This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nasosal View Post

Have you tried 29 and 30 pins? What has happened?

Here are images of my PCB. Do we have the same PCB?

Drop box folder containing larger images:

Friend from pictures you can't see anything.
    Think so, are equal.
    Upload photos to IMGur.com and pick paste code forum here.

Ballz2k7, I don't know what is this UART, and I don't have a serial port to try.
    Thank you if you say how to do everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Busty290 View Post

Friend from pictures you can't see anything.
      Think so, are equal.
      Upload photos to IMGur.com and pick paste code forum here.

Ballz2k7, I don't know what is this UART, and I don't have a serial port to try.
      Thank you if you say how to do everything.

You can see the pictures in my dropbox folder here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1x58afh1q...NzHBjW-Ba?dl=0

Is it the MXIII-G 4K 2/16GB? have you opened the box to see the PCB?

Ballz2k7 There is no serial port on those devices. I have prolific USB cable, but where to connect. I suppose somehow they must redirect their console to some UART, but where?

Comment

Looking at the dropbox pictures, use the one of the full board, top view. Just behind the power jack there are 4 pads marked vcc, gnd, dp, dn. Im pretty certain you will find those are the serial data lines. Connect your data+(dp) and data-(dn) and gnd wires to the pins (probably better fitting a few pin headers so you can plug/unplug.) From here using a terminal program and settings 115200 baud, 8 stop bits, no parity you should see a log of the box starting up, from here it is at times easier to see what the processor is doing, or why its halting. This is how I managed to call the flash tool direct from the cpu and flash an img direct from the sdcard.

Comment

more info about UART can be found on the wiki, but for simplicity imagine it as a basic universal console. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univer...er/transmitter

Comment

Originally posted by Ballz2k7 View Post
            Looking at the dropbox pictures, use the one of the full board, top view. Just behind the power jack there are 4 pads marked vcc, gnd, dp, dn. Im pretty certain you will find those are the serial data lines. Connect your data+(dp) and data-(dn) and gnd wires to the pins (probably better fitting a few pin headers so you can plug/unplug.) From here using a terminal program and settings 115200 baud, 8 stop bits, no parity you should see a log of the box starting up, from here it is at times easier to see what the processor is doing, or why its halting. This is how I managed to call the flash tool direct from the cpu and flash an img direct from the sdcard.

Found the Tx/Rx/GND on my PCB but I am not sure if I want to solder pin heads on the board. The seller agreed it is a DOA and asked me to send it back for exchange.
            But tried with a prolific cable and some hand made cables , I saw data coming. If I could find a way to read the serial without soldering

By the way did you managed to save your device with a good firmware?

Comment

I didn't understand anything yet.
              Ballz2k7, you are kind enough to post a step by step guide?
              Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Busty290 View Post

I didn't understand anything yet.
                Ballz2k7, you are kind enough to post a step by step guide?
                Thank you

We are talking about connecting the PC to the serial transmition of the PCB Rx/Tx and GND via a prolific USB to serial cable or even a serial cable if your PC has serial. That way you get the logs of the device. Usually those devices transmit all logs to serial so that you can debug the device upon getting more visual data to secondary device such as HDMI.

In order to do that you need to open the box, solder cables to the PCBs connectors and connect them to your PC via a cable.

Comment

more info about UART can be found on the wiki, but for simplicity imagine it as a basic universal console. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univer...er/transmitter

Do you think a press fit header will do the job. I might go tomorrow to an electric store and get a raw to use.

Comment

Originally posted by nasosal View Post

We are talking about connecting the PC to the serial transmition of the PCB Rx/Tx and GND via a prolific USB to serial cable or even a serial cable if your PC has serial. That way you get the logs of the device. Usually those devices transmit all logs to serial so that you can debug the device upon getting more visual data to secondary device such as HDMI..
                    This I understand, but I don't know which cables or adapters to use, and what software to use.
                    My PC does not have a serial port.

In order to do that you need to open the box, solder cables to the PCBs connectors and connect them to your PC via a cable
                    Post an example? Thank you

Comment

Prolific PL2303 USB UART Cable is what I use, its actually quite old. There are newer items available. Search **** in your country for USB UART. You will find like a usb dongle and some wires that push on the header pins, items are very cheap.
                      As for software I used Hyperterminal, on windows 8+ its not included and you need to use a 3rd party program called "Hyperterminal", its fine to use the trial period, it works perfectly. Im pretty sure you can use putty for this but I didnt try.
                      Connect the Rx, Tx and GND pins from your adaptor to the corresponding pins on the board of the mbox.
                      Setup a new connection in hyperterminal(after installing your usb > uart adaptor), connect to the serial port (COMxx) that got installed with your adaptor. Use 115200 Baud, 8 Data Bits, No Parity, 1 Stop Bits.
                      Power on your mbox, go straight to the pc and click connect, you should see text appearing in your window containing the bootup log. If it hangs try pressing CTRL-C to interupt the bootup over serial. Then maybe post back the part of the log where it dies.

Comment

once your in the UART serial console, if you have a recovery.img on a memory card along with the ini file its pretty simple, just issue the command "sdc_burn aml_sdc_burn.ini" and it will start to flash the image

Comment

Prolific PL2303 USB UART Cable is what I use, its actually quite old. There are newer items available. Search **** in your country for USB UART. You will find like a usb dongle and some wires that push on the header pins, items are very cheap.
                          Hi Ballz2k7.

This is good?
                          http://www.****.it/itm/121894857585?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Connect the Rx, Tx and GND pins from your adaptor to the corresponding pins on the board of the mbox.
                          Setup a new connection in hyperterminal(after installing your usb > uart adaptor), connect to the serial port (COMxx) that got installed with your adaptor. Use 115200 Baud, 8 Data Bits, No Parity, 1 Stop Bits.
                          Power on your mbox, go straight to the pc and click connect, you should see text appearing in your window containing the bootup log. If it hangs try pressing CTRL-C to interupt the bootup over serial. Then maybe post back the part of the log where it dies.

I found this guide, think fine equal to?

Thank you.

Comment

Yes the **** item looks fine.

And yes, that guide is exactly right, apart from a different box/pcb, but all UART/Serial consoles are the same.

Comment

Hi Ballz2k7!
                              These are the pins to be connected by USB to TTL adapter board PCB
                              It will arrive?
                              Thank you

host image

Comment

Who can help me with stock firmware for M8S+ ?
                                http://www.****.com/itm/201536557910...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                                I brick my box ...

Comment

Working...
                                X