Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to cache to External SDcard speed up video buffering, faster and smoother video streaming.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe it related to type of your sdcard, I have tried both and they working fine with my sdcard. I'm using sanddisk ultra. Glad its working for you. This will help a lot with slow source or internet when streaming 1080p or 720p.

Comment

Hi,

Awesome tutorial!
      Streaming is now working very well on my Minix X8-H.

Only thing that's annoying is that when I wake the box from standby/deep sleep and start XBMC, XBMC is preparing for 1st run every time, which takes a very long time (sometimes up to 5 minutes)

Is there a way to avoid this?

Comment

I believe when the device wake up, it take folder mount about 30 seconds to mount the sdcard. Wait until it mounted then launch xbmc, if you want, you could manually mount it. let me know how it goes...

Comment

Originally posted by buhohitr View Post
          I believe when the device wake up, it take folder mount about 30 seconds to mount the sdcard. Wait until it mounted then launch xbmc, if you want, you could manually mount it. let me know how it goes...
          Hi, thanks for the suggestion, but i believe the problem is due to Android 4.4 not allowing apps to write to external media, hence somehow is screwing up the temp folder on the external SD

I hope i fixed it by patching android to allow writing to external SD - currently testing and so far xbmc does not prepare for first run when the box wakes from standby/sleep, but it might not be the cleanest way to solve this problem.
          Maybe i should also look into path substitution.

Regards

Comment

Using Folder mount should address the isse with sdcard write to sdcard on 4.4. That is the beauty of folder mount. Try to reformat the sdcard with fat32
            then reset up again. The path should be /mnt/Internal_sd/android/data/com.xbmc.org, destination should be /mnt/external_SD/android/data/destfolder.

Comment

Originally posted by buhohitr View Post
              Using Folder mount should address the isse with sdcard write to sdcard on 4.4. That is the beauty of folder mount. Try to reformat the sdcard with fat32
              then reset up again. The path should be /mnt/Internal_sd/android/data/com.xbmc.org, destination should be /mnt/external_SD/android/data/destfolder.

Agreed, however this apparently was not the case. I followed your tutorial to the letter. Have formatted the SD to fat32 and set the paths correctly. Foldermount has done its thing. When i started up xbmc i saw the "preparing for 1st run" thing.
              So i downloaded an app called SD Kitkat fixer and checked permissions. It showed that system/etc/permissions/platform.xml was not modified for apps that request the permission " WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE", so i run the app and once i rebooted the box and started up xbmc, no more "preparing for 1st run"
              Have been testing it for 2 days now, and when i wake the box from sleep, xbmc is running normally and starts immediately to the home screen.

Comment

Hi I followed the steps and and now XMBC wont run. It either crashes or the screen remains blanks.

If I reboot and enter before foldermount kicks in. I can get in to XBMC but its blank and I can't configure things like Fusion because it wont connect to the network.

I'm using Minix X8-h. Folder mount seems to have worked, the pin goes green etc, but XBMC is dead.

I uninstalled XMBC and re-installed it, but I still get the same problem.

any ideas?

Comment

Re: How to cache to External SDcard speed up video buffering, faster and smoother video streaming.

Originally posted by tasmaniandevil37 View Post
                  Hi I followed the steps and and now XMBC wont run. It either crashes or the screen remains blanks.

If I reboot and enter before foldermount kicks in. I can get in to XBMC but its blank and I can't configure things like Fusion because it wont connect to the network.

I'm using Minix X8-h. Folder mount seems to have worked, the pin goes green etc, but XBMC is dead.

I uninstalled XMBC and re-installed it, but I still get the same problem.

any ideas?
                  Is your device rooted? Are you running Kitkat? If yes the download sd kitkat fixer from playstore to fix external sdcard permission issue with kikat. Makesure your sdcard formatted with fat32. Seems the issue you are having related to xbmc unable to write to your sdcard.

Comment

I have it sorted now.

It was strange. My card was exFat which my device could read but not when I was booting in to reboot when I was rooting it. I had to format it to fat32 to root from SD.

After following your steps even after using the SD kitkat app XBMC would crash or stay blank.

I had to re-format the card back to exFat and re-followed your steps and it worked perfectly.

Its odd I could only root when it was fat32 and only follow your guide when it was exFat.

Thanks for the help and for having an easy guide to follow.
                    Last edited by tasmaniandevil37; 09-18-2014, 17:10.

Comment

I got error extsdcard permission on foldermount. My sd card is in ext4 format. I already use sd fix for kitkat but it still does not help. Help me please
                      Last edited by happyboy; 09-20-2014, 16:48.

Comment

When I open foldermount I'm stuck at checking for root

Comment

Do you know if this can be done with the SD card being NTFS format? I tend to store files larger then 4GB on sd. I have NTFS mounter as well. The system sees the card and mounts right after boot. Foldermount also sees the external_sd.

Comment

Re: How to cache to External SDcard speed up video buffering, faster and smoother video streaming.

Originally posted by cyrusalmighty View Post
                            Do you know if this can be done with the SD card being NTFS format? I tend to store files larger then 4GB on sd. I have NTFS mounter as well. The system sees the card and mounts right after boot. Foldermount also sees the external_sd.
                            Please forget this method. And look in this thread for the advancedsettings.xml part.

Comment

Originally posted by wackidth View Post
                              Please forget this method. And look in this thread for the advancedsettings.xml part.
                              http://www.minixforum.com/index.php?posts/10826
                              I do not really understand the values of that advancedsettings.xml file. So what do I do? Do I add this code/settings to my advancedsettings.xml and put back in its folder?

Comment

Originally posted by cyrusalmighty View Post
                                I do not really understand the values of that advancedsettings.xml file. So what do I do? Do I add this code/settings to my advancedsettings.xml and put back in its folder?
                                You can copy and paste the whole file. It's all explained in the xml. What each line does.
                                Every sentence where the "!" signs stands, means it's not readable for xbmc.

Comment

Working...
                                X