Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
    Please validate my assumptions:
    You started with a stock Next7HD8G aka NX007HD8G.

You downloaded the modified recovery, stock ROM and root package for the Next7P12-8G.

You attempted to boot the modified recovery for the Next7P12-8G, but it failed to boot to recovery. (it should fail to boot the modified recovery, the modified recovery should not be compatible with a Next7HD8G)

After which, your tablet would not boot normally? It did boot to stock recovery once, but after doing a wipe data / factory reset it won't power on at all?

Have I missed anything? Did you try anything else between those steps? Was there anything else that you tried to flash?

ShaunMT

it was stock. but i had rooted it already with the cydia impactor. now when i plug the tablet into the computer it looks for the drivers for m6-chip

Comment

Originally posted by jeremey989 View Post
      it was stock. but i had rooted it already with the cydia impactor. now when i plug the tablet into the computer it looks for the drivers for m6-chip
      It should not be possible to brick a tablet unless you've flashed an incompatible update or used some sort of USB flashing tool to erase the NAND.

Is your tablet still not powering on at all? You can't boot normally or boot to stock recovery, even with the power cord plugged in?
      Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

It should not be possible to brick a tablet unless you've flashed an incompatible update or used some sort of USB flashing tool to erase the NAND.

Is your tablet still not powering on at all? You can't boot normally or boot to stock recovery, even with the power cord plugged in?
        still won't power up. i really messed up somewhere.

Comment

still won't power up. i really messed up somewhere.

I have noticed with these Nextbbook they can get stuck in fel mode. My 8HD actually goes straight to it when it shuts down using the power off in the OS. Once it does this it is kind of hard to get out.

Try this.

1. Put the tablet on the charger for about an hour, just to make sure it has juice.
          2. Connect the tablet to the computer via usb. Don't press any buttons on the tablet just listen for the connect sound on the PC. Check the device manager to see if anything popped up.
          3. If no noise keep the tablet connected to the PC, press and hold the power button for a good 60 seconds, release and do it again. Listen for the connect sound, check the device manager for a new device.
          4. If still no device try unplugging the USB. Press and hold the power button and insert the USB, look for a device to pop up M3 in the device manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabid1 View Post
            I have noticed with these Nextbbook they can get stuck in fel mode. My 8HD actually goes straight to it when it shuts down using the power off in the OS. Once it does this it is kind of hard to get out.

Try this.

1. Put the tablet on the charger for about an hour, just to make sure it has juice.
            2. Connect the tablet to the computer via usb. Don't press any buttons on the tablet just listen for the connect sound on the PC. Check the device manager to see if anything popped up.
            3. If no noise keep the tablet connected to the PC, press and hold the power button for a good 60 seconds, release and do it again. Listen for the connect sound, check the device manager for a new device.
            4. If still no device try unplugging the USB. Press and hold the power button and insert the USB, look for a device to pop up M3 in the device manager.
            it comes up as M6-CHIP

Comment

Try this.

Thanks for sharing some new ideas! Your description sounds kind of how mine acts sometimes after I try to boot a test recovery that fails.
              Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

it comes up as M6-CHIP
                Put your external SD card back in, with the modified recovery, and see if you can still boot recovery from SD card. If you can, at least we will have an easy way to fix it once we get the right ROM. If we can't get it boot to recovery, you'll have to learn how to either use the AML flash tool to fix it or create a rescue SD card. I don't currently know how to do either. The other alternative is to return/exchange the tablet.

ShaunMT
                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

it comes up as M6-CHIP

Awesome it means you are not hard bricked. Before you try anything else, press and hold power until the device disappears. That way you know you are off.

Thanks for sharing some new ideas! Your description sounds kind of how mine acts sometimes after I try to boot a test recovery that fails.
                  I think we discussed it a little on PM about it wanting to boot into flash (fel) mode. I thought it might be your or my rom or the recovery or some combination, but it looks like it is just a design flaw in the tablet themselves.

If we can't get somebody to provide a ROM dump by next week maybe, I can pick one up from Walmart just to dump.

Comment

Awesome it means you are not hard bricked. Before you try anything else, press and hold power until the device disappears. That way you know you are off.

I think we discussed it a little on PM about it wanting to boot into flash (fel) mode. I thought it might be your or my rom or the recovery or some combination, but it looks like it is just a design flaw in the tablet themselves.

If we can't get somebody to provide a ROM dump by next week maybe, I can pick one up from Walmart just to dump.
                    I thought about doing the same, but I don't have the extra cash for another toy right now. I also thought about picking one up, dumping it and returning it, but I'm planning to exchange my Next8HD8G and I think they limit returns/exchanges these days.

ShaunMT
                    Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

I thought about doing the same, but I don't have the extra cash for another toy right now. I also thought about picking one up, dumping it and returning it, but I'm planning to exchange my Next8HD8G and I think they limit returns/exchanges these days.

ShaunMT
                      QVC or ShopNBC used to have it. I might go that way too.

Comment

thanks guys. i will download the aml tool and read up on how to use it

Comment

the flash tool looks like it flashes an upgrade image file. but does that mean it flashes the recovery also? because its not booting into recovery with the modded on on my external sd

Comment

the flash tool looks like it flashes an upgrade image file. but does that mean it flashes the recovery also? because its not booting into recovery with the modded on on my external sd
                            I am under the impression that it can flash individual partitions or everything, but I don't know what format the files need to be in. It should also be able to format and partition the NAND if necessary, but again I don't know how to configure or use it.

You're tablet is not currently booting anything, correct? No system, no stock recovery, no SD card recovery, nothing?

Does ADB work? does the backlight even come on?

ShaunMT
                            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

I think there are two versions of the tool. One only does update images and one does individual partitions in Linux, but not sure.

Comment

I am under the impression that it can flash individual partitions or everything, but I don't know what format the files need to be in. It should also be able to format and partition the NAND if necessary, but again I don't know how to configure or use it.

You're tablet is not currently booting anything, correct? No system, no stock recovery, no SD card recovery, nothing?

Does ADB work? does the backlight even come on?

ShaunMT
                                the backlight doesn't come on.

Comment

Working...
                                X