HPH overclocked kernels by Burs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sawbones999 View Post
    Alright guys, I'm fairly certain that you will find the max GPU freq value (in kHz) in the module at /system/lib/modules/mali_kbase.ko or mali_kbase.ko.3.10.0
    At last I found some time to look at these two suckers. In fact they are completely identical, so I concentrated on .ko file (ELF file?).

Anyway, I was trying to find the value (625MHz) in both little-endian and big-endian formats, but no luck. Either they are encoded in some weird format, or the max frequency is saved as some other value.

I also tried to find some decompilers for ELF files, but no luck either. They are compiled with gcc, and have similar content as resource files (string tables, etc.). That's all I found.

But. I did found one potential offset which have a word (2-byte) value encoded in little-endian format. The value is in Mhz ("625"), and it occurs only once throughout the whole file. Still, I'm not sure whether it's the right one, and what consequences would it have after flashing it back.

I will think about it a bit more (and for VPU too), but I would also appreciate some other viewpoints. Thanks.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-22-2015, 08:31.

Comment

Here's my newest v4 overclock based on HPH's original firmware v1.4.5.

Frequencies are the "standard" HPH ones: [email protected], GPU@625Mhz, DDR@792Hz

The archive include both kernel/resource img's, and boot.img for roms which are using only that one.

Download links: MediaFire or Mega

Be safe & cool

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Burs View Post
        At last I found some time to look at these two suckers. In fact they are completely identical, so I concentrated on .ko file (ELF file?).

Anyway, I was trying to find the value (625MHz) in both little-endian and big-endian formats, but no luck. Either they are encoded in some weird format, or the max frequency is saved as some other value.

I also tried to find some decompilers for ELF files, but no luck either. They are compiled with gcc, and have similar content as resource files (string tables, etc.). That's all I found.

But. I did found one potential offset which have a word (2-byte) value encoded in little-endian format. The value is in Mhz ("625"), and it occurs only once throughout the whole file. Still, I'm not sure whether it's the right one, and what consequences would it have after flashing it back.

I will think about it a bit more (and for VPU too), but I would also appreciate some other viewpoints. Thanks.

Did you remember that the value in the source code is in kHz, and not MHz? 625000 and not 625? Just checking, because from your wording it sounds like you are searching for 625.

Also, about the VPU, I have no idea where to look for the value, but I do know that the code snippet Mo posted showed that there was first a check that the video was h.264, if so then the code also says to check that the pixel width is greater than 3200 before applying the overclock. That's why he said it would only benefit 4K h.264.

Cheers and keep up the good work!
        -SB
        ---------------------------------------
        Currently using U-BOX R89 with mo123 v1.6.
        Other android tv device - ADT-1 running latest PureNexus 6.0.1 MM and very impressed with the changes vs stock molly!
        Pipo M9S -- CrewRKTab custom rooted 4.4.2
        RCA Viking Pro 10 -- Custom stock rooted 5.1 by me <- FOR SALE
        ----------- ROM by me, the first way to update ZTE Force 4G from ICS to JB http://androidforums.com/threads/fin...om-ics.886408/

Comment

Did you remember that the value in the source code is in kHz, and not MHz? 625000 and not 625? Just checking, because from your wording it sounds like you are searching for 625.
          Sorry, bad wording. I was generalizing when I was saying that. Anyway, I tried searching in Hz, Khz, Mhz, you name it, but no trace of the value. Maybe HPH used some other sources or somehow compiled them differently so they ended up in some other place. I really don't know, just wild guessing...

Also, about the VPU, I have no idea where to look for the value, but I do know that the code snippet Mo posted showed that there was first a check that the video was h.264, if so then the code also says to check that the pixel width is greater than 3200 before applying the overclock. That's why he said it would only benefit 4K h.264.
          Oh, I see that now. It's almost in plain English. Haven't thought of looking at it in more detail. 4K then. And about the rest of the question, I could measure the framerate, but if the video gives constant 30 or 60 fps, it's not much of a help. Nevermind, I'm done with flashing for some time, I must give my box a little rest. And finally enjoy in work done so far.

Comment

It's entirely possible that the frequency is in another file somewhere or even in kernel. That file was just a semi-educated guess

Don't blame you for wanting to take a break. Enjoy your hard work!

Cheers,
            -SB
            ---------------------------------------
            Currently using U-BOX R89 with mo123 v1.6.
            Other android tv device - ADT-1 running latest PureNexus 6.0.1 MM and very impressed with the changes vs stock molly!
            Pipo M9S -- CrewRKTab custom rooted 4.4.2
            RCA Viking Pro 10 -- Custom stock rooted 5.1 by me <- FOR SALE
            ----------- ROM by me, the first way to update ZTE Force 4G from ICS to JB http://androidforums.com/threads/fin...om-ics.886408/

Comment

Hi Burs, I have firefly board and I am using the latest Wasser kernel. I wanted to know if it is possible for you to make an OC kernel of it?
              Although I have the original firefly cooler (running at max always) and dissipator on the CPU, and the case is open in the air, I just want a medium OC, not an Extreme one as I want to have this thing run at normal temperatures.

I would really appreciate that work from you mate.

Thank you anyways!

Comment

DIY

Hey man, I have just made a tool which allows to do neccessary changes by yourself.
                Look there. If you have root access rights then you don't even need flashing tool.
                RK3288 2GB/16GB OC 1.9GHz at 1.2V RAM [email protected] Wasser's 3.0.11 firmware
                Out: monitor FullHD 16:9, 3.5" jack headphones; In: remote control, USB HUB: keyboard + mouse + pendrive
                bricked: VOYO V1 mini 8G/64GB Windows 10

Comment

Originally posted by Gormar View Post
                  Hey man, I have just made a tool which allows to do neccessary changes by yourself.
                  Look there. If you have root access rights then you don't even need flashing tool.
                  Awesome work, Gormar!
                  I'll check it out as soon as I find some time.

Originally posted by man View Post
                  Hi Burs, I have firefly board and I am using the latest Wasser kernel. I wanted to know if it is possible for you to make an OC kernel of it?
                  Please check out Gormar's tool first. If it won't go easy, I can do it for you.
                  If you're using Wasser 2.0.7, you can patch it with my kernel patcher app (tested).
                  Patching resource.img involves more work, but I can overclock it for you.
                  Just send me the file, and what frequencies would you like me to put in for cpu/gpu/ddr.

Comment

I am kinda noob at this
                    What are your advices? What freq should I put, and what tool should I use? I don't know if I need to patch kernel or kernel plus resources

Hate to be a faggot, but.... Sorry
                    Last edited by man; 03-23-2015, 19:05.

Comment

I am kinda noob at this
                      What are your advices? What freq should I put, and what tool should I use? I don't know if I need to patch kernel or kernel plus resources

What to be a faggot, but.... Sorry
                      Well, I don't know what to say. Are you really sure you want to overclock your box? I mean really really? What do you need it for? You could do more harm than good if you don't know what you are doing. It's not for people with faint heart If you don't know what overclocking frequencies should you use, and as you say you are noob at this, I recommend not doing it. Anyways, if you don't patch the kernel, you can't overclock cpu. Patching resource.img gives you gpu/ram overclock only. Indeed, it could be easiest for someone else do it for you, but Gormar's tool also seems to be pretty straightforward.

Comment

Originally posted by Burs View Post
                        Well, I don't know what to say. Are you really sure you want to overclock your box? I mean really really? What do you need it for? You could do more harm than good if you don't know what you are doing. It's not for people with faint heart If you don't know what overclocking frequencies should you use, and as you say you are noob at this, I recommend not doing it. Anyways, if you don't patch the kernel, you can't overclock cpu. Patching resource.img gives you gpu/ram overclock only. Indeed, it could be easiest for someone else do it for you, but Gormar's tool also seems to be pretty straightforward.
                        Yes, I know the risks and I have already used OC kernels on my old RK3188, and in this one too (but only till 2,0ghz). Well, I just want the OC to have the maximum "safe" power from the box. It won't be turned on 24h/24h, maybe 2-3h day max. So, it won't damaged it that much..

So I will try to use Gormar tool. Thank you for your explanation on that CPU and GPU/RAM. That's what I wanted to know exactly .

I only need to know one thing now, 2,0ghz for CPU I think it's safe, but I don't have any idea about GPU or RAM. 600 GPU? 700DDR?

P.S. I have used OC kernels, but never DID one.

Comment

@man. It isn't a shame to not now something especially if it isn't your thing .

I will install Wasser's firmware in few days (probably tommorow) therefore I can make OC resource and kernel. I think for starters it will suffice to set CPU to 1800 MHz max @1.35V, GPU to [email protected] and RAM to [email protected]. Then you will need to flash separate resource.img and kernel.img into you FireFly board.

Almost easiest way is to use my tool which will search through resource and kernel partition and change values properly without need to use Windows PC. USB keyboard might be helpfull. Download ZIP archive containing my tool, extract cfg and elf file with i.e. EZ Zip Viewer with Root Explorer enabled in EZ file Explorer (for 15 min will suffice) to chosen path: i.e. /data/.
                          After that you can change overclockmatic_RK3288.cfg file with EZ File Explorer. Remove 2000 1400 line from CPU section and replace 6 with 5 after "CPU" text. Then using Terminal Emulator execute this program (type: cd /data/ and press ENTER key then ./overclockmatic_RK3288.elf 5 and ENTER) with only one parameter: 5 and answer to few not so hard questions . Before accepting file write compare visualy data before and after changes.
                          Last edited by Gormar; 03-23-2015, 22:16. Reason: Workable "how to use" instructions :)
                          RK3288 2GB/16GB OC 1.9GHz at 1.2V RAM [email protected] Wasser's 3.0.11 firmware
                          Out: monitor FullHD 16:9, 3.5" jack headphones; In: remote control, USB HUB: keyboard + mouse + pendrive

Comment

I only need to know one thing now, 2,0ghz for CPU I think it's safe, but I don't have any idea about GPU or RAM. 600 GPU? 700DDR?
                            It all depends on grade at which the components are rated. It varies for every manufacturer, but Firefly is a quality board, so I'm almost sure you can reach highest clocks. Also for example, our HPH devices can easily run [email protected], gpu@625mhz, ddr@792mhz, 24/7. At least mine does. Not that it runs at these frequencies all the time, but when it needs to, it's rock stable. If I were you, I would clock cpu@2ghz, gpu@594mhz, ddr@648mhz for starting point. After you see it's all good and well, and you still want more for whatever reason, slightly increase the frequencies and watch for the temps not go too high.

Comment

Many thanks to you both!

BTW, do you use ART or Dalvik? I find ART somewhat buggy in 4.4.2 ..

Comment

I use Dalvik. ART doesn't bode well with me . And it isn't so much faster to overlook pile of trouble.

Comment

Working...
                                X