Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HPH overclocked kernels by Burs

Hi everyone.

Let me present you the first overclocked HPH kernel!

It is based on original kernel from HPH firmware v1.4.1, so it has all the tweaks and added features to that date. The kernel is not recompiled with source code from other manufacturers or generic RockChip SDK, so everything is in there and you loose nothing (tweaks, fixes, mods, other features). It should also work with any firmware after v1.4.1, but you'll probably loose fixes from that version afterwards. That should not be a biggy for most people, since even I don't notice what's new between firmware revisions.

Since Nagrace distribute their kernels inside boot.img file together with a resource file, I suggest overclock procedure to be flashed that way. And it's even simplier to do the whole procedure like that, opposed to the case when these files are separated. It should work on both 2GB and 4GB models.

In order to overclock your HPH device, you'll have to extract the boot.img file from downloaded archive, and flash it to your device. The most comfortable way I found is using Flashify (root needed ofcourse!) which you can do it in just a few clicks. It's that simple! You don't even have to touch your device and soft-brick it dozens of time like I did lol!

For those who use other custom ROMs, and have kernel and resource files outside boot.img, you'll have to install RockChip drivers and flash kernel.img and resource.img with AndroidTool, or use any method that is most suitable for you (Terminal app with dd command, ADB, etc). Please note that I didn't tested these files as my firmware has everything inside boot.img file, but these files have the same modifications, so they also should work without any problem. Please report if anything doesn't go as it should.

So... These are the things which were modified:

• CPU safety frequency increased, so maximum CPU clock is possible (thanks to Sam from Ugoos for providing invaluable info to make this possible!)
    • CPU frequency increased from [email protected] -> 2.21Ghz@1.40V
    • DDR frequency increased from [email protected] -> 744Mhz@1.25V
    • GPU frequency increased from [email protected] -> 625Mhz@1.25V

Since I'm Windows-environment oriented, I didn't have the luxury like other Linux-minded enthusiasts, so I couldn't recompile the resource file (akka. DTB or "second" file) and repack it together with the kernel into boot.img with ported tools I found on the internet. So the resource file still doesn't have other scalable frequencies on top of frequency tables, and only the top one was modified like it is written above.

I will try to set up these frequency tables proportionaly in next v2 version, so for example, the CPU could work either at 1.8/2.0/2.2Ghz, and not like now at 1.7Ghz or 2.2Ghz with nothing inbetween (frequencies upto 1.7Ghz are all stock ones). But that should not be a big problem, since most apps won't see a difference, and if apps require the most processing power, they will work @2.2Ghz anyway, and overclocking is all about that, isn't it?

In the next version, I'm also planning to remove GPU limit, since I see much info on the internet that cores are able to work even @700Mhz. But that frequency is mentioned mostly for MP2 version of the Mali-T764 chip, which @700Mhz probably don't generate so much heat compared to HPH's MP4 version (4 cores versus 2 cores). I'll need to investigate that futher. Also I'll try to increase DDR speed and tweak voltages a bit. Not that I'm worried about power consumptions, but why juicing overclocked components with over-voltage if they don't need it so much? That way it will prolong their life too.

Results go like this (stock -> overclocked):
    3DMark: 12.550 -> 17.450 (+39%)
    3DMark Extreme: 7.200 -> 10.050 (+40%)
    AnTuTu: 38.400 -> 46.750 (+22%)
    AnTuTu 3D: 11.500 -> 14.700 (+28%)

GFXBench (T-Rex scene) now runs in solid 25 fps. Finaly, lol!

Vellamo tests (stock -> overclocked):
    Metal: 1.448 -> 1.722 (+19%)
    Multicore: 1.939 -> 2.202 (14+%)
    Opera 27: 3.929 -> 4.821 (23+%)

I just need to say these Vellamo bench tests are way ahead of all top brand top model smartphones! So OnePlus One, LG G3, HTC One M8, Samsung Galaxy S5, Xiaomi Mi4, all of them are like second or third league lol! All of the scores, graphs and ranks can be found below in the attachment section.

Stability tests are rock solid. Not a single hichup, freeze, or crash. Only a few soft-bricks in the process lol. Using stock heatsink and active colling, temperature never went above 64°C, but such cases are rare, and last only for short periods of time, like 10 seconds or so. Just to mention, Ugoos version with the cooler doesn't even spin at this peek temperature, so it's nothing to worry about.

Last but not least, I really need to say this:

!!! YOU DO ALL OF THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK !!!

So if your box goes "puff!" followed by a white smoke, please don't call me. Also, if it breaks your 101" TV screen, starts walking around your house insulting your family, or date with your girlfriend - not my call (but she can call me). If you don't know what overclocking is, or how flashing files works, and you're not aware of all the potential problems that might occur, and how to recover from them - this really isn't my problem. It's yours only. And afterall, be aware that overclocking voids your warranty! Any tampering with electronic components in a way they were not made to be operating, will shorten their e-life.

So, at these high clocks, some sort of cooling is a must! I've modded both my case and the cooling system, and it copes really great with higher clocks. You can take a look at it here. It's my "Lunar Lander" as one of the forum member called it, but now I made v2 version with better air flow and cool looks (new pictures will come soon when I find some time to take a few shots).

Download links: MediaFire OR Mega

Enjoy!

Attached Files
    Last edited by no_spam_for_me; 03-22-2015, 17:00. Reason: Change title

So I'm guessing that this would probably be ok to use with nextxeon boards as well? I've been using hph kernel for a long time now in the form of mo123's ROM and except for a few minor differences it has worked excellent.

(Known bugs with hph kernel on R89 are not major and include, power LED stays blue while in standby or sleep mode, power off does reset instead, and probably IR remote not working. I don't know because my unit came with a faulty remote)

I haven't opened my R89, but it certainly looks as though they left plenty of room to add a fan. Maybe I'll give it a shot sometime soon

Cheers,
    -SB
    ---------------------------------------
    Currently using U-BOX R89 with mo123 v1.6.
    Other android tv device - ADT-1 running latest PureNexus 6.0.1 MM and very impressed with the changes vs stock molly!
    Pipo M9S -- CrewRKTab custom rooted 4.4.2
    RCA Viking Pro 10 -- Custom stock rooted 5.1 by me <- FOR SALE
    ----------- ROM by me, the first way to update ZTE Force 4G from ICS to JB http://androidforums.com/threads/fin...om-ics.886408/

Comment

Originally posted by sawbones999 View Post
      So I'm guessing that this would probably be ok to use with nextxeon boards as well?
      It might work, but be aware that even boards that are almost identical can have different tollerance to voltage and higher clocks. This kernel is patched specificaly for HPH boxes as it is based on stock HPH original firmware. For me everything works great, but it wouldn't be weird to me at all even if someone with the same model as me says it doesn't work. As they say, no two boxes are the same. I might code some app which will inject selected clocks and voltages for cpu, gpu and ram altogether. It might take some time, but I'll put it on my todo list. That way if someone have a different box with lower grade components, he could patch his kernel to specificaly match hardware capabilities of his box.

Comment

Originally posted by Burs View Post
        It might work, but be aware that even boards that are almost identical can have different tollerance to voltage and higher clocks. This kernel is patched specificaly for HPH boxes as it is based on stock HPH original firmware. For me everything works great, but it wouldn't be weird to me at all even if someone with the same model as me says it doesn't work. As they say, no two boxes are the same. I might code some app which will inject selected clocks and voltages for cpu, gpu and ram altogether. It might take some time, but I'll put it on my todo list. That way if someone have a different box with lower grade components, he could patch his kernel to specificaly match hardware capabilities of his box.
        This is true. Did you ever try the ugoos oc kernel on your hph, or only this?

Cheers,
        -SB
        Other android tv device - ADT-1 running latest PureNexus 6.0.1 MM and very impressed with the changes vs stock molly!
        ----------- ROM by me, the first way to update ZTE Force 4G from ICS to JB http://androidforums.com/threads/fin...om-ics.886408/

Comment

This is true. Did you ever try the ugoos oc kernel on your hph, or only this?
          I didn't tried ugoos kernel, but I did investigate into it beforehand, and decided not to flash it. While comparing it to HPH kernel, I found loads of differences in kernel and DTB files. Not saying that it wouldn't work, but the biggest concern for me was loosing all the tweaks and features specificaly made for my box by manufacturer. This way I have everything in one package.

Comment

Below you can find v2 of my HPH overclocked kernel...

Download link: MediaFire OR Mega

New features:
            • added scalable frequencies for CPU/GPU/DDR (in addition to default ones)

CPU
            [email protected]
            [email protected]
            [email protected]
            [email protected]

GPU
            [email protected]
            [email protected]

DDR
            [email protected]
            [email protected]

If your box seems unstable at higher CPU clocks, you can limit maximum CPU frequency with AnTuTu CPU Master (root needed!).

All rules from OP still applies!

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Burs View Post
              Below you can find v2 of my HPH overclocked kernel...

Download link: MediaFire OR Mega

New features:
              • added scalable frequencies for CPU/GPU/DDR (in addition to default ones)

CPU
              [email protected]
              [email protected]
              [email protected]
              [email protected]

GPU
              [email protected]
              [email protected]

DDR
              [email protected]
              [email protected]

If your box seems unstable at higher CPU clocks, you can limit maximum CPU frequency with AnTuTu CPU Master (root needed!).

All rules from OP still applies!

Enjoy!
              It Work!!!! great job!

Comment

Here comes v3 of my HPH overclocked kernel...

New features:
                • increased DDR frequency to [email protected]
                • added additional kernel versions with locked frequencies

So, DDR frequency is increased a little bit more, and as a bonus, I've also increased DDR frequency at which the box operates when in normal mode (non-gaming mode, like browsing the web, streaming music/videos, using most of the apps, and things like that), so you should see some improvements there too. That frequency was increased from 456Mhz to 533Mhz, which also results in more fluid user interface.

(disregard "800" from the filename, DDR is actualy clocked @792Mhz)

I've also locked CPU/GPU/DDR frequencies to maximize performance for those who would like to try that. Remember that the kernels below generate much more heat even when the box is doing nothing, so you should really need some 24/7 cooling. You have been warned. If you put your box into standby mode, only DDR will clock down to 200Mhz, and CPU/GPU will stay at maximum frequencies!

People who find DDR@792Mhz unstable, use this kernel with clocked DDR@744Mhz:

If your box can handle DDR@792Mhz, use this kernel:

(disregard "800" from the filename, DDR is actualy clocked @792Mhz)

Scores went up a little bit more, but nothing drastic.

3DMark: 17.450 -> 18.000
                3DMark Extreme: 10.050 -> 10.250
                AnTuTu: 46.750 -> 47.400
                AnTuTu 3D: 14.700 -> 15.050

Screenshots are attached below.

I've also tried to remove GPU lock, but it turned out to be harder than I thought. So if anyone has some useful info on how to remove it, I would greatly appreciate it. Currently I'm coding a windows app which will be able to unpack and repack RK3288 resource images, and my next app will patch RK3288 kernels and remove the CPU safety frequency. It will also patch resource file, so it could have any CPU/GPU/DDR frequency. So stay tuned!

Enjoy!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Guest; 03-08-2015, 00:13.

Comment

Very nice! What sorts of temps are you getting at those speeds?

I'm waiting for mo123's next ROM which is supposedly eminent, then I might add a fan to my R89 and do some testing with your kernel. I'm aware that there are differences, but I've been running an hph kernel for months now and feel comfortable with the idea of at least flashing it for testing purposes. Who knows, if testing goes well it may become daily driver

Have you considered making a kernel with these changes, but also including some of mo's tweaks? Well maybe when you release your patcher, the kernel from mo can be patched for these settings.

Cheers,
                  -SB

Comment

Obviously with the R89 I don't room for a 120mm fan in the stock case. Luckily I have quite an assortment of fan sizes to experiment with.

Edit-I've heard the GPU can handle 700mhz. Have you tested this yet?

Cheers,
                    -SB

Comment

Very nice! What sorts of temps are you getting at those speeds?
                      Under prolonged heavy loads, it reaches about 65-70°C. But most of the time it goes around 55°C. Idling is around 40°C.

Have you considered making a kernel with these changes, but also including some of mo's tweaks? Well maybe when you release your patcher, the kernel from mo can be patched for these settings.
                      Yes, I already told mo I could apply my kernel patch to his rom/kernel, but I think he has plans of his own, or at least he postponed it for another occasion. But yes, when I finish my patcher, it will be able to patch almost any RK3288 kernel, assuming the differences compared to stock kernel are not major ones.

Edit-I've heard the GPU can handle 700mhz. Have you tested this yet?
                      Yes, I've heard that too. But I think that frequency is set on MP2 dual-core verions of Mali-T764. That GPU version generates less heat, so I assume that's why the frequency can be set higher. Yesterday I was browsing through Firefly's kernel source and didn't see anything that would lock GPU@625Mhz. I've tried setting it to 650/675/700Mhz and it didn't have any effect whatsoever. Until someone else chimes in, I'm leaving GPU@625Mhz.

Comment

It seems some users have difficulties running their boxes above 2.0Ghz (no cooling?), so I just uploaded another version of v3 kernel locked at CPU@2016Mhz, GPU@625Mhz, DDR@744Mhz.

Please post your feedbacks here.
                        Last edited by Guest; 03-08-2015, 11:07.

Comment

I don't know which problem, but cooling shouldn't be the problem, because the kernel starts to throttle down if the SoC gets too hot (e.g. > 95°C)....
                          RK3288 Devices
                          - Overview BOX (LINK !)
                          - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                          UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
                          Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                          Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                          Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
                            I don't know which problem, but cooling shouldn't be the problem, because the kernel starts to throttle down if the SoC gets too hot (e.g. > 95°C)....
                            CPU can't throttle down when frequencies are locked. In my previous post I was refering to v3 kernel which is locked @2.21Ghz, so it runs as fast as it can, and if it can't, stability issues occur.

Comment

Ok, your lock means lock at min... ok, that's something I would never do... best way to kill a soc...
                              RK3288 Devices
                              - Overview BOX (LINK !)
                              - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                              UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
                              Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                              Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                              Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Working...
                              X