No announcement yet.

Box started on fire when plugging in otg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for all the great help I've received. I'm so glad I didn't just give up on it and also, the great help that neomode gave me in getting me in touch with the right people. And also the extent ray was gonna go for me if MINIX didn't replace my box. What a great person for believing me and wanting to make sure their users were very happy.. I'm glad you guys care about your users so much. Freaktab is an awesome place.
    I've been in touch with MINIX and they are gonna replace my box as long as I ship them mine so they can do exstensive testing to find out the cause, and hopefully prevent this from happening again. If they contact me with the reason I will surely post it here.
    I really hope we could find out...
    I'll update when I receive my new x8h! Very happy indeed. Sure, I'm out a laptop but its time I upgraded in my life anyway. I'll survive. At least Ill have another device besides my phone until I can pay my way through classes and get me a new laptop or something close to new.
    Hey MINIX, if you find out the board was totally at fault, can you replace my laptop?? Haa I know that's probably not possible.. It's OK. Can't wait for my new neo! I hope 002 stable is out by then!
    I'm gonna be so scared to update with the flash tool ever again and especially if I have to borrow a PC to do it with.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds to me like a capacitor shorted.

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have pictures of the otg cable. I thought I put them up but I guess I didn't. It looks crazy with a big ol hole in it. I'll upload them after lunch break

Comment

Originally posted by cuezaireekaa View Post
          I have pictures of the otg cable. I thought I put them up but I guess I didn't. It looks crazy with a big ol hole in it. I'll upload them after lunch break

Did you send Minix the power plug also? For the life of me, I can not figure out how any low voltage device can create such a large spark.
          MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Re: Box started on fire when plugging in otg

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post
            Did you send Minix the power plug also? For the life of me, I can not figure out how any low voltage device can create such a large spark.
            Yeah, everything. I'm just having an issue sending it to Hong Kong. My ups store told me it would be around $100 to ship it. Haha yes, like in going to pay that.. I'm gonna try postal service tomorrow and see what they want to charge me.

The people I've talked to that know more about this and more about electrical than i do said it was freaky also.

MINIX company want to investigate it to see how this could've happened so I'm sending them everything and I sent them all the pictures.
            Here's some crazy pics. Sorry if the quality is bad, I'll upload to imgur afterwords if they look terrible here. I'm using Tapatalk to upload them right now.

Comment

Did you ever get any feed back on what the cause of the fire was?
              MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

USB fuse blown

I had the USB fuse blown on my Gigabyte board with the OTG cable boxed from Minix. I think it was a short in the micro B end of the cable though it didn't take out my X8-H just a couple of my USB ports. I repaired the USB ports on my motherboard by resoldering new fuses. I also had the power button on the M1 break off on the PCB. I also repaired that.

All that over a 50 cent cable and half a cent switch!

Then the various firmware issues... and A2 issues.

Oh and the shit attitude on the Minix forum regarding any complaints whatsover...

I still use the X8-X and find it a fast little Android box despite it's current software issues.

I'll wait until official v2 firmware release to render final judgement though at this point all and all it's been a bad experience.

Comment

nothing yet. received product but no feedback from MINIX. i asked for feedback also in the email because i don't want it to happen again.

maybe its just a USB fuse that's blown on my laptop. it tries to power on but just goes out in a mater of seconds. haven't opened it up yet. not too skilled but what do i have to lose haha

sorry to the poster under me that you've had a bad experience. i still use mine and for the most part, the a2 has been working good for me with latest beta and bobs tweaker. wana come take a lok at my destroyed laptop? hahaha i kid.

Sent from my NEO-X8-H using Tapatalk

Comment

nothing yet. received product but no feedback from MINIX. i asked for feedback also in the email because i don't want it to happen again.

maybe its just a USB fuse that's blown on my laptop. it tries to power on but just goes out in a mater of seconds. haven't opened it up yet. not too skilled but what do i have to lose haha

sorry to the poster above me that you've had a bad experience. i still use mine and for the most part, the a2 has been working good for me with latest beta and bobs tweaker. wana come take a lok at my destroyed laptop? hahaha i kid.

Sent from my NEO-X8-H using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by cuezaireekaa; 11-07-2014, 13:32.

Comment

That is a strange one. Your laptop USB port is only 5 volts at 500 miliamps. Your power to your android box is 5 volts at 2 amps. Did you open the android box or laptop to find the cause? Very interesting.
                      Unless his laptop had USB 3 which can output 9 amps !

Comment

Originally posted by EdT View Post
                        Unless his laptop had USB 3 which can output 9 amps !
                        Are you sure, 9 amps?

Comment

Are you sure, 9 amps?
                          Correction: USB3 was designed to take up to 5A per port. 0.9A is the general load on USB3 compared to 0.5A on USB2. If you have 4-7 USB3 ports then your power adapters should be able to pump out 3.6A to 6.3A !

Comment

Was it a usb 3 port on the laptop and was there any sign of burning on that port ?

Comment

Originally posted by gjs999 View Post
                              Was it a usb 3 port on the laptop and was there any sign of burning on that port ?
                              It was not, and there wasnt any burning on the laptop or on that end of the otg cable for that matter, yet laptop stopped working after short.. Only things with visible damage was the box and cable (micro USB end)

Sent from my SM-N900T

Comment

Originally posted by cuezaireekaa View Post
                                It was not, and there wasnt any burning on the laptop or on that end of the otg cable for that matter, yet laptop stopped working after short.. Only things with visible damage was the box and cable (micro USB end)

Sent from my SM-N900T
                                Only thing that can give that much current is the battery from the laptop, I can't think of anything else that can give that much current to cause an arc.

Comment

Working...
                                X