Teclast T98 4G RileyROM 1.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teclast T98 4G RileyROM 1.0

This ROM is based on official Teclast firmware T98 4G八核 (C6R2)-Android4.4.4-V1.08-5BA6 from their support site.

I do not own one of these tablets, so let someone experienced with flashing custom ROM's try this and post here their results from testing before trying as a beginner.

I've only changed the boot.img and system.img files...so the rest of the firmware is completely stock. I had errors getting the scatter file to load in the flash tool that was included with the firmware, so I've switched to the version of the SP flash tool I've been using on all of my other ROM's. I had no trouble making a custom CWM Recovery for this ROM with MTK Droid Tools.

This ROM is:

Rooted with ClockworkMod Superuser
    Debloated
    Init.d/Busybox support added
    There were no ABN files, so I'm not sure how to change the user app space on this ROM. It may be combined with the internal SD space.
    New boot animation
    CWM Recovery created with MTK Droid Tools v2.5.3
    Reboot app by Petrus
    Google Play Store fixes
    English Default

Just follow the instructions in the First Time User's Guide PDF file in the root folder of the ROM kit.

Download

Edit:

Here is RileyROM v1.2 based on factory firmware 1.09.

Download

There are a few differences here. First, you will find both TWRP and CWM recovery options. TWRP was furnished from a link later on this thread...I don't know the source, but there are reports of it working. I attempted to create a CWM Recovery with MTK Droid Tools...it isn't tested, but you can try it if you want.

Next, there is an alternative boot.img file you can use if you want to swap the internal and external SD's. Just flash the swap_sd_boot.img instead of boot.img if you want this option implemented on your tablet.

There are no EBR files with this ROM, so I'm not sure how, if necessary, to increase the user app space. It could be that the ROM is configured to combine userdata with the user partitions....so you may not want to swap internal and external SD if that's the case.

PLEASE READ POST #4 on this thread for information about backing up your IMEI and NVRAM data:

Last edited by rrileypm; 03-19-2015, 01:11.
    Randy
    Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
    Read my BIO Here
    Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
    Donate here

Thanks a lot for the ROM, first of all, Riley.

When trying to flash, there was an error message just after running the flashtool...

Image boot checksum failed!
    Checksum reference value(0x1f53) in the config ini file.
    Please re-fill correct checksum value and re-load scatter file again.

What can I do?, apart from trying to flash the recovery alone...?
    Last edited by flux1000; 12-31-2014, 15:10.

Comment

Hello again Riley

I tried to flash the CWM recovery.img inside your custom ROM, and I couldn't. The flash tool showed me error 4008 (the same error that when I tried to flash TWRP...2.83.10 LEPI). But when I flashed back the original recovery.img I got no error so I suppose that it's not due to the cable/drive stuff....because I 've flashed a Chuwi VX8 in the same PC with SP FT and I got no error...

Right now, I'm stuck..not knowing what to do. Any help from you will be very well welcomed...

Comment

Are you using the factory version of the SP Flash Tool...or the one from my ROM kit?

There is a checksum.ini file you can edit. Change CHECKSUM_SWITCH to zero instead of 1 and the error should stop.

I'm not sure what's up with the CWM Recovery. Since I don't have one of these tablets, It's impossible for me to test.
        Randy
        Read my BIO Here
        Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
        Donate here

Comment

Aside from the CWM Recovery...the only thing I've changed is boot.img and system.img.

So when you start to flash...uncheck all of the items except for boot.img and system.img and only flash them.
          Randy
          Read my BIO Here
          Donate here

Comment

Ok , checksum changed to 1.

I've tried to flash (the CMW recovery only) with the SP FT that comes with your ROM..and I halts...freezes, it doesn't work.

Trying to flash CMW (only this one) with the SPtool (download only option) inside the original ROM It can FLASH THE CWM RECOVERY!!!! but once inside the CWM everything is dark and needs long pressing power button down to reboot. Perhaps this CWM is not working properly..don't know

But, this is a step further...

What do you think I shoould do next?

Comment

It seems that I had a problem with CWM on another Teclast tablet that we couldn't resolve. My method of creating CWM Recovery is by using the MTK Droid Tool...which works most of the time. We might have to get our resident TWRP expert, Abdul_pt...or our CWM expert, Leolas to do their magic.

If you flash the new ROM with stock recovery, and my new boot.img and system.img, you shouldn't loose your IMEI/NVRAM if you flash in "Download Only" mode. The good thing about MTK devices is that you can actually do some stuff in stock recovery.
              Randy
              Read my BIO Here
              Donate here

Comment

Yeah, I know the tutorials you wrote about this topic...excellent ones!!!, very instructives.

I think I should wait for a working CMW/TWRP, shouldn't I? Because otherwise root isn't posible...

I don't know what to do...

Comment

Yes that appears to be a real problem. Nobody I know can get a TWRP or CWM working for these MTK Teclast devices.
                  Randy
                  Read my BIO Here
                  Donate here

Comment

Thanks anyway Riley, I think that I'll probably have better luck with one click root solutions when the Jiayu S3 (MTK 6752) hits the market...and more MT8752 solutions such as the Cube T9 and T7 become more popular...
                    Last edited by flux1000; 01-03-2015, 03:17.

Comment

Ther is a ROOTED ROM for the Teclast T98 here

To whose who know how to develop ROMs, perhaps this can help Cube T9 users to get ROOT access...

Comment

Working TWRP for T98

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
                        Yes that appears to be a real problem. Nobody I know can get a TWRP or CWM working for these MTK Teclast devices.
                        Are you aware of working TWRP for Teclast T98? Maybe it will be helpfull for you.
                        PS. BTW, Very nice bio Randy, very inspiring. I have MT8392, Allwinner A33 and Rk3026 tablets so I'm thinking to start lerning and cooking myself .
                        Last edited by Vohukain; 03-19-2015, 16:14.

Comment

Thanks for the link to that TWRP. It will help many users!!!!

Randy
                          Read my BIO Here
                          Donate here

Comment

Yes it really works very well.

So Riley, what about a new Teclast T98 16GB ( C6R2 version) ROM based on the v1.09...?

MEGA provides free cloud storage with convenient and powerful always-on privacy. Claim your free 50GB now!

although an OTA update (very small one makes V1.10 the last version)...

I already haven't tried the one you did because there wasn't a working recovery, and besides v1.09 runs smoother than V1.08.

Thank you as always...

Comment

I'm leaving it up to you guys to point out firmware updates for me. So if there is a new one, I can easily put together a new ROM.

If anyone can capture the OTA update.zip file and provide me a link, I might be able to incorporate the files from it in a new ROM....but I really HATE dealing with OTA updates.
                              Randy
                              Read my BIO Here
                              Donate here

Comment

Working...
                              X