Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini M8S S905 Ubuntu Mate 64 bit (With X and Kodi and VLC) on SDCard

Hi.

I have rebuild Koxx MiniMX Ubuntu Mate for Mini M8S.

Android TV Box Mini M8S hardware info:
    1. Soundcard using Amlogic AML M8
    2. Wifi and Bluetooth using Realtek RTL8723BS

Because MiniMX Ubuntu from Koxx doesnt have wifi driver for Mini M8S and X Server have Black screen issue.
    So what i do is add Realtek 8723BS module driver and Modified gpu driver in kernel, to make alpha blending issue gone (black screen).
    The default color depth is 32mbpp, it will make Kodi only have Black Screen, But you can play movie with VLC Player.

Thanks to Koxx and balbes150 , and some other who help me

MiniMX Ubuntu Mate from Koxx is in here http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...d-x-on-sdcard/
    This Ubuntu Mate is Based Ubuntu Mate for Odroid C2, the 16.04 with name "ubuntu64-16.04lts-mate-odroid-c2-20160525.img.xz" but with Amlogic kernel 3.14.29 and Mali GPU driver r5p1

Here Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Images for Mini M8S:
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 64bit with Kernel 3.14.29+ - http://www.mediafire.com/file/g2jd3q...e-16.04.img.xz (3,4GB)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	602835
    You need 8GB SD card or bigger, in Gnu/Linux you can burn it with dd
    Code:
    dd if=MiniM8S-Ubuntu-Mate-16.04.img of=/dev/sdX bs=4m
    note: sdX is your sdcard, you can see it with lsblk

s905_autoscript file to change X color depth:
    - X Color Depth 24 bit - http://www.mediafire.com/file/iuobso...-24mbpp.tar.gz
    - X Color Depth 32 bit - http://www.mediafire.com/file/kagfyn...-32mbpp.tar.gz ( default in Ubuntu Mate images use this file )

How to use s905_autoscript:
    1. Download the file
    2. Extract the file, and you will get file s905_autoscript
    3. Copy file s905_autoscript to folder /media/boot/ and Overwrite the existing file.
    4. Reboot.

What is working or not :
    – boot : ok
    – shell : ok
    – ubuntu mate : ok
    – sound : ok
    – wifi : ok
    – bluetooth : not work, i dont know how to use it.
    – VLC with hardware acceleration : ok (using xcb)
    – ir remote : ok
    – kodi with hardware acceleration : yes ( change s905_autoscript to 24mbpp ) ( This a modified Kodi, more info http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?t=19433 )
    – cec : unknown
    – Firefox with 32bit (armhf) : ok

Known bugs :
    1. Playing Movie with Kodi in X Desktop, is not stable.
    Sometimes, Kodi Gui will "distorted" or "you cannot exit" because the Gui is "invisible".
    2. Playing Movie with VLC, you can Watch with Default Resolution window, if you resize or Fullscreen, its will make not watchable, just sound.

User name and Password:
    Login : odroid
    Password : odroid

How to use Kodi:
    Because Kodi only work with 24mbpp, and the default is using 32mbpp, you need to change it, here step by steps.

1. Download this file http://www.mediafire.com/file/iuobso...-24mbpp.tar.gz
    2. Extract the file, and you will get file s905_autoscript
    3. Copy file s905_autoscript to folder /media/boot/ and Overwrite the existing file.
    4. Reboot.

You can using Kodi with X, but sometimes you will only get flickering issue.
    To solve it, you can choose one of them:
    1. Run Kodi Standalone without X, so you have to Disable X. ( but you cannot use X )
    2. Run Kodi after "Clean the Desktop" with hiding Gkrellm, make the Panel in Above to Auto Hide. (see the screenshot bellow, compare it to screenshot about VLC above)

Blackscreen after exit Kodi:
    - You have to press Ctrl + Alt + F1 to go Console, then press Ctrl + F7 to get back in X.

If you want to "Clean the Desktop":
    --> What make Flickering in Kodi is the cpu load info in gkrellm and clock in taksbar.
    1. Hide Gkrellm, Right Click on Gkreelm Window, choose Configuration (F1) got to Properties, remove the mark in "Do not include on Taskbar"
    now, you can hide it with click Gkrellm taskbar in the Panel Below.
    2. Hide the Panel Above, Right Click on The Panel, Choose Properties, and give mark to "Auto Hide"
    3. Hide Any other window apps, like web browser, etc

If you want Kodi Standalone, you have to disable the X, here step by step:
    1. Stop Display Manager with command:
    Code:
    sudo systemctl disable lightdm
    2. Enable Kodi FB.
    Code:
    sudo systemctl enable kodifb
    3. Then Reboot.
    4. Then you will get Command Line/Console only Ubuntu.
    5. Login and then you can start the Kodi with command:
    Code:
    odroid@odroid64:~$ kodi

> If you want to get the Desktop Mode.
    run this command:
    Code:
    odroid@odroid64:~$ startx
    More info about this kodi problem/issue, you can read the first post in here http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=19403
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by sukanime; 08-24-2019, 06:34.
    Android TV Box - Mini M8S (Amlogic S905) - Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Arm64 - 3.14.29 with VLC (X11 Accelerated XCB), Kodi Odrobian Fbdev 16.1 (VPU Accelerated), X.org 7.7 plus Mali Fbdev 20160315-r5p1

Reversed when i play with Odroid C2 Ubuntu Mate new release....
    Last edited by sukanime; 10-17-2016, 14:00.
    Android TV Box - Mini M8S (Amlogic S905) - Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Arm64 - 3.14.29 with VLC (X11 Accelerated XCB), Kodi Odrobian Fbdev 16.1 (VPU Accelerated), X.org 7.7 plus Mali Fbdev 20160315-r5p1

Comment

IMHO It is better to add scripts (s905_autoscript) with the correct settings directly in the image. Renamed while running the Ubuntu, rebooted and got the desired color depth (32 or 24).

Comment

Originally posted by balbes150 View Post
        IMHO It is better to add scripts (s905_autoscript) with the correct settings directly in the image. Renamed while running the Ubuntu, rebooted and got the desired color depth (32 or 24).
        Thanks for sugestion,
        I'am still newbie, so i don't know about it.

next time when i play with Ubuntu Mate 16.04.1 and success to make it running in my Mini M8S, i will create new image and add the correct color depth.

Comment

Well done, good job.

Looked image. A number of proposals. I recommend to add in the first FAT partition files from this archive. There are scripts for multiple resolutions and color options. Added a directory with several common dtb files from different models (content Supplement). This is the case, if auto-negotiation dtb data didn't work (auto-detect is enabled in the latest versions of the scripts that are in the archive). It is desirable to reduce the image size to 7 GB, because a SD card or flash drive have a slightly smaller size than the existing archive (7.6 GB). To reduce the size of the image is not difficult. Is created by dd command the image (7Gb), it created two partitions, formatted, mount through the loop , and it just copied files and directories from the source system.

Посмотреть и скачать с Яндекс Диска

Comment

Originally posted by balbes150 View Post
            Well done, good job.

Looked image. A number of proposals. I recommend to add in the first FAT partition files from this archive. There are scripts for multiple resolutions and color options. Added a directory with several common dtb files from different models (content Supplement). This is the case, if auto-negotiation dtb data didn't work (auto-detect is enabled in the latest versions of the scripts that are in the archive). It is desirable to reduce the image size to 7 GB, because a SD card or flash drive have a slightly smaller size than the existing archive (7.6 GB). To reduce the size of the image is not difficult. Is created by dd command the image (7Gb), it created two partitions, formatted, mount through the loop , and it just copied files and directories from the source system.

Посмотреть и скачать с Яндекс Диска

Thanks balbes150,

I will try it in next release, i hope i have luck with the new odroid c2 images (Ubuntu Mate 16.04.1) so i can make the new images.

Comment

After playing with Odroid Ubuntu Mate v2.1 (ubuntu64-16.04lts-mate-odroid-c2-20161003.img.xz) , i cannot make Kodi to work.
              This is Odroid C2 Ubuntu Mate 16.04.1 based with Kernel 3.14.79-86

When i compile Kernel Source 3.14.79-86 - https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/...rnel-86.tar.gz , i cannot compile it when i enable AML M8 Soundcard.
              So i use Kernel Source 3.14.79-84 - https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/...rnel-84.tar.gz, i can compile it with AML M8 Soundcard and Realtek 8723BS driver.

The good thing with Ubuntu Mate 16.04.1 with Kernel 3.14.79-84 (ubuntu64-16.04lts-mate-odroid-c2-20161003.img.xz) is:
              - Glxgears + Mali-x11 runs around 200 fps, with Ubuntu 16.04 and Kernel 3.14.29 only around 100 fps
              - VLC is working with X11 Video Output (XCB) , but if you resize or go fullscreen, the picture will freeze and you only get the sound.

The bad things:
              - Firefox arm64 is not stable, even if you use Firefox armhf is buggy, i cannot install iMacros Addons, and i think another addons is the same if i lookong debug information.
              - Kodi-odrobian-fbdev is not working, i have install the dependecies but still not working.
              - c2play, i can compile it, and i can run the command, no error in the console, but nothing happening.

Notes:
              Android TV Box Mini M8S hardware info:
              1. Soundcard using Amlogic AML M8
              2. Wifi and Bluetooth using Realtek RTL8723BS

If anyone want the file to modified the Ubuntu Mate 16.04.1 from Odroid.
              I can Upload for you the Kernel 3.14.79 compiled with Sound card Driver and Realtek RTL8723BS.
              And give you tutorial to modif it.

Comment

sukanime congratulations!
                I may want to try the v2.1 on my mini mx-g hopefully it boots if I put correct dtb in place.
                I might be try to help with kernel module compilation issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Nofan Tasi View Post
                  sukanime congratulations!
                  I may want to try the v2.1 on my mini mx-g hopefully it boots if I put correct dtb in place.
                  I might be try to help with kernel module compilation issues.
                  Here the files you need for Odroid C2 v2.1 Image to run on Mini M2S - http://www.mediafire.com/file/8bhstr...3.14.79.tar.xz

Howto:
                  1. Download the Image v2.1 from Odroid website.
                  2. Burn the image to SD Card.
                  3. Take out and Insert again to Card Reader.
                  4. Open SDCard with Gparted, then Change Partition Label in SDCard:
                  - from boot to BOOT
                  - from rootfs to ROOTFS
                  *) You can Resize ROOTFS Partition, if you have SDCard more than 8GB.
                  5. Take out and Insert again to Card Reader.

6. Download the Files ( http://www.mediafire.com/file/8bhstr...3.14.79.tar.xz )
                  7. Extract it, you will get two Folder inside it, BOOT and ROOTFS
                  8. Copy all files in BOOT Folder to BOOT Partition, but Wipe all the Files in BOOT Partition first.
                  9. Copy all files in ROOTFS Folder to ROOTFS Partition, and Overwrite if prompted there is already a files in there.

I hope you unnderstand it.
                  Last edited by sukanime; 10-30-2016, 23:04.

Comment

Originally posted by sukanime View Post

Here the files you need for Odroid C2 v2.1 Image to run on Mini M2S - http://www.mediafire.com/file/8bhstr...3.14.79.tar.xz

Howto:
                    - from boot to BOOT
                    - from rootfs to ROOTFS

8. Copy all files in BOOT Folder to BOOT Partition, but Wipe all the Files in BOOT Partition first.
                    9. Copy all files in ROOTFS Folder to ROOTFS Partition, and Overwrite if prompted there is already a files in there.

Thanks a lot!

I decided I'll better buy a 2nd box, since I use my only one mostly to watch TV with LE from SD and to run Android. Meanwhile, I also have an Armbian Ubuntu SD to boot from and test. Also, when booted in LE, I have 2 chroots, one with a natively built, maintained gentoo, and one with an ordroid distribution, just for fun, those chroots don't do anything. So that's more than enough for 1 box ...
                    Once I have my 2nd box I will have more room to test more software. The goal would be to have accelerated Xorg, and, ideally I would like to boot gentoo with accelerated Xorg and dvb-t support to watch and stream live TV. But there is still a long way to go.

have a nice day

Comment

Originally posted by sukanime View Post

Howto:
                      - from boot to BOOT
                      - from rootfs to ROOTFS

I just installed your Ubuntu onto my Beelink Mini MX 3 and it is running, but really slow, maybe, because of the microSD card I am using. I wanted to test this S905 SoC and see how it performed as a Plex and Emby server. Compared to my Pine64 board, based on the Allwinner SoC, it is much slower. Will test again tomorrow using a different microSD card.
                      MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post

I just installed your Ubuntu onto my Beelink Mini MX 3 and it is running, but really slow, maybe, because of the microSD card I am using. I wanted to test this S905 SoC and see how it performed as a Plex and Emby server. Compared to my Pine64 board, based on the Allwinner SoC, it is much slower. Will test again tomorrow using a different microSD card.
                        Thanks for the feedback...

Hmmm.... for me, My Mini M8S is much faster than Raspberry 3.
                        Why you not using MiniMX Release from Koxx ? ( here the link http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...d-x-on-sdcard/ )

Comment

Hi,
                          did you manage to get kodi working with kernel 79 ?

Comment

Originally posted by Koxx View Post
                            Hi,
                            did you manage to get kodi working with kernel 79 ?
                            Sory for late reply.

No, i cannot make it work.
                            The Kodi-odrobian-fbdev and the default kodi from Odroid C2 is not working with kernel 79
                            I have plan to try compile Kodi source code from Libre ELEC (the arm64 version), but i don't have time and not interested anymore.

Comment

thanks for the answer

Comment

Working...
                              X