Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The m8 box seems to have the edge compared to the Tronsmart device!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to CNX,

A few days ago, I wrote an Unboxing and Specs post about the M8, an Android TV Box powered by Amlogic S802 quad core Cortex A9 processor. The review took

Aside from the crap fw and the terrible Wifi.....

Will this device receive support from the freaktab devs?

It does seem to have more potential....

Cheers,

Watts

Is the M8 software interchangeable with the Tronsmart box?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

From the review:

CPU-Z gives bascially the same information for M8 as for Vega S89. The CPU is reported as a quad core Cortex A9 r4p1 clocked between 24 MHz to 1.99 GHz with an ARM Mali-450 GPU, and the board is also the same: k200. However, the firmware won’t be fully compatible as Vega S89 Elite (8 GB flash) uses AP6220 Wi-Fi module (2.4 GHz), and Vega S89 (16 GB) and M8 (8GB) uses AP6330 (2.4/5GHz).

Originally posted by Batfink32 View Post
      Is the M8 software interchangeable with the Tronsmart box?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
      So the only thing that differs is the WiFi module?

Comment

Originally posted by Watts View Post
        It does seem to have more potential....
        as well as the Tronsmart Vega S89 too...
        I think both stock rom (kernel) are (very) buggy at the moment (first try)...

At http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/04/...s802-unboxing/
        "Amlogic already released kernel 3.10 for the M8 (and M6/MX) and there’re sources for the amplayer and fw for the amplyer in the libplayer package in Buildroot tree publicly released by Amlogic, so if nothing special is missing there shouldn’t be an issue to build Linux image. Another [strange] fact is that Amlogic releasing on their OpenLinux site customer files with configs to build kernel for specific devices."
        Gives me some hope...

and have a look at

(already exist arm-src-kernel-2014-03-14-73442db911.tar.gz)...
        RK3288 Devices
        - Overview BOX (LINK !)
        - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
        UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
        Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
        Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
        Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Honestly, from what I've seen and helped with the M8 does not seem to have ANY edge compared to the Tronsmart Vega. As much as I dislike the physical design of the Vega I don't believe I'm going to be ordering any M8 devices. The m8 wifi is terrible (due to physical location and type of antenna used inside), the bluetooth is spotty between devices and I've had terrible luck trying to get anybody's XBMC to use the AMLogic decoder (which is pretty much the only reason to get this device if you use XBMC.)

The m8 has one upside over the Tronsmart and that is it's physical design. I love it, and love the full size SD card slot on the side. But I'm not willing to deal with nothing but trouble to have that box. The Tronsmart Vega s89 does everything that is listed in the specs of the device and quite honestly it does it very, very well. There are a few bugs but it's all software and between Finless, the other freaktab developers, and I we will be able to get most of these worked out. Also there is a general s802 device thread that this whole discussion would be better in. Maybe finless can move these posts to that thread.

Only after you've donated to Finless and Neomode are you allowed to donate here.

Comment

Originally posted by noderat View Post
            Honestly, from what I've seen and helped with the M8 does not seem to have ANY edge compared to the Tronsmart Vega. As much as I dislike the physical design of the Vega I don't believe I'm going to be ordering any M8 devices. The m8 wifi is terrible (due to physical location and type of antenna used inside), the bluetooth is spotty between devices and I've had terrible luck trying to get anybody's XBMC to use the AMLogic decoder (which is pretty much the only reason to get this device if you use XBMC.)

The m8 has one upside over the Tronsmart and that is it's physical design. I love it, and love the full size SD card slot on the side. But I'm not willing to deal with nothing but trouble to have that box. The Tronsmart Vega s89 does everything that is listed in the specs of the device and quite honestly it does it very, very well. There are a few bugs but it's all software and between Finless, the other freaktab developers, and I we will be able to get most of these worked out. Also there is a general s802 device thread that this whole discussion would be better in. Maybe finless can move these posts to that thread.
            Hi there,

The review (link i posted) seems to draw the conclusion that the M8 has the edge, it was not my own conclusion or something like that. I do not even own the device(s) yet, because i want to see how things pan out first, but i do think both are winners once the bugs are gone.

Cheers,

Watts.

Comment

I didn't get that impression as the review said that he was getting the tronsmart in a week and would then review that device. No worries though, the devices are almost identical to each other.

Sent from my Nexus7, apologies for any typos.

Only after you've donated to Finless and Neomode are you allowed to donate here.

Comment

Poor Wifi is a major disappointment. This is the cause of 90% of the complaints regarding box performance for the casual user. Will be a major hassle if the wireless is so bad that the majority of buyers will need to invest in a wired set up just to stream properly.

Comment

did any body try gotham 13 on the S89, and yesterday i tried, many add ons incompatible, what issues, how to solve, tks

Comment

again the photo
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	20140419073247.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	433541
                    any idea?
                    tks

Comment

Re: The m8 box seems to have the edge compared to the Tronsmart device!

Originally posted by hsia View Post
                      did any body try gotham 13 on the S89, and yesterday i tried, many add ons incompatible, what issues, how to solve, tks
                      Your addons are not compatible with Gotham. Contact the app developer. I will be updating the FAQ with this info tonight.

Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse any typos.

Comment

Your addons are not compatible with Gotham. Contact the app developer. I will be updating the FAQ with this info tonight.

They work you just have to first install a frodo version then install gotham over it and the addons work that way. Or just manually reinstall them i have gotham running on fire tv, minix x7 and x7 mini with all add ons

Comment

I would have to disagree here. I had alot of issues with the firmware that came with the M8 but most of my issues went away once I flashed to the new stock rom. I only have the Amlogic decoder enabled in xbmc 13 and the audio/video plays in sync in 5.1 dolby digital perfectly smooth. The wireless is not terrible at all.. I am watching 300 in 1080p 5.1 surround sound on wifi and my router is 3 floors down across the basement. It buffered for maybe 2 seconds in the middle of the movie and never did it again. Maybe the wifi was terrible with the stock rom? There will be another rom released at the end of the month when they officially go on sale. Compared to the old MX box, this box is a little bigger and uses a higher quality thicker plastic casing. The remote works well and is comfortable to hold.

btw, my M8 is not rooted and it plays fine so I dont think that is necessary.

Comment

Re: The m8 box seems to have the edge compared to the Tronsmart device!

Originally posted by rlaursen View Post
                            I would have to disagree here. I had alot of issues with the firmware that came with the M8 but most of my issues went away once I flashed to the new stock rom. I only have the Amlogic decoder enabled in xbmc 13 and the audio/video plays in sync in 5.1 dolby digital perfectly smooth. The wireless is not terrible at all.. I am watching 300 in 1080p 5.1 surround sound on wifi and my router is 3 floors down across the basement. It buffered for maybe 2 seconds in the middle of the movie and never did it again. Maybe the wifi was terrible with the stock rom? There will be another rom released at the end of the month when they officially go on sale. Compared to the old MX box, this box is a little bigger and uses a higher quality thicker plastic casing. The remote works well and is comfortable to hold.

btw, my M8 is not rooted and it plays fine so I dont think that is necessary.
                            Well the xbmc source actually has it in there to fix the permissions for some amlogic devices, perhaps your firmware has already set those permissions for you.

Aside from needing root for xbmc, my Vega works just as well as your device. Remember this is incredibly similar hardware just in different packaging with different ROMs (hey, sounds like rk3188 devices!)

Comment

Is the m8 the same company who makes gbox and mx2? They are a horrible company they release a few updates then leave people hanging. The company is not at all liked in the Xbmc forum. They didn't have the right to install Xbmc or something it read. Hope this box is a different company.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X