Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CYX_809III V5_0 20140510 (CX-919, MK809IV clone) not connecting to PC as USB device for flashing / rooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In linux it gives the following dmesg output when connecting:

[ 158.609701] usb 2-1: new low-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
    [ 158.909659] usb 2-1: new low-speed USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd
    [ 159.209650] usb 2-1: new low-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd
    [ 160.177627] usb 2-1: new low-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd
    [ 160.477618] usb 2-1: new low-speed USB device number 7 using xhci_hcd
    [ 160.777610] usb 2-1: new low-speed USB device number 8 using xhci_hcd
    [ 161.077603] usb 2-1: new low-speed USB device number 9 using xhci_hcd
    [ 166.837500] usb 2-1: new low-speed USB device number 12 using xhci_hcd
    [ 167.141447] usb 2-1: new low-speed USB device number 13 using xhci_hcd
    [ 167.445438] usb 2-1: new low-speed USB device number 14 using xhci_hcd
    [ 167.749431] usb 2-1: new low-speed USB device number 15 using xhci_hcd
    [ 168.537408] usb 2-1: new low-speed USB device number 16 using xhci_hcd
    [ 168.841430] usb 2-1: new low-speed USB device number 17 using xhci_hcd

and on another usb controller:

[ 448.522361] usb 4-1.8: new low-speed USB device number 6 using ehci-pci
    [ 448.738353] usb 4-1.8: new low-speed USB device number 7 using ehci-pci
    [ 448.954341] usb 4-1.8: new low-speed USB device number 8 using ehci-pci
    [ 449.194329] usb 4-1.8: new low-speed USB device number 9 using ehci-pci
    [ 449.706313] usb 4-1.8: new low-speed USB device number 10 using ehci-pci
    [ 449.962313] usb 4-1.8: new low-speed USB device number 11 using ehci-pci
    [ 450.218311] usb 4-1.8: new low-speed USB device number 12 using ehci-pci
    [ 450.474304] usb 4-1.8: new low-speed USB device number 13 using ehci-pci
    [ 450.730289] usb 4-1.8: new low-speed USB device number 14 using ehci-pci
    [ 450.986273] usb 4-1.8: new low-speed USB device number 15 using ehci-pci
    [ 451.242264] usb 4-1.8: new low-speed USB device number 16 using ehci-pci
    [ 451.498258] usb 4-1.8: new low-speed USB device number 17 using ehci-pci
    [ 451.754245] usb 4-1.8: new low-speed USB device number 18 using ehci-pci
    [ 452.010240] usb 4-1.8: new low-speed USB device number 19 using ehci-pci
    [ 452.266231] usb 4-1.8: new low-speed USB device number 20 using ehci-pci
    [ 452.522230] usb 4-1.8: new low-speed USB device number 21 using ehci-pci
    [ 452.778214] usb 4-1.8: new low-speed USB device number 22 using ehci-pci
    [ 453.034191] usb 4-1.8: new low-speed USB device number 23 using ehci-pci
    [ 453.290197] usb 4-1.8: new low-speed USB device number 24 using ehci-pci

Don't know what the hell this means Guess I'll wait for some new cables then.

Comment

Same problem here...

It seems that I've also purchased a fake CX-919, since I'm experiencing the exact same problems.
      I've tried to get it into flashing mode by holding the FN while connecting it to the OTG port (which is on the side of the box, BTW) -- no luck with 2 different cables and 3 PCs (Win7 and Win8.1).
      In all cases Windows shows a faulty "Unknown Device" in device manager and don't respond to any attempt to update the default drives with those provided by Finless.

However, the device seems to respond somewhat to this combination (of Fn + OTG connection) by showing a special "thinking" android logo (the same as posted here) - so perhaps there is a chance that something extra can be done in order to get it to be recognized by Windows.

If anyone has an idea, or experiencing the same problems - please share it here, and perhaps by some kind of modding we can make this clone work like a real CX-919.
      Another direction perhaps would be to upload custom ROMs through the device itself (something like CWM)

Does Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Comment

Check out this thread also: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...N-with-ESP8089 ... it should contain some custom roms for our device. And the dude in the last post is having a similar issue (I was in touch with him already).

I'm not sure if it can be called a 'fake'.. it's more like a 'clone' with different bluetooth/wifi chip, so this is why original CX-919 roms won't work well.. Most of these sticks / boxes have a lot of different versions, so it seems we just made an unlucky choice.

About the 'thinking' android logo.. As I mentioned, I think it does a factory reset then..

The next thing I'm gonna try is: Plug in the OTG cable

..in the 'OTG' port and a full size male to male usb cable between that and the PC.. Perhaps this will make a difference somehow.. If it doesn't, I will try a "y-cable" or OTG cable with usb power connector

[IMG]http://i.****img.com/t/Micro-USB-Host-OTG-Cable-W-USB-power-for-i9100-i9300-i9220-i9250-N7100-XOOM-/00/s/MTAyNFgxMDI0/$(KGrHqN,!jUE+u!eqJ+uBQH9SMno6!~~60_35.JPG[/IMG]

..to make sure it's feeding some power on the usb connection... Somehow I'm getting the feeling that it's not getting enough power (it seems it's trying to reconnect always, which is why in linux it's adding new devices with increasing numbers.. and in windows device manager you can see that it's renewing/refreshing the list every second or so).. Unfortunately, powering the stick on the DC port prior to connecting to the PC doesn't seem to make any difference..

Another thing I didn't try is use the MOUSE / KEYBOARD full size USB port to connect to the PC.. because I don't have a normal size USB male-male cable yet.. Maybe it will connect as mass storage device then within android.. Or maybe it will work in flash mode with the 'fn' button.. Did you try perhaps?
        Last edited by CoolerKing; 08-08-2014, 22:22.

Comment

I also don't have such cables. I will try to get one of those during the next week.
          You said you've ordered them? When they should arrive?

Originally posted by CoolerKing View Post
          Check out this thread also: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...N-with-ESP8089 ... it should contain some custom roms for our device. And the dude in the last post is having a similar issue (I was in touch with him already).

I'm not sure if it can be called a 'fake'.. it's more like a 'clone' with different bluetooth/wifi chip, so this is why original CX-919 roms won't work well.. Most of these sticks / boxes have a lot of different versions, so it seems we just made an unlucky choice.

About the 'thinking' android logo.. As I mentioned, I think it does a factory reset then..

The next thing I'm gonna try is: Plug in the OTG cable

..in the 'OTG' port and a full size male to male usb cable between that and the PC.. Perhaps this will make a difference somehow.. If it doesn't, I will try a "y-cable" or OTG cable with usb power connector

[IMG]http://i.****img.com/t/Micro-USB-Host-OTG-Cable-W-USB-power-for-i9100-i9300-i9220-i9250-N7100-XOOM-/00/s/MTAyNFgxMDI0/$(KGrHqN,!jUE+u!eqJ+uBQH9SMno6!~~60_35.JPG[/IMG]

..to make sure it's feeding some power on the usb connection... Somehow I'm getting the feeling that it's not getting enough power (it seems it's trying to reconnect always, which is why in linux it's adding new devices with increasing numbers.. and in windows device manager you can see that it's renewing/refreshing the list every second or so).. Unfortunately, powering the stick on the DC port prior to connecting to the PC doesn't seem to make any difference..

Another thing I didn't try is use the MOUSE / KEYBOARD full size USB port to connect to the PC.. because I don't have a normal size USB male-male cable yet.. Maybe it will connect as mass storage device then within android.. Or maybe it will work in flash mode with the 'fn' button.. Did you try perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by krok55 View Post
            I also don't have such cables. I will try to get one of those during the next week.
            You said you've ordered them? When they should arrive?
            I'm also hoping to receive them this week.

If anyone with the same problem is reading this thread, then now is the time to report in. In the event that the USB cables don't help, we will have to prepare a claim against the seller. The more people report the same problem, the more likely we are of getting a full refund.

Customer care is usually piss poor with these sellers, and the first thing they do is ask for proof, which is what we're gonna need for a paypal dispute also.

So the main problems that I've encountered with this device are:
            - Even though it's sold as a CX-919, it's a clone version that doesn't offer the same functionality.
            The different wifi/bluetooth chips means that the popular roms aren't compatible.
            - The flashing / usb seems to be broken.
            - And even though the real CX-919 has a reputation for excellent wifi reception (which is why I chose it), I'm quite disappointed by the wifi reception on this one. I guess this is due to the different wifi chip (ESP8089 instead of AP6210) or inferior components / antenna.

To showcase these problems:
            - External pictures of the product, which shows the different positions and names of the ports compared to 'original' CX-919.
            - Pictures of the inside of the casing, showing the different chips (ESP8089 instead of AP6210). Show the 'CYX_809III' and claim that this indicates that it's a 'MK809' type device instead of 'CX-919'.
            Here's another person with the same problem and the same PCB, but externally it resembles a MK809, so I guess it proves that they are selling the same hardware with different names and therefore CX-919 doesn't mean anything
            http://forum.xda-developers.com/hardware-hacking/android-sticks/usb-enumeration-linux-mk809iv-t2823634
            - Make a video that shows that the device doesn't respond when plugging in the USB. Maybe show another device in the same video that does work when performing the same steps.
            - Refer to other buyers that are having the same problem (do paypal disputes have a unique number?). This can also include negative feedbacks that show in the seller profile, such as this one (copy/paste the image url if it doesn't show in full size):

Last edited by CoolerKing; 08-11-2014, 09:44.

Comment

Here are two more reports with the same issue:

I've renamed the thread to better reflect the particular board that is having this problem

Comment

Guys, try to ask your sellers, how factory personal flash roms. Maybe there is any special procedure. This is my message for example:

Hello. A ordered a MK809IV tv box from your store. Everything is OK, but I can't flash any ROM to it using common procedure. I push reset button and connnect to PC using OTG, but I see "Usb device not recognized" message on PC. Can you consult me, maybe there is a special flashing procedure for this model, that is used on factory?

Seller answered me:

ok, I will check and let you know soon

Comment

I did contact my seller also with the same questions.. no reply yet.

Still haven't received a USB male to male cable for testing.

Comment

Try to ask for any contact to factory: for example company name, website, or sale manager. I did the same, this information will be useful too.

Comment

male-to-male cable didn't help

Got a full size "male-to-male" cable - the PC doesn't recognize it at all, but the blue led is responding and the device seems to be powered up.
                      Also tried a good quality micro usb data cable - same response.

It seems that there is something special in the cable that comes with the device - at least the PC displays that "Unrecognized Device" message. (which I didn't see with any other cable)

Maybe we can put it into flashing mode by shortening specific pins on the board? Anyone has any experience with it?

Comment

I tried different possible combinations. No result.

Comment

29F64G08CBAAA

Originally posted by Ancharas View Post
                          I tried different possible combinations. No result.
                          Just found this thread:

And this datasheet for our device:

Which combinations did you try?

I'm sure there must be a right way to do this...

Comment

I think the first page had the correct pins (it matches other devices).. I tried shortening them and the device didn't output any image when powering on (which may indicate that it was correct), but the issue seems to be the USB connection.

@ Ancharas, does your device have any serial number on the box? Our CX-919 clone has 'V594' on the box. I don't know if this could bring us any closer to finding the manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolerKing View Post
                              I think the first page had the correct pins (it matches other devices).. I tried shortening them and the device didn't output any image when powering on (which may indicate that it was correct), but the issue seems to be the USB connection.

@ Ancharas, does your device have any serial number on the box? Our CX-919 clone has 'V594' on the box. I don't know if this could bring us any closer to finding the manufacturer.
                              It doesn't mean anything. The first page shows a NAND chip from Sandisk. Our is of Micron.

Maybe we should look for a hack that will allow us to root this device (from within) and then use CWM for the new firmware?

Comment

Let us know if you find anything that works.. I tried z4root and towelroot but they didn't work.

Comment

Working...
                                X