Mid's and highest with the 2.3.4 ROM)

As for the Netflix problem, looks like there is a problem with the flash. There is suposedly a fix available here though I wont load ICS on till the morning so I can get a good video of the procedure to upload to youtube.

One question Mahjikk, do you know if you used the V1 or V5 ICS rom?

Found links that worked here BTW, we want the Deluxe:
                          Onda Vx610w Tablet Android 4.0 7 inch Capacitive Touchscreen 800*480 HD All winner A10 1.5GHz 2160P and Mali 400 HD 2160P WIFI 3G HDMI 2160P 8GB (Onda Online Office Store only sell genuine Onda Vx610w Tablet)

Comment

Here is what I got for benchmarks with the ICS 4.0.3 V1 ROM, using AnTuTu CPU Master it went unstable over 1.2Ghz:

PMID701C w/ Onda ICS 4.0.3 1GHZ 2675
                            PMID701C w/ Onda ICS 4.0.3 1.2GHZ 2878

So the winner for speed at this point looks like the Gingerbread running at 1.2GHZ

Comment

I used V1 I think. Are there any differences between that and V5? And can you check and see if netflix works on yours. I got similar benchmark results. Apparently, from reading the links you posted above, we don't have full app store access. Can you verify that? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X