Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HOW CAN I USE SD CARD AS INTERNAL STORAGE ON MY K-R42?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flumpster View Post
    Here is the vold.fstab file that I use to swap the sdcard with the external sdcard on the k-r42.

The permissions for the file are rw r r (644)

As you can see in the screenshot below I now have a 60 gig sdcard and my external sdcard has become the old 4 gig one.

Thanks for this i will copy your vold like for like,the only thing is i don't get the bit you and others write here it is:The permissions for the file are rw r r (644)
    That option as far as i am aware of does not exist on the es file explorer program unless i am missing it,i do have read/write option allowed just i don't get the part where i am supposed to write or select the 644 number of the permission your stating?
    What is the world if you don't explore?

Comment

Originally posted by PHYSC View Post
      Thanks for this i will copy your vold like for like,the only thing is i don't get the bit you and others write here it is:The permissions for the file are rw r r (644)
      That option as far as i am aware of does not exist on the es file explorer program unless i am missing it,i do have read/write option allowed just i don't get the part where i am supposed to write or select the 644 number of the permission your stating?
      I use root explorer as I really don't like what they have done with the revamp of ES file explorer but...

Go into ES file explorer and select tools on the left hand side. Scroll down to "Root Explorer" and make sure it is ticked on.

Now go back to the vold.fstab file and hold your cursor down on it until it becomes selected. Now click the "more" button in the bottom right and select properties. You should now have a window appear and one of them will say permissions. Click the "change" button next to it and and tick the boxes like the screenshot underneath.

You will also need to restart the machine to make it take effect.

To Infinity and Beyond.... XBMC

Comment

Thankyou

I use root explorer as I really don't like what they have done with the revamp of ES file explorer but...

Go into ES file explorer and select tools on the left hand side. Scroll down to "Root Explorer" and make sure it is ticked on.

Now go back to the vold.fstab file and hold your cursor down on it until it becomes selected. Now click the "more" button in the bottom right and select properties. You should now have a window appear and one of them will say permissions. Click the "change" button next to it and and tick the boxes like the screenshot underneath.

You will also need to restart the machine to make it take effect.

I agree pardon my french but es is now sh@t compared to before,any way i have basicaly copied the vold in to system/etc and simply deleted the old one before hand,then i held the controller down on the new vold and set rw to all options yet it still won't work after rebooting it comes up with the sd and nand greyed out?
        Also to add when i go in connect to pc after they are greyed out the 2 usb drives ie.sd card and internal storage both are grey and inacessible?

Comment

I agree pardon my french but es is now sh@t compared to before,any way i have basicaly copied the vold in to system/etc and simply deleted the old one before hand,then i held the controller down on the new vold and set rw to all options yet it still won't work after rebooting it comes up with the sd and nand greyed out?
          Are you copying and pasting the text or downloading the vold.fstab complete?

You can right click on my link above and click "save link as" to get the file instead of trying to copy and paste into a text document.

Comment

file

Are you copying and pasting the text or downloading the vold.fstab complete?

You can right click on my link above and click "save link as" to get the file instead of trying to copy and paste into a text document.
            I am copying the text and pasting in notepad then when saving with.txt at the end i rename and delete the .txt bit leaving the vold.fstab as the title name,is this wrong then?Also i delete the vold.fstab original go up on es then back in and paste the vold.fstab i created then restart the box?

Ok mate i am now switched to root explorer but upon attemting to copy the vold.fstab i get this message "you cannot paste here because the file system is read only" i cannot find a way to allow read write in root explorer settings?
            Last edited by PHYSC; 10-14-2013, 23:23.

Comment

I am copying the text and pasting in notepad then when saving with.txt at the end i rename and delete the .txt bit leaving the vold.fstab as the title name,is this wrong then?Also i delete the vold.fstab original go up on es then baack in and paste the vold.fstab i created then restart the box?
              The file I linked you to should definitely work. I looked at your first post with your original vold.fstab in it and it is the same as mine was originally.

I would download the vold.fstab file as I said to by right clicking on the link above and clicking "save link as" then save the vold.fstab file to your computer.

Copy this to the k-r42 and place it in system/etc and set permissions like I showed in the screenshot above.

Now restart the k-r42.

That is all there is to it and if it still doesn't work then maybe you have an sdcard issue and might try another card.

Comment

The file I linked you to should definitely work. I looked at your first post with your original vold.fstab in it and it is the same as mine was originally.

I would download the vold.fstab file as I said to by right clicking on the link above and clicking "save link as" then save the vold.fstab file to your computer.

Copy this to the k-r42 and place it in system/etc and set permissions like I showed in the screenshot above.

Now restart the k-r42.

That is all there is to it and if it still doesn't work then maybe you have an sdcard issue and might try another card.

I think Windows notepad is the problem I don't think android is likes it I think if PHYSC downloads your file & copys that over to his device it should work
                Please consider making a Donation to freakTab

Comment

Solved it

Originally posted by blinkone View Post
                  I think Windows notepad is the problem I don't think android is likes it I think if PHYSC downloads your file & copys that over to his device it should work
                  Thanks mate that vold.fstab file was priceless it is now showing a nand size of 29.3gb,what i was doing was using notepad and deleting and then adding the vold.fstab file when i should have copied your file and then simply pasted with write permissions in es file explorer so it overwrote the file not delete and then recopy it.So thanks to all you guys who have helped me with this i am very greatfull and i still have a small amount of hair left now minus blank spots here and there,only joking lol, but seriously thankyou.If there is anything i might help with computer hardware and laptop issues etc then just drop me a message.

Comment

For if you get 'write' errors ( depents on Rom used )
                    Code:
                    To make the external_sd writable

You must edit "platform.xml", from "/etc/permissions" adding in "android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" this: <group gid="media_rw" />

Like this:

<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
                    <group gid="sdcard_rw" />
                    <group gid="media_rw" />
                    </permission>
                    a after thought..
                    It might usefull to use 'sd-booster 2.0.4' see xda forum why...

Cheers
                    Last edited by mitchell4you; 10-22-2013, 19:32. Reason: xda info added

Comment

So what filesystem are people using for >16GB sd cards, if fat32 isn't recommended?

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by bill-ns View Post
                        So what filesystem are people using for >16GB sd cards, if fat32 isn't recommended?

Bill
                        Wich filesystem do you recommend to format and use my Sandisk ULTRA 32GB MicroSD Class 10 HC1 Memory Card as Internal storage on my CX-919?

Comment

TYPE

Originally posted by ulises1954 View Post
                          Wich filesystem do you recommend to format and use my Sandisk ULTRA 32GB MicroSD Class 10 HC1 Memory Card as Internal storage on my CX-919?
                          I would assume as mine is fat32 to use that type of file system mate ok.If not working or damaged storage is displayed on the tv box then just use a usb card reader,use mini tool partition wizard to delete the existing partition and then create a ntfs partition and then stick the sd card in an android phone and format using the phone,this appears to fix cards that won't mount as well as display as damaged but it also makes damn sure it's the right file system required for android devices as you would be formating through an android devcice.

Comment

Minix x7

Hello, i have minix x7 on finless 1.8 rom. Can i use the same vold file from Flumpster or i shoul change something in it. So should i just copy paste or it has to be changed somehow. I have Sandisk ULTRA 32GB MicroSD Class 10 HC1 which i woul like to use as internal storage.
                            Thx

Comment

Originally posted by hajvaniboy View Post
                              Minix x7

Hello, i have minix x7 on finless 1.8 rom. Can i use the same vold file from Flumpster or i shoul change something in it. So should i just copy paste or it has to be changed somehow. I have Sandisk ULTRA 32GB MicroSD Class 10 HC1 which i woul like to use as internal storage.
                              Thx
                              no idea sorry I am no dev a simple end user of dev files.

Comment

Working...
                              X