[ROM][OEM] Mecool M8S Plus W (Android TV) by VideoStrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ROM][OEM] Mecool M8S Plus W (Android TV) by VideoStrong

​In the spirit of the Pure Nexus Project, these TVStock Nexus ROMs deliver the pure Android TV experience using the Open GApps TVStock Package. The goal is to keep true to Google's vision and use the bare minimum of OEM or third-party apps or add-ons, which can be added.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20181130_105546.jpg Views:	1 Size:	85.8 KB ID:	753166

Note: This is the official Mecool M8S Pro W 2.4 (Android TV version). Do not attempt to install it if your device is the non-Android version of Mecool M8S Pro W, this will cause problems for your device. Try the procedure below only if your device is the M8S Plus W. Neither I nor the freaktabs forum are liable for any damage to your device. That said good luck, and let's go.

How to make it? Very simple, next a little tutorial:
    1. Download the M8S Pro W ATV OEM Firmware here.
    2. Using Es File Explore modify target Version Date (below).
    3. Put the firmware on the USB stick, connect to the box​​​​​​.
    4. Go to the UPDATE app, open and choose local update
    5. Choose firmware.zip from the root of the your pendrive.
    6. Check Wipe Data and Wipe Media, data will be cleaned.
    7. Press confirm and wait for the update to complete
    In step 2 you will need to make some changes to build.prop and default.prop, see below:

Go to system/build.prop, find the line "ro.buid.figerprint=Amlogic/p21x/p21x:7.1.2/NHG47L/20180523.122853.V0213:userdebug/". Change date '20180523' to '20180223' and save the change. Go to root/default.prop and repeat the same procedure above in /default.prop on last line:

On my device Wi-Fi did not start so I had to make another change in the build.prop

Note: You will need the Es File Explorer app, put a copy of the app on your pendrive before starting the process.
    1. Go to /data/misc/wifi/ now delete wpa_supplication.conf and NetworkHistory.txt.
    2. Shutdown your device and wait 20 minutes, turn on and connect on your wifi again.
    Save the modify and reboot you device. Congratulations!
    Especial thanks for: Guest Marcelo Filgueira and sappy
    Last edited by Novato; 11-30-2018, 18:16.

About the M8S Plus W Firmware

Hi, if your goal in this tutorial is to recover your M8S Pro W with the M8S Plus W firmware and then revert. Keep reading.

It is important to highlight some points about the M8S Plus W and its firmware that you may not know, for example:
    1. Keep in mind that when installing the M8S Plus W firmware on your M8S Pro W, some things will work differently.
    2. There is no reset button on the M8S Plus W, to access the Recovery Mode, restart the device and press the Menu button continuously.
    3. The default firmware is rubbish, you can not stay in it without making any changes. Have a MicroSD with a copy of Es File Explore.
    4. If the Chinese menu appears when you start the device, access Recovery Mode and make Wipe Data Factory and Wipe Cache.
    Well I think this, and try to keep focus of the doubts about the transition from M8S Plus W Firmware to the M8S Pro W Firmware.
    Last edited by Novato; 12-01-2018, 14:38.

Comment

Hello,
      First of all thanks for sharing - this was the only way I was able to recover my m8s pro w that was stuck in the logo.
      I've been playing around with it and I noticed some image drag in netflix.
      Any tweak that can be applied to fix that?

Comment

Originally posted by LuisBeOnline View Post
        Hello,
        First of all thanks for sharing - this was the only way I was able to recover my m8s pro w that was stuck in the logo.
        I've been playing around with it and I noticed some image drag in netflix.
        Any tweak that can be applied to fix that?
        Hello, I'm glad that was helpful to you. Regarding "ghosts" that appear on Netflix, I also realized. Not only in Netflix me other players, I thought it was for lack of RAM. My M8S Plus W has only 1GB of RAM.

Comment

Dear folks I flashed an android TV box M8S PLUS W since it did not boot anymore. Now Box is stuck after "Starting apps". Anyone can help with that screen? I entered barcode on back 1211....c but this does not solve the issue
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

After reboot I can see launcher for 2 seconds then this screen appears. Seems like device is supposed to be activated...?

Comment

Originally posted by Novato View Post

Hello, I'm glad that was helpful to you. Regarding "ghosts" that appear on Netflix, I also realized. Not only in Netflix me other players, I thought it was for lack of RAM. My M8S Plus W has only 1GB of RAM.
              I've the 2gb version and it is also happening.

anyway this was my life saver and the box performs mutch better then with the Mecool rom

Comment

Originally posted by soldiaz View Post
                After reboot I can see launcher for 2 seconds then this screen appears. Seems like device is supposed to be activated...?
                are you able to boot the box into recovery?

Comment

Originally posted by soldiaz View Post
                  Dear folks I flashed an android TV box M8S PLUS W since it did not boot anymore. Now Box is stuck after "Starting apps". Anyone can help with that screen? I entered barcode on back 1211....c but this does not solve the issue
                  Hi, just press the button home on remote control to go to the main screen. After that go to apps.

Comment

I've the 2gb version and it is also happening.

anyway this was my life saver and the box performs mutch better then with the Mecool rom
                    Exactly, I installed an older version of Netflix (v3.2.2) and an older version of YouTube (v1.3.11). As my device is very limited, relying on only 1GB RAM, a bit heavy for it. But I love Android TV OS and even a little heavier pays off for me. Before I was to OEM ROM with the Launcher Alice UX of the Tanix T3X Max, it was more fluid in the Launcher. But I prefer it as it is now.

Comment

are you able to boot the box into recovery?
                      Yes, mine does not have the reset button, so to access the recovery mode I must turn on the device and repeatedly press the menu button until I start in recovery mode. However, there is no TWRP, just the standard recovery.

Comment

Hi, Do not attempt to install it if your device is the non-Android version of Mecool M8S Pro W, this will cause problems for your device , I have the Mecool M8S Pro W with none ATV , If you cant flash on none ATV box then what is the point of this for Mecool M8S Pro W that comes with ATV ?

Ok i miss understood my box is Mecool M8S Pro W and this ROM is for M8S Plus W , I hope can get this ROM for M8S Pro W

Thanks

Comment

Hi, thanks for commenting. The purpose of this tutorial is to turn an M8S Plus W into an M8S Pro W ATV. But if your device is a M8S Pro W 2.4G (ATV) and you are bricked after installing the ATV firmware for the M8S Pro W by Magendanz you can test this firmware.If you have a M8S Pro W 2.4G (ATV), in bootloop you can also use this tutorial to recover your device.

Comment

I still do not know how hardbrick works but you will find more information on the Andoid TV firmware post for the M8S Pro W by Magendanz. Probably the M8S Pro W bootloader (1st generation) is different from the M8S Pro W 2.4G (2nd generation) bootloader. Something similar to what happens if you install the M8S Pro L firmware on the M8S Pro, even though both have the same S912 SoC.

Comment

Hi, I got my M8S Pro W booting up again by flashing M8S_PLUS_W 20180622.img, just need to follow the rest now

Also on Gearbest i bought this https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_8...ml?wid=1433363

This didnt come with ATV ROM just stock Mecool Rom , I Guess if buy with voice remote then it will come with ATV ? i got confused thought this page had the M8S Pro W ATV ROM which seems should be new ATV

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X