Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amlogic Next7HD8G (NX007HD8G) Modified Recovery - Stock Rom & Flashable Root

These files are for the Amlogic Nextbook Next7HD8G (NX007HD8G).

Here is what you get:

Modified Stock 3e Recovery:

This is the stock recovery, dumped from the device, unpacked, modified to use Google Test Keys instead of Private Nextbook Keys and then repackaged for your enjoyment.

Unzip and place the uImage_recovery file on your external SD Card. Reboot to recovery by holding Volume and Power. You won't notice any visual changes, but you can attempt to flash any .zip signed with Google Test Keys.

Your mileage may vary. If something won't flash there is a compatibility problem between the updater-binary or updater-script and our kernel/recovery.

Stock Rom:

This is a close as I could get to a flashable stock rom. It is NOT necessary to flash this to get root. If you only want root, just flash the root package below.

This contains a stock bootloader.img, boot.img, uImage_recovery, logo.img, and aml_logo.img dumped from the device. The system partition was also dumped from the device. I believe all of the Nextbook bloatware is here, with nothing added and NO ROOT. Everything has been packaged into an update.zip and signed with Google Test Keys. This WILL reformat System, Data and Cache. Backup any critical data before flashing.

Place the update.zip on external SD Card and flash using the modified recovery above.

Root Package:

This is a flashable .zip that installs the su binary and has been signed with Google Test Keys.

Put it on your external SD Card and flash it using the modified recovery above. Then install your preference of Superuser.apk or SuperSu.apk from the Google Play store or elsewhere.

ROM Version History:

11-11-13 (Current)
    • First Release (Stock ROM using dump of 08-12-13 system build date)

Download Thread:
    http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?6674-Amlogic-Next7HD8G-%28Next7HD8G%29-Modified-Recovery-Stock-Rom-amp-Flashable-Root

Thanks again to Finless Bob for hosting these files, and thanks to the Freaktab community for inspiring me to work on the Amlogic Nextbook series!

ShaunMT
    Last edited by shaunmt; 05-05-2014, 05:54. Reason: Typo
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Hi, shaunmt. I have this tablet (just got it yesterday. Have you had any feedback yet that hasn't been posted to this thread about the files you provided and the rooting process on this tablet? I'm hesitant to be the first one to try it. Is there a way to test this out prior to actually going through with it? Thank you.

Brittany

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
    These files are untested!!! I don't own this tablet. Someone will need to test them and report their results in the feedback thread!

These files are for the Amlogic Nextbook Next7HD8G (NX007HD8G).

Here is what you get:

Modified Stock 3e Recovery:

This is the stock recovery, dumped from the device, unpacked, modified to use Google Test Keys instead of Private Nextbook Keys and then repackaged for your enjoyment.

Unzip and place the uImage_recovery file on your external SD Card. Reboot to recovery by holding Volume and Power. You won't notice any visual changes, but you can attempt to flash any .zip signed with Google Test Keys.

Your mileage may vary. If something won't flash there is a compatibility problem between the updater-binary or updater-script and our kernel/recovery.Stock Rom:

This is a close as I could get to a flashable stock rom. It is NOT necessary to flash this to get root. If you only want root, just flash the root package below.

This contains a stock bootloader.img, boot.img, uImage_recovery, logo.img, and aml_logo.img dumped from the device. The system partition was also dumped from the device. I believe all of the Nextbook bloatware is here, with nothing added and NO ROOT. Everything has been packaged into an update.zip and signed with Google Test Keys. This WILL reformat System, Data and Cache. Backup any critical data before flashing.

Place the update.zip on external SD Card and flash using the modified recovery above.

Root Package:

This is a flashable .zip that installs the su binary and has been signed with Google Test Keys.

Put it on your external SD Card and flash it using the modified recovery above. Then install your preference of Superuser.apk or SuperSu.apk from the Google Play store or elsewhere.

ROM Version History:

11-11-13 (Current)
    • First Release (Stock ROM using dump of 08-12-13 system build date)

Download Thread:
    http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?6674-Amlogic-Next7HD8G-%28Next7HD8G%29-Modified-Recovery-Stock-Rom-amp-Flashable-Root

Thanks again to Finless Bob for hosting these files, and thanks to the Freaktab community for inspiring me to work on the Amlogic Nextbook series!

ShaunMT

Comment

Originally posted by bridun111 View Post
      Hi, shaunmt. I have this tablet (just got it yesterday. Have you had any feedback yet that hasn't been posted to this thread about the files you provided and the rooting process on this tablet? I'm hesitant to be the first one to try it. Is there a way to test this out prior to actually going through with it? Thank you.

Brittany
      No, I have not yet heard from anyone who tried installing these. The only people I've heard from with this model bricked their tablets trying to use other firmwares before I posted these files.

Please note, you don't need the ROM if your tablet is currently working correctly. It is a stock based ROM with no modifications.

The modified firmware boots from external SD card and does not modify your tablet in any way, unless you use it to install something.

The root package can be installed by itself. It only installs su to the correct system folder and sets the permissions on it. It should be pretty safe.

If you decide to try the files, please report your results for everyone.

ShaunMT
      Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

No, I have not yet heard from anyone who tried installing these. The only people I've heard from with this model bricked their tablets trying to use other firmwares before I posted these files.

Please note, you don't need the ROM if your tablet is currently working correctly. It is a stock based ROM with no modifications.

The modified firmware boots from external SD card and does not modify your tablet in any way, unless you use it to install something.

The root package can be installed by itself. It only installs su to the correct system folder and sets the permissions on it. It should be pretty safe.

If you decide to try the files, please report your results for everyone.

ShaunMT
        I will see how the root goes first. I'm hoping to find a nice custom ROM for this tablet but am afraid to try the ROMs available for the 8HD since this is the 7HD. Have you heard if those ROMs work with this tablet?

I will post back here with the results of the rooting process. Thanks.

Comment

I will see how the root goes first. I'm hoping to find a nice custom ROM for this tablet but am afraid to try the ROMs available for the 8HD since this is the 7HD. Have you heard if those ROMs work with this tablet?

I will post back here with the results of the rooting process. Thanks.
          The screen size has to be the same, so no, the 8HD ROM(s) will not work on the 7HD. There isn't currently much customization available on these models. Once you root it, you can add or remove system apps and run apps that require root. You can also add certain mods, like Xposed Framework. You can change the bootanimation using apps from the play store.

The partition sizes can't be changed without a custom bootloader and kernel, which is not likely to ever happen. There aren't currently any newer android versions or custom builds like Cyanogenmod or Paranoid Android.

Were there any other features you were hoping for?

ShaunMT
          Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

The screen size has to be the same, so no, the 8HD ROM(s) will not work on the 7HD. There isn't currently much customization available on these models. Once you root it, you can add or remove system apps and run apps that require root. You can also add certain mods, like Xposed Framework. You can change the bootanimation using apps from the play store.

The partition sizes can't be changed without a custom bootloader and kernel, which is not likely to ever happen. There aren't currently any newer android versions or custom builds like Cyanogenmod or Paranoid Android.

Were there any other features you were hoping for?

ShaunMT
            I would be happy to be able to remove system apps, and run apps that require root. I'm not familiar with the Xposed Framework but I will look into what it can do. And yes I would love to be able to change the boot animation.

I've only ever rooted one device before and it was a Motorola Backflip (MB300) like sometime in 2010 or early 2011 I think. I can't recall when I had it. I had a CyanogenMod ROM on it and while it did make that horrible phone faster it was just an awful phone. So I am not really up on what rooting can help with. I do want to root my LG Optimus L9 P769 but so far the rooting process is painful and extremely lengthy so I haven't done it yet.

I was hoping for custom ROMs for this tablet but maybe in time there will be one available.

I am about to start putting the files on my SD card but I will have to move the apps back onto the device and then back up what is already on the card. I think I read that the card has to be clean for this to work.

Comment

I would be happy to be able to remove system apps, and run apps that require root. I'm not familiar with the Xposed Framework but I will look into what it can do. And yes I would love to be able to change the boot animation.

I've only ever rooted one device before and it was a Motorola Backflip (MB300) like sometime in 2010 or early 2011 I think. I can't recall when I had it. I had a CyanogenMod ROM on it and while it did make that horrible phone faster it was just an awful phone. So I am not really up on what rooting can help with. I do want to root my LG Optimus L9 P769 but so far the rooting process is painful and extremely lengthy so I haven't done it yet.

I was hoping for custom ROMs for this tablet but maybe in time there will be one available.

I am about to start putting the files on my SD card but I will have to move the apps back onto the device and then back up what is already on the card. I think I read that the card has to be clean for this to work.
              It should not matter if other files are on your external SD card. You shouldn't have to reinstall anything either if you're only flashing the root package. Backing up is always a good thing though!

ShaunMT
              Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

It should not matter if other files are on your external SD card. You shouldn't have to reinstall anything either if you're only flashing the root package. Backing up is always a good thing though!

ShaunMT
                Hmm, the root flash aborted, twice. I tried the file that was named the same as the file on the SD card but had a ._ in front of it, after I tried the file without those characters in front. Both failed. I did boot the modified recovery (it did not have the android guy picture in the recovery screen) so I'm not sure what I did wrong.

Any ideas?

Comment

Hmm, the root flash aborted, twice. I tried the file that was named the same as the file on the SD card but had a ._ in front of it, after I tried the file without those characters in front. Both failed. I did boot the modified recovery (it did not have the android guy picture in the recovery screen) so I'm not sure what I did wrong.

Any ideas?
                  The recovery should be unzipped and named uImage_recovery on the external SD card. The kyser_root.zip should not be opened or unzipped. Just put in on the external SD card and choose it to install.

The modified recovery should look exactly like the stock internal recovery, only it should pass signature verification and actually start installing.

ShaunMT
                  Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

The recovery should be unzipped and named uImage_recovery on the external SD card. The kyser_root.zip should not be opened or unzipped. Just put in on the external SD card and choose it to install.

The modified recovery should look exactly like the stock internal recovery, only it should pass signature verification and actually start installing.

ShaunMT
                    That is exactly what I have on my card. Here is a small screenshot of what is on the card.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-12-05 at 2.25.33 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	431484

Comment

That is exactly what I have on my card. Here is a small screenshot of what is on the card.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]4293[/ATTACH]
                      Ok... There must be something wrong with the recovery. The root package is the same one used for all the other Nextbook models. I'll take another look at it when I can.

In the mean time, you might want take a look at Cydia Impactor. It works on most (maybe all) current Nextbook tablets. I think that it is how the person who dumped these files for me rooted their tablet.

ShaunMT
                      Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Ok... There must be something wrong with the recovery. The root package is the same one used for all the other Nextbook models. I'll take another look at it when I can.

In the mean time, you might want take a look at Cydia Impactor. It works on most (maybe all) current Nextbook tablets. I think that it is how the person who dumped these files for me rooted their tablet.

ShaunMT
                        Okay, thank you. I will look into Cydia Impactor.

Comment

just rooted my nx007hd8g

Hi new here just signed up, was reading some threads from shaunMT regarding using cydia impactor to root the nextbook tablet. Just wanted to say thank you as Cydia Impactor worked great on my NX007HD8G tablet. It was quick and pain less. I installed busybox and superSU, everything is working fine so far. I was about to load the recovery 3e on my external SD, just to see how that worked, but before I did I check the stock recovery or at least I thought I was. Reason I say that is because when it booted to recovery it showed it was the recovery 3e, so not sure how I got that, but I would guess I don't need to load the recovery file to my SD. Are the new NX007HD8G devices coming with it? I just bought mine from Newegg and S/N shows it was manufactured in August of 2013. Is it possible it came with the 3e recovery? Sorry for the long write up. Mainly I just wanted to say Cydia Impactor worked Great!.

Comment

Originally posted by hdeg2007 View Post
                            Hi new here just signed up, was reading some threads from shaunMT regarding using cydia impactor to root the nextbook tablet. Just wanted to say thank you as Cydia Impactor worked great on my NX007HD8G tablet. It was quick and pain less. I installed busybox and superSU, everything is working fine so far. I was about to load the recovery 3e on my external SD, just to see how that worked, but before I did I check the stock recovery or at least I thought I was. Reason I say that is because when it booted to recovery it showed it was the recovery 3e, so not sure how I got that, but I would guess I don't need to load the recovery file to my SD. Are the new NX007HD8G devices coming with it? I just bought mine from Newegg and S/N shows it was manufactured in August of 2013. Is it possible it came with the 3e recovery? Sorry for the long write up. Mainly I just wanted to say Cydia Impactor worked Great!.
                            The modified recovery is a copy of the stock android 3e recovery. The only difference is the signature verification.

ShaunMT
                            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

The modified recovery is a copy of the stock android 3e recovery. The only difference is the signature verification.

ShaunMT
                              Thank you for the reply. My device was manufactured inOctober of 2013 I had stated August, just to clarify. Is there no way to createa nandroid backup from the recovery? Like on a smartphone? Is there anything Ican do to help with this model? I am not a dev, but am willing to test or dumpor whatever maybe needed. I would love to see a custom rom and recovery forthis device. I know all you dev's work hard and not just on here, you have yourown lives, and I appreciate all your hard work. hdeg2007

Comment

Working...
                              X