No announcement yet.

Mini M8S II 4K Smart TV Box Amlogic S905X 2/8GB WiFi 10/100 LAN BT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't have to worry about significant other, just me and granddaughter, but that is worse. She watches what gets delivered, and wants some of those packages to be for her. Fortunately, she orders cheap stuff from AliExpress. I can only imagine what she will want if I purchase a new TV.
    MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Originally posted by RISCy Dude View Post

Risk taker are ya? Bit of an adrenaline junkie?

I buy Rockchip, so taking risks has now been ingrained into me lol
      R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post
        Don't have to worry about significant other, just me and granddaughter, but that is worse. She watches what gets delivered, and wants some of those packages to be for her. Fortunately, she orders cheap stuff from AliExpress. I can only imagine what she will want if I purchase a new TV.

Poor kid.

I feel sorry for her now being all neglected by Grandad :-)

Comment

Well I have bitten the bullet.

Only a couple of pounds dearer from a local UK based **** seller.

Just a week to wait for delivery.

Comment

I got this device as well.
            Mainly because of the Android 6.0 Marshmallow API23 firmware from Amlogic.
            It was important for me because the KODI developers say that below API23 there is a problem with DTS passthrough (the audio drops every 5-10 seconds for a short moment).
            So I got this new API23 device in the hope that the problem would be solved ... well ... I am sad to report that the DTS passthrough with this device still does not work without audio-drops.
            I tried
            Kodi 16.1
            Kodi 17.0 (Alpha)
            SPMC 16.4.0 (IEC passthrough and RAW passthrough both).

A post on the Kodi forums just resulted in "Well, API23 will not help you if the manufacturer of your device did not implement it correctly". So how the hell do I know if the manufacturer implemented something correctly or not!? ... is Amlogic really putting out such crappy firmwares with WRONG impementations of passthrough API!? ...

Anyway ... since the majority of my movies are DTS this is a major annoyance for me and I can not watch any movie with those audio-hiccups. :-(

I guess I will just have to wait until someone somewhere puts some love into developing an Amlogic core firmware which does things correctly ...

Comment

Originally posted by smallhorse View Post
              I got this device as well.
              Mainly because of the Android 6.0 Marshmallow API23 firmware from Amlogic.
              It was important for me because the KODI developers say that below API23 there is a problem with DTS passthrough (the audio drops every 5-10 seconds for a short moment).
              So I got this new API23 device in the hope that the problem would be solved ... well ... I am sad to report that the DTS passthrough with this device still does not work without audio-drops.
              I tried
              Kodi 16.1
              Kodi 17.0 (Alpha)
              SPMC 16.4.0 (IEC passthrough and RAW passthrough both).

A post on the Kodi forums just resulted in "Well, API23 will not help you if the manufacturer of your device did not implement it correctly". So how the hell do I know if the manufacturer implemented something correctly or not!? ... is Amlogic really putting out such crappy firmwares with WRONG impementations of passthrough API!? ...

Anyway ... since the majority of my movies are DTS this is a major annoyance for me and I can not watch any movie with those audio-hiccups. :-(

I guess I will just have to wait until someone somewhere puts some love into developing an Amlogic core firmware which does things correctly ...

I just read all the posts over at the Kodi forums.

Have you asked the vendor that you purchased it from whether they have any direct contact with the manufacturer to report the issue and see if there is an updated firmware in the pipeline?

Comment

I did get m8s ii.

Possible run m8s openelec?

Wifi speed bad( i have asus router)

Comment

I just got this box and I must say that I'm not impressed. The wireless on this box is very weak at best and even worse is that it can't play any x265 10 bit content !! I've tried every player out there Kodi, SPMC, VLC, Archos and none of it works with x265 10bit content. You can see here when he tries to play a 4k clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olq3_We5tqQ

Hopefully things will get better over time but in its current form this device is big fail.

Comment

Originally posted by Gazoo View Post
                    I just got this box and I must say that I'm not impressed. The wireless on this box is very weak at best and even worse is that it can't play any x265 10 bit content !! I've tried every player out there Kodi, SPMC, VLC, Archos and none of it works with x265 10bit content. You can see here when he tries to play a 4k clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olq3_We5tqQ

Hopefully things will get better over time but in its current form this device is big fail.

What about the stock player?

Try turning off the HDR setting and see if that makes a difference too.

Comment

Originally posted by bluesmanuk View Post
                      What about the stock player?
                      Try turning off the HDR setting and see if that makes a difference too.
                      Update:
                      In SPMC, Kodi, VLC, and Archos I just get green screen. In Mxplayer and stock movie player hardware acceleration isn't working. You just get extreme studering. Turning off the HDR setting makes no difference.

My older NEXBOX MXQ PRO with just the normal s905 plays all x265 10bit content (hardware accelerated) without any of these issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Gazoo View Post

Update:
                        In SPMC, Kodi, VLC, and Archos I just get green screen. In Mxplayer and stock movie player hardware acceleration isn't working. You just get extreme studering. Turning off the HDR setting makes no difference.

My older NEXBOX MXQ PRO with just the normal s905 plays all x265 10bit content (hardware accelerated) without any of these issues.

A firmware update is definitely required then.

I've asked Gearbest to contact the manufacturer to see what firmware update may be available.

I take it that you will tried any OTA update check within the settings (assuming that there is one(.

Comment

Originally posted by bluesmanuk View Post
                          A firmware update is definitely required then.

I've asked Gearbest to contact the manufacturer to see what firmware update may be available.

I take it that you will tried any OTA update check within the settings (assuming that there is one(.
                          I already did an OTA firmware update but it didn't fix the x265 10 bit issue Its currently running build 20160706. Hopefully they fix the issue soon or I can imagine a lot of mad users as the main reason for people to upgrade is so that they can play 10 bit content.

Comment

Finally got it to take the latest OTA Update
                            Green man kept on falling over...Hmmm anyway great change log,
                            All in good time it will come together, only been out for a few days,
                            Don't get mad over something that cost a few bucks, give it some time, then get mad

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20160717-151136.png
Views:	113
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	585579
                            treboR
                            Please consider
                            Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Found this demo video over at the AVS forum, 3 minute 4K HDR demo
                              Play ok in stock Kodi supplied in Unit
                              Cheers
                              treboR
                              Please consider
                              Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post
                                Found this demo video over at the AVS forum, 3 minute 4K HDR demo
                                Play ok in stock Kodi supplied in Unit
                                Cheers

Gazoo can you try this video on your box and post the results?

If it does play, then it will help by knowing what file that you could not get to play, so that the parameters of the makeup of the file can be analysed to help the manufacturer when it comes to resolving bugs.

Thanks for the test and link Trebor.

Comment

Working...
                                X