Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Do I Easily Move Apps to External Micro SD card on the PMID701C?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to swap internal and external SD cards

I found this over on the XDA site. It is a method for making Android think that the external and internal SD cards are reversed. So if you have a 16 MB external card, it becomes the internal memory for Android and our paltry, built in, internal memory shows up as the external SD card. It requires editing two lines of code. Instructions are at this posting

Today I got a 32 GB, SanDisk Micro SDCard, mainly for the use with Google Music (I have a 7,200+ library). However, I didn't find a source which had a solid solution, to at least have Google Music use the external sd card. So, I just messed...

Comment

Yep...that's pretty much the way it's described here.

Originally posted by db8max View Post
      I found this over on the XDA site. It is a method for making Android think that the external and internal SD cards are reversed. So if you have a 16 MB external card, it becomes the internal memory for Android and our paltry, built in, internal memory shows up as the external SD card. It requires editing two lines of code. Instructions are at this posting

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1642006
      Thanks for sharing db8max, but what you've described is basically the same exact process we discuss here in the thread. It's outlined step by step in post #30 of this thread.

Comment

OOPS

Originally posted by SingleDad View Post
        Thanks for sharing db8max, but what you've described is basically the same exact process we discuss here in the thread. It's outlined step by step in post #30 of this thread.
        Sorry, I read the early parts of this thread yesterday and then saw the XDA thread this evening. I had forgotten the details of the earlier part of this discussion when I posted the link to the XDA thread. Oh well, it doesn't hurt to hear it from different sources!

Comment

Originally posted by db8max View Post

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1642006
          Actually the instructions were posted earlier in this thread by SingleDad. Thanks SingleDad.

The built in 2GB SDCARD and 16GB (your example) EXTSD are both external storage. SDCARD just happens to be the default storage location.

Apps are stored in the (even more paltry) 1GB Internal Data area which is not affected by the swapping of SDCARD and EXTSD.

Even if you move what apps you can to SD (SDCARD), you will probably run out of Internal Data space before you fill the 2GB SDCARD. Once Internal Data is filled you are done adding apps (it doesn't matter if SDCARD has 2GB, 16GB or 32GB free).

If you don't do this for the size of the default storage, then why would someone do this at all? Because this makes the default storage location removable!

App Backup & Restore, MyBackup Root & Titamium Backup all default to /mnt/sdcard. So when you do a backup, it would then automatically go to your removable card. When you are done with your backup you can remove the card and copy it to your PC, drop box or some other safe place.

I just reflashed my tablet and swapping SDCARD with EXTSD was one of the first things I did once it booted. Then I installed Link2SD so I can use the 1GB ext2 partition on my removable 16GB SD card to truly move apps to SD if I care to.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by kc9hi View Post
            Then I installed Link2SD so I can use the 1GB ext2 partition on my removable 16GB SD card to truly move apps to SD if I care to.

Jim
            Oops... Link2SD doesn't work with SDCARD and EXTSD swapped

Comment

Originally posted by kc9hi View Post
              Oops... Link2SD doesn't work with SDCARD and EXTSD swapped
              Dang, I was afraid of that. I was just going to partition my Micro SD card tonight and see if I could set link2SD up to move apps and the data files to the external SD.

I guess I won't bother now

Comment

link2sd. update

The problem I had with access to the primary partition after installing the app was that I needed to reformat.
                However, when I put the sd in the computer I to do so I lost the 2nd partition. Minitool now sees only an 11gb partition on a 16gb card! Partition recovery didn't find it and now link2sd doesn't either. Doh!

On the slightly brighter side I've got it back the way it used to be. Deleted link2sd.

Prob all user error. Good luck!

Comment

Look up info on a built in application in windows called DiskPart. It is a command line tool and you can fix partition tables with it. I've fixed a number of flash drives that I thought were dead with that.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
                  Polaroid PMID701i 13
                  Stock Rom from S.T.'s site
                  Fully rooted
                  Google's Market installed

Comment

Originally posted by lukenova View Post
                    Look up info on a built in application in windows called DiskPart. It is a command line tool and you can fix partition tables with it. I've fixed a number of flash drives that I thought were dead with that.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
                    Hello!

This is a VERY POWERFUL utility, as one of the 'DiskParts' that might get 'fixed' could be your C: drive Windows or recovery partition.

If you are in ANY WAY UNSURE about EXACTLY what you're doing with this utility, you don't have your data backed up either in the cloud or with Redo Backup or another utility, and/or if the data on your HD exceeds the cost of replacing an SD card, DON"T PLAY WITH FIRE.

You have been warned...

73 DE N4RPS
                    Rob

Comment

excellent advice from bob/ more slack for us!

Hehehe, reminds me of dos fdisk on a 25mb hd.

Getting off topic, I should prob search for forums on each app I have questions about. User manuals are not extant.

Seems strange that link2sd could hide a partition so well that minitool, which created it, cannot find.

I'm cool with the reduced partition for now. Maybe I'll bork some more stuff up later.

I'll wait for a sdcard unmount, repartition internal mem to full 4gb, mount extsd as sdcard solution.

To grok or not to grok, that's the congestion.

Comment

Thanks Single Dad

Hi Guys,
                        I am completely new to this site and forum, I only found it because I just got a new Onda Vi10 Delux with the new android 4 operating system.
                        My 16gb SD card was completely invisible because of the stupid internal Sd partition, and I don't think I would have found a solution ever if it had not been for the solution posted by you Single Dad.
                        So thanks a million from an unknown newbee who's bacon you saved.

Totally cool dude you are

Comment

Originally posted by Bjazz View Post
                          Hi Guys,
                          I am completely new to this site and forum, I only found it because I just got a new Onda Vi10 Delux with the new android 4 operating system.
                          My 16gb SD card was completely invisible because of the stupid internal Sd partition, and I don't think I would have found a solution ever if it had not been for the solution posted by you Single Dad.
                          So thanks a million from an unknown newbee who's bacon you saved.

Totally cool dude you are
                          LOL well thank you very much. Glad to hear this thread has helped. I didn't really do much except take the time to compile the info in one area...but I'm so glad it helped you out.

Comment

Still Confused

I used single dad's solution to this vexing problem but I am still not getting "easy" results. So from what I gather, this came with 4 gigs of internal storage. The internal was partitioned into 2 2gig partitions and one is "tablet" or "internal storage" and the other was labeled as "SDcard" or extSD". The true external SD card was labeled? Anyway, I've tried moving apps to the external SD (now internal?) using Titanium Backup Pro and the App manager, and every way I try it the apps are still on the internal memory and not on the true external SD card. I'm giving up for now.

Comment

Link2SD shows file locations that OS does not.

Pics show Link2sd as on my phone with Froyo 2.2.2 -- rooted and stock rom on Samsung T589 [Gravity Smart / Galaxy Q in Canada].
                              1. Apps are reported as both internal as expected by OS [ in /data/app],
                              and as stored by L2sd [onto a separate 599mb partition on sd card, ie, /data/sdext2].
                              2. L2sd reports true usage of the various partitions. You can see that 61.72 mb of downloaded apps are on sdext2 [instead of on /data/app].

No other changes in OS were needed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	scn_120706_2044.png
Views:	1
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	429014Click image for larger version

Name:	scn_120706_2021.png
Views:	1
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	429015
                              Rob / jrm
                              N7P rooted w/ Finless #1011V1.5 (was V1.4)

Comment

what happens to the second internal partition and the apps it contains?

Thanks very much for this fix because I've been dying to learn how to do this and am ready to try it for myself. I do however have a couple of question:
                                1: what happens to the second "partition" in the internal memory once I've modified the vold.fstab file and rebooted? Is the internal memory now just one large parititon?
                                2. If there are still two partitions, and from reading this thread it sounds as though there will be, is the second one still accessible and if so, how?
                                3. If I already have apps on this second internal memory partition before I modify the vold.fstab file, once I reboot can I then simply use Titanium Pro to batch move them to my external sdcard the way you'd normally do without this pesky second partition? Or do I need to squeeze those apps back onto the first partition, do the mod, reboot and then move them to the external sd card? I see that at least one person has reported a problem with uisng Titanium to do this

Thanks - Gil Theissen

Comment

Working...
                                X