Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do these things have such poor cooling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do these things have such poor cooling?

Years back i got into overclocking, P4 dual core days, ive since kinda got out of that.

Recently ive been interested in these Android boxes because of my addiction to Asphalt 8, ever since i started playing ive bought a few tablets, a shield a few firesticks then just recently got a T95Q box

When i cracked i open i was shocked how little cooling it has.

I bought a little box of heatinks off amazon a few months back to tinker with a tablet that has *cought* jellybean on it but dang it can run A8 which shocked me

Anyway i used a little artic silver on all the chips in the T95Q and my benchmakrs went from 55561 stock with the cover on the top, to 69720! no fans or nothing just the heatsinks sitting ontop all the chips.

I put 4 little ones on the ram or rom chips, one on i think the gpu? then a larger one on the processor i was kinda shocked at the difference.

When i pulled the single sink off the main processor it was only stuck on with what looked like caulking, it was white dry rubbery and it was so thick i dont think it even transfered much heat threw the glue at all.

These things can perform WAY better if they only used better cooling.

The shield has a badass cooling setup and look at its performance

Originally posted by BowerR64 View Post
    Years back i got into overclocking, P4 dual core days, ive since kinda got out of that.

Recently ive been interested in these Android boxes because of my addiction to Asphalt 8, ever since i started playing ive bought a few tablets, a shield a few firesticks then just recently got a T95Q box

When i cracked i open i was shocked how little cooling it has.

I bought a little box of heatinks off amazon a few months back to tinker with a tablet that has *cought* jellybean on it but dang it can run A8 which shocked me

Anyway i used a little artic silver on all the chips in the T95Q and my benchmakrs went from 55561 stock with the cover on the top, to 69720! no fans or nothing just the heatsinks sitting ontop all the chips.

I put 4 little ones on the ram or rom chips, one on i think the gpu? then a larger one on the processor i was kinda shocked at the difference.

When i pulled the single sink off the main processor it was only stuck on with what looked like caulking, it was white dry rubbery and it was so thick i dont think it even transfered much heat threw the glue at all.

These things can perform WAY better if they only used better cooling.

The shield has a badass cooling setup and look at its performance
    Hi ,

Shield has the Money to do it right , this Box Makers only want to earn Money , cooling this Boxes is always better , what Heatsinks did you take , any Pictures of T95Q inside ???

good luck / gefattern

Comment

I bought some kind of little heatsink box off amazon came in a case with a bunch of little heatsinks random sizes

These sinks came out of this little box, i just picked a few that looks like they would fit and still put the cover back on but i havnt yet. I thought ide get a little USB fan also
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

As Ugly as it may look,

Put some vents (holes) in the Unit so the heat build up can get out..
        Small confined space with lack of vents things get toasty,

Holes in the base to let the cool are in
        Holes in the side or top to let the heat out
        Also Large rubber feet on the base can help let more air in

Basic Thermal Dynamics heat rises causing cool air to be pulled in,
        If the heat can't get out the cool cant get in.

After that Bigger Heat Sink on main CPU, ram and other bits don't get to warm if there is circulation

treboR
        Please consider
        Donating to Freaktab

Comment

I have a 40mm fan on the way i was going to mount it to the top and put holes on the side.

Would it be better to blow the air in from the top or blow it out and pull the air in from the sides?

Comment

Blow or Suck both have there good points see what works best for you and how you mount the fan
            Cant recall if the unit you has any Vent holes in the Base.

Mount fan on some screws to act as legs and sit underneath unit blow Air thru the base
            A few holes around the edge of case to let heat out.
            Ideas can found on Freaktab.

treboR
            Please consider
            Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Well i was going to put holes on the sides, so if mount the fan to blow in the air will go out the sides, or if i flip it over so the air pulls in from the sides and blows up

I may just try both ans see what gives the best benchmarks never hurts to try both

All of the sinks get pretty hot even with the sinks on em

Comment

Through the under side I think may look better than sitting on top, just raise the fan up a bit so the air can flow
                Double sided tape or blutack to secure fan to case or it may wander around the bench.
                A few holes around the base of casing and sides like you mention,
                Piece of Cake
                treboR
                Please consider
                Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Well i ordered a better remote so this will be behind the tv, im more concerned with performance then looks.

The board looks like its blocking circulation from those vents anyway.

Im hoping to get it to 70K benchmark with better cooling

Comment

I think its one of these

If its going behind the TV out of site.....Thru the Top should do fine,
                    Less destroying of the box etc if you go thru the underside was all I was thinking

Even remove the LED tube should leave a good gap for air to circulate.
                    treboR
                    Please consider
                    Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Hey thats a good idea with the LED ring, i might have to check that one out

I like the setup of this one with the fan at the top
                      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Hi ,

i always modded my Boxes the stock Way , from above , first Box only holes , the others full circle as same size of Fan , placed dust protection under the hole , mounted Fan , best to use a 12V Fan on 5V USB Port , not so noisy ,

good luck / gefattern

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post
                          I think its one of these

If its going behind the TV out of site.....Thru the Top should do fine,
                          Less destroying of the box etc if you go thru the underside was all I was thinking

Even remove the LED tube should leave a good gap for air to circulate.
                          Yeah it is a T95Q hockey puck looking thing.

Mine seems to be different then the others ive searched, #1 it has 4 little chips im not sure if they are rom or ram but its still 32 gig storage and 4 gig ram, then it has Android 9 pie on it the others online ive seen have a single rom or ram chip and android 8

Well i got in the little 40mm USB fan, its smaller then i thought. I then ordered a 120mm 5V fan for a router that has little feet to space it up off the surface. I think ill try the 120mm first and see how it does then the 40mm i thought i might put a hole in the top lid right above the processor sink

Comment

Have you a link to the heatsinks on Amazon? Thanks

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by daggz68 View Post
                              Have you a link to the heatsinks on Amazon? Thanks

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
                              Look for Heatsinks and Raspberry Pi heatsink kits for search words through Amazon. My personal preference is to use Copper type heatsinks which are more expensive than the standard Aluminum type.

Comment

Working...
                              X