No announcement yet.

Arnova 8G2 8GB - Finless Bob's "GingerComb" Custom ROM Version 2.1 - FINAL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright, nice, battery icon seems to be working correctly with the system.img of post 18, just flashed it.

Comment

After MorkaMod

This is a great ROM! There are not too many custom ROMs for the Arnova 8 G2 8GB, thanks very much for providing this Bob.

I did have some problems in the beginning. I had MorkaMod's ROM installed. It worked ok, but it had some quirks. I downloaded and installed your "GingerComb" without reading any instructions. It worked fine the first time (I knew to reboot right away).

Then for some crazy reason I looked at the "README FIRST.TXT" and decided to make another install. I thought it would be more stable. Step #2 of the install is "YOU MUST ERASE IDB FOR THIS TO WORK". I did that. Step #3 is "You must check the loader check box and flash the loader", so I did that too.

It started up ok on the second install but seemed to get stuck after the "blinking eyes" phase. The screen went blank (backlight still lit up though). Then it would make a click sound every 20 seconds or so, like it was restarting the sound system over and over.

After this I tried re-installing the ROM multiple times, including installing MorkaMod again. This is kind of the tablet hacking equivalent of bashing it with a hammer. One of the installs finally booted all the way.

I've tried the ROM out for a day and everything seems ok. One thing that bothers me is the default install of Button Saviour. I know it's a cool app, and a lifesaver if your buttons don't work or are not available. The Arnova 8 G2 has lots of buttons though. But what really bothers me is that Button Saviour requires USB debug mode, and that interferes with using USB for storage access. So I turn USB debug off and leave Button Saviour twisting in the wind.

I'll say it again though, great ROM Bob! Is there a possiblity that you'll make more versions for the Arnova 8 G2? I'll gladly help if I can. I'm new to the Android world but I'm an old hand at Unix/Linux (more than 20 years experience). Let me know if I can help.

Comment

OK so since this is a rooted rom. Go get ES File explorer from Google Play. In setting for ES file explorer turn on ROOT explorer mode.

Now navigate to /system/app and just delete the button.apk file.

Reboot and button savior will be gone!

For the 10G2 and other Arnovas that do not have physical buttons, this is why I HAD to install button savior. With this ROM some apps will hide the status bar and if you do not have hard buttons, without button savior your are stuck!
        Since I have never even seen an 8G2, I figured you guys needed it too.... Since you have hard buttons, you can now just remove it.

Bob
        "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
        "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
        "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
        "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
        "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
        "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
        "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
        "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
        "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
          OK so since this is a rooted rom. Go get ES File explorer from Google Play.
          Very cool! Thanks again Bob.

I like the reboot app though, it's very handy

Comment

Hiya Bob,

I know you're a busy man but is there any chance of getting your 2.2 rom over here?

Still using your 2.1 and loving it but getting itchy fingers for more tweaking.

If you have the time it would be great,

Cheers

Blinky

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Sorry Blinky..... I know you have been asking a while now.

I will do it as next priority!

Bob

Comment

Your a star mate, when your ready.

Comment

I'd try out that 2.2 ROM, too, when it's done

One minor thing or bug I noticed in 2.1:
                  After a reboot, all icons in the launcher of App2SD'd apps aren't showing the correct icon, but a standard/generic android icon. Note, that I'm not using a real SDCard in the slot, just using the "internal SD".
                  Restarting the launcher fixes that problem and the real icons appear, until the next reboot.

Comment

Re: Arnova 8G2 8GB - Finless Bob's "GingerComb" Custom ROM Version 2.1 - FINAL

Bob you had any spare time to run an update to this rom? I know your busy and don't have any intention of going further with the g2's but the 2.2 would be great

Good to see as well that arnova didn't release the source for the 8g2, think I made a poor purchase here, never mind at least we have your roms to make it a bit better.

Cheers

Blinky

Comment

Sorry blinky... this has been on my mind for sure! Daman even made boot screens already...

My priority is ROMs that are not rooted at all. This has been keeping me busy as hell!

I will get to it trust me.

Maybe I can talk Snakekiller into having a go and I will give him my scripts.
                      Snakey.... you interested?

Bob

Comment