No announcement yet.

Out of the Polaroid Game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only thing I don't like about the Kindle Fire is its lack of external memory. If I remember right, it only has 8gb worth of internal memory and no expansion slot. Not all that much if you want to store video or anything on it. I know the concept of the fire is that you're always using Amazon's cloud services...but that falls flat when you are places that don't have internet access and still want to playback video and things, such as on a long car ride. That is where I think the microSD card slot of the polaroid shines.
    Polaroid PMID701i 13
    Stock Rom from S.T.'s site
    Fully rooted
    Google's Market installed

Comment

I bought a Nook Tablet in the still-ongoing **** deal ($150 for 8GB tablet). So I'll be trying that out and comparing to the Polaroid to decide which to keep.

One big factor in favor of the Nook Tablet / Kindle Fire that hasn't been mentioned is battery life. I'm getting 3.5 hours or so with my 701i. Nook Tablet or Kindle Fire might get double that.

Here's how Nook Tablet and Polaroid stack up on paper:

In favor of Nook Tablet:
      * Battery life
      * Screen
      * Dual-core processor

In favor of Polaroid
      * Video out
      * Much lower price

Also, Nook Tablet runs Gingerbread with CyanogenMod 7. There isn't yet a reliable ICS build for Nook Tablet. Seems like people who have the 701c are happy with Gingerbread. I've never used it.

Memory is the same (512 MB). Nook Tablet has 8GB storage built in while Polaroid has 4GB, but that doesn't really matter since both are expandable with external card slot.

Should be a fun comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by discman017 View Post
        I bought a Nook Tablet in the still-ongoing **** deal ($150 for 8GB tablet). So I'll be trying that out and comparing to the Polaroid to decide which to keep.

One big factor in favor of the Nook Tablet / Kindle Fire that hasn't been mentioned is battery life. I'm getting 3.5 hours or so with my 701i. Nook Tablet or Kindle Fire might get double that.
        Have you done a fix to remove the phone apks from your Polaroid? I get much better battery life on my 701i.

Comment

Originally posted by tone007 View Post
          While additional RAM on a PC can speed things up due to preventing your system from having to swap to the hard disk, the same isn't really true on phones and tablets. The dual core processor will blow away the CPU in the Polaroid, regardless of RAM. The only thing more RAM will let you do on a tablet/phone is allow you to run more applications simultaneously.
          Only partially true. The CPU will indeed blow away the single core, IF, the memory is dual 256MB in parallel and NOT a single 512MB unit. Dual core CPUs get their advantage from using the memory in parallel. If not, most of the advantages disappear.

Try this on your multi-core PC. Turn of the parallel memory, and run in single mode. The performance hit is absolutely dreadful!

Does anybody know if the Nook is dual parallel memory(dual 256MB), or a single bus of 512MB like the Polaroid?
          Jim
          ---
          Ainol Novo 7 Elf II Dual Core
          Milestone (Droid) - Chevy SS GB ROM
          Milestone X - Rooted Stock GB ROM

Comment

Working...
          X