No announcement yet.

HPH overclocked kernels by Burs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found platform files that I think will probably work. It's really for firefly/linux and not android version, but everything looks like it should work. I'm fairly certain everything in the platform files is also implemented in android.

Just let me know if you want me to try compiling it. Keep in mind, i'll only have firefly sources and it's a crippled version of the driver.. I'm still willing to try it if you think that it will help.

Cheers,
    -SB
    ---------------------------------------
    Currently using U-BOX R89 with mo123 v1.6.
    Other android tv device - ADT-1 running latest PureNexus 6.0.1 MM and very impressed with the changes vs stock molly!
    Pipo M9S -- CrewRKTab custom rooted 4.4.2
    RCA Viking Pro 10 -- Custom stock rooted 5.1 by me <- FOR SALE
    ----------- ROM by me, the first way to update ZTE Force 4G from ICS to JB http://androidforums.com/threads/fin...om-ics.886408/

Comment

So when you're searching for these values in a binary, generally speaking they're in hex, am I correct there?

I would think that 625000000 in hex should be fairly unique within this sort of binary. I guess it would be 25 40 BE 40 ? Sounds like it's unique I suppose but I have done some things like this before and I know 25 40 BE 40 could easily come up as a totally non related string, totally representing something else. Usually if that happens it's because 2 different things right beside each other, which are unrelated, will still end up causing that string in a search of the entire file. In a large file this is much more common, I think, than most people would expect.

Maybe if you decompiled it with hex rays and converted it all to pseudo-code(hex rays will find functions, sub functions, libraries, memory load/stores, etc. and greatly simplify and regroup them all so that it reads easier. Might take multiple passes on the code to get it fully converted) and then searched for this as a variable in int32 or uint32 it might be easier to catch which function it belongs to and then modify the value.

I just don't know how easily you can undo the pseudo-code conversion to get everything back into order. I do know that you can convert it back to a binary without recompiling, and it should reorder everything to the correct memory addresses and correct place in the file but I'm not sure exactly how accurate it is because I haven't tested that. If it works, it might simplify things a lot and weed out false positives such as what I described above.

Might be worth a try. If you want to try it and need the tools PM me and I'll see that you get'em could be a whole lot easier than trying to compare 2 different blobs compiled on different sources and with different compiler versions. Just let me know.

Cheers,
      -SB
      Other android tv device - ADT-1 running latest PureNexus 6.0.1 MM and very impressed with the changes vs stock molly!
      ----------- ROM by me, the first way to update ZTE Force 4G from ICS to JB http://androidforums.com/threads/fin...om-ics.886408/

Comment

Originally posted by sawbones999 View Post
        I would think that 625000000 in hex should be fairly unique within this sort of binary. I guess it would be 25 40 BE 40 ?
        You forgot that this value is in kHz. It should be 625000 (098968h).
        I couldn't find similar data in Wasser's kernel. I suppose that it can have different maximum GPU frequency setting.
        RK3288 2GB/16GB OC 1.9GHz at 1.2V RAM [email protected] Wasser's 3.0.11 firmware
        Out: monitor FullHD 16:9, 3.5" jack headphones; In: remote control, USB HUB: keyboard + mouse + pendrive
        bricked: VOYO V1 mini 8G/64GB Windows 10

Comment

Originally posted by Gormar View Post
          You forgot that this value is in kHz. It should be 625000 (098968h).
          I couldn't find similar data in Wasser's kernel. I suppose that it can have different maximum GPU frequency setting.
          Oh, right 2540BE40 would be in Hz, not kHz. :-P

Burs is working with factory hph kernel though, and wasser is based on nextxeon kernel I think. It could be an entirely different max gpu freq.

Like you said, firefly code shows max at 500mhz.

Have you tested the max gpu freq on wasser's kernel? You should see what it maxes out at and search for that value. If it's also 625mhz, then that is odd not to even find the value once. Perhaps it's another one that is for no apparent reason saved as big endian? Lol

Cheers,
          -SB

Comment

Just let me know if you want me to try compiling it. Keep in mind, i'll only have firefly sources and it's a crippled version of the driver.. I'm still willing to try it if you think that it will help.
            Well, if it's not to much of your effort to compile it, just go ahead. I would need two kernel versions, one with default value, and one with some other value, doesn't matter which, just write it somewhere so I know what should I look for. Then I can compare my so called "pattern bytes" written in front and after the frequency value, and try to find the same pattern in HPH kernel.

I would think that 625000000 in hex should be fairly unique within this sort of binary. I guess it would be 25 40 BE 40 ? Sounds like it's unique I suppose but I have done some things like this before and I know 25 40 BE 40 could easily come up as a totally non related string, totally representing something else.
            First, as Gormar already corrected you, the value should be in kHz. Nevertheless, the value should be fairly unique, especially with all these trailing zeros forming a "clean" number. And even if we find multiple occurences in the binary file (like 3-5), it's still worth changing each one and see what effect does it have. Ofcourse, some changes will probably result in a soft-brick, but I've bricked my box dozens of times, so it won't hurt few times more lol

Have you tested the max gpu freq on wasser's kernel? You should see what it maxes out at and search for that value. If it's also 625mhz, then that is odd not to even find the value once. Perhaps it's another one that is for no apparent reason saved as big endian? Lol
            All frequencies (and generaly all integer values) in kernel code should be encoded as little endians. On the other hand, all frequencies in resource.img are encoded as big endians. So, if some value cannot be found in the kernel code, I would be pretty sure that value is not used as a frequency anywhere.

Comment

@ Burs & Bones

I have the sdk for the firefly and have spent time on the kernel builds. The GPU from what I have been able to determine. Dongles <=5000, Closed set top >=5000 & <6000, and open board builds = 6000. It all seems to depend on cooling. Have not found chip, the info I have been able to find indicates embedded. Is that the board, the Cpu, another video chip, have no idea have not found the chip, so I stick to the recommended builds. There are several warnings on GPU and Temps. I have heard that 7000 is possible With Proper Heat Exchange and Cooling. So until I can locate this embedded Chip? I am sticking to 6240 as a max.

later---cappybob

Comment

Hi Bob.
                What's all with this 5, 6 & 7000 numbers? Is that some kind of performance indexes or what? Are you trying to say the max. frequency is not stored somewhere as an integer number in kHz, but as this 4 digit number? And what "chip" are you refering to? Can you be more specific? I don't get it. I've read your post several times, and I still don't get it. Can you shed some more light on your post?

Comment

Originally posted by Burs View Post
                  Hi Bob.
                  What's all with this 5, 6 & 7000 numbers? Is that some kind of performance indexes or what? Are you trying to say the max. frequency is not stored somewhere as an integer number in kHz, but as this 4 digit number? And what "chip" are you refering to? Can you be more specific? I don't get it. I've read your post several times, and I still don't get it. Can you shed some more light on your post?
                  Sorry too much math notation and shortcuts for referrals. We can all agree on MhZ and KHZ. SO dongles I have seen listed as < (less than) or equal to 500Mhz sealed set top boxes equal to but always equal to 500Mhz and some times if equipped with a heat exchanger (fan) up to 600Mhz, and the Boards open units with full exposure Firefly, Popmetal, Radxa, and etc will show usually the Max Gpu Settings (Agree radxa 31xx, but same as far as max gpu for mali 400 in kernel build). These Max GPU settings are always based on Temperature, more than anything else. As mentioned with Radxa 31xx you will see the same dongle, set top, and board ratios as max GPU. SO with the notations in the kernel builds, Temperature is the #1 concern on the Mali processor. As far as adding a way to cool the Mali, I have not found the chip and I love playing with these boards and do no harm. Researching the Mali chip it is embedded and is that CPU, Board, or another graphics chip. So I have not found it so I have not gone more that 624Mhz. The Firefly is a rk32, an open board, and have heard that it can reach a 700Mhz threshold if properly cooled. As soon as I find the GPU chip I will see if that is true.

later--cappybob

Comment

I'm with Burs here. A little bit confused. I thought that the GPU and the VPU were part of the RK3288 SOC, and not a discrete chip. Did you mean hundreds(MHz) and not thousands(Ghz), or possibly hundreds of thousands (as in khz value for mhz)?

Not related to cappybob's post, from what I gather about compiling this driver, the result will be a module which then needs to be repacked into the boot image with the kernel. Is it not currently a separate module but a part of the kernel? I'm not sure I follow where anyone has searched for the frequency value (kernel vs module).

And now totally unrelated to GPU, has anyone else noticed that the config files in firefly set the kernel up to treat the CPU as cortex-a15 and then there is a note that it's not yet supported and seems to be setup as a generic armv7a. Which to me appears that the kernel is not specifically optimized for the CPU.

Am I correct about this? Do you think kernels from all manufacturers are like this?
                    Cheers,
                    -SB

Comment

Sorry it looks like I asked about the frequency after you already gave the answer cappybob. Your post wasn't there when I started mine

Cheers,
                      -SB

Comment

@cappybob: OK. Now I get what you're saying. Thanks for the info.

I removed my board completely out of the original case and put it into a custom one which is half-open (ventilation holes on the bottom and out-take fan on the top). If that's considered a good cooling, I would try to overclock GPU@675Mhz, if not all the way up to 700Mhz. You live only once, so what the heck

Speaking of SoC's... Good question. I remember trying to identify mali chip on the board the first time I opened the box, but I couldn't find it. But on the other hand I'm not aware of any pre-64bit SoC's embedding the mali chip. I only heard some moths ago it will be a pretty normal for newer 64-bit SoC's to have integrated graphics chip. Maybe on HPH board the mali chip is somewhere below the cpu heatsink, so it can't be seen without removing it? Who knows...

Regarding the kernel and mali driver compiling, I think I can't be much of a help. I believe everything is in kernel. And if the kernel is divided into modules, or some modules exist outside of it, I really don't know. It's black box to me.

Comment

At my overview thread you will find some pcb pictures (also high res and also the t-chip one)...
                          Anyway... I never heard about a separate GPU chip... it's part of the SoC... at RK3188 I only know the HDMI Chip...
                          RK3288 Devices
                          - Overview BOX (LINK !)
                          - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                          UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
                          Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                          Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                          Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Not only we can't find the lock frequency
                            We can't even find a freaking chip lol
                            Who are we kidding?

Comment

hi, burs,

can you help me to fix the files, kernal.img and resource.img

this is original files, i don't know how to overclock,

my box's wifi is AP6330,

i try to use hextool to modify ,but not successful ,no power on,

ex:kernal.img
                              0022D85F change>> 8025e470
                              or
                              resource.img
                              082208 change>> 0B5A40

plesse take a look and support OC can work on my tvbox,

thanks a lot

two files Download link below:
                              百度网盘为您提供文件的网络备份、同步和分享服务。空间大、速度快、安全稳固,支持教育网加速,支持手机端。注册使用百度网盘即可享受免费存储空间

Comment

OK. I downloaded your files, but first tell me what you want to overclock and what frequencies do you want to use? Then I can make all modifications for you and send you the files, so you can try them. If you want all cpu/gpu/ddr to be overclocked, you can just flash my resource.img from kernel v3.1, and to keep your original kernel you could use my kernel patcher app. So in the end you don't have to use any hex-editing. Did you tried that? If yes, but it didn't work, can you please describe the problem?

Comment

Working...
                                X