Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ShaunMT's Modified ROM for Nextbook NX785QC8G (Support Thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have thoroughly confused myself.

I think I have every file downloaded on my computer.
    I already put the modified ROM on.

So what would be the best route to proceed. I am understanding I need to download TWRP from either of 2 files

Then what is the removal file for?

Then flash the parameter file from one of the TWRP files I downloaded?

Is your TWRP a separate program that will be used much like an app?

Excuse my brainless questions. Messed up my PC last night - fixed about 3 this morning, and have been working on this tablet. Probably shouldn''t take me so long, but I don't want to mess it up.

Thanks
    Karen

Comment

Originally posted by Karenbrooke View Post
      I have thoroughly confused myself.

I think I have every file downloaded on my computer.
      I already put the modified ROM on.

So what would be the best route to proceed. I am understanding I need to download TWRP from either of 2 files

Then what is the removal file for?

Then flash the parameter file from one of the TWRP files I downloaded?

Is your TWRP a separate program that will be used much like an app?

Excuse my brainless questions. Messed up my PC last night - fixed about 3 this morning, and have been working on this tablet. Probably shouldn''t take me so long, but I don't want to mess it up.

Thanks
      Karen
      TWRP is a recovery mode (like a PC bios) that offers many more features than the stock recovery mode...

Yes, you are correct that you need to install TWRP, then install your choice of parameter files (if desired).

ShaunMT
      Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

after running it says no os installed - should I reboot anyway?

Comment

after running it says no os installed - should I reboot anyway?
          It should have backed up your current /system partition and then restored it after changing the partition layout... was there any indication that the backup or restore failed?

Worst case scenario, you may have to reinstall the ROM using the TWRP installer version... You might have to wipe some partitions also...

ShaunMT
          Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

To clarify - installed TWRP then through TWRP ran the parameter file. Then I was going to reboot and it says no OS installed

Comment

The sd card does now have system-restore zip also

Comment

To clarify - installed TWRP then through TWRP ran the parameter file. Then I was going to reboot and it says no OS installed
                Sounds like the system backup and restore may have failed...

If it won't boot into Android, just boot back into TWRP, do a factory reset (wipes data and cache) then reinstall the ROM using the TWRP install version. (The parameter size change won't need to be flashed again.)

ShaunMT
                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

OK Ill see what I can do. Thanks for helping. Ill get this figured out. A little knowledge can be dangerous lol

Comment

Well I think I fried it. It is stuck on the freaktab screen - won't reboot - and won't go further.

Comment

after much pushing of buttons got back to twrp - says unable to mount system - failed

Comment

after much pushing of buttons got back to twrp - says unable to mount system - failed
                        Yeah, I was kind of afraid of that... I'm not sure why it the parameter patch doesn't work for everyone, unless the backup fails due to lack of space on the sdcard...

Anyhow, flashing the ROM again from TWRP using the .zip version will fix the system partition.

You might also need to wipe the data partition and/or internal sdcard partition to make sure they are formatted to the correct size.

That should get you back up and running.

ShaunMT
                        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

ok any Ideas on how to get the rom on the sd card. I followed the instructions and removed it after installing

Comment

ok any Ideas on how to get the rom on the sd card. I followed the instructions and removed it after installing
                            Hmm... Does that mean you don't have a PC available to download it and copy it to the sd card?
                            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

well now the pc is not recognizing the tablet

Comment

well now the pc is not recognizing the tablet
                                Ok... so I'm guessing you don't have an SD card reader for the PC and you've been plugging the tablet in via USB and either mounting it as a USB drive or possibly using ADB to move files to it from the PC?

If you boot into TWRP, you can turn on MTP storage mode under the Mount menu... that should allow you to use the tablet as a USB storage device with the PC.

I think my version of TWRP also enables ADB access if you need that.

ShaunMT
                                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Working...
                                X