S7 reinstall android/rom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all I've seen a wide selection of ROMs/guides/firmware updates/etc for other polaroid tablets but when it comes to the S7 there is nothing. Not even southerntelcom's website has any updates or even S7 listed. Does anyone know if the S7 is just a rebrand of something else maybe? android shows the model as S7 but other than that I don't know how to figure out if its insides are the same as another model.

I want to flash the ROM/reinstall android OS because the touchscreen response is mediocre(i know this might not fix it but this problem is secondary) and mainly because I can't get the wi-fi to enable, it just says "enabling wi-fi" when I try to turn it on. I tried doing the reinstall/recovery/delete all option from within androids settings but that always just locks up.

If anyone knows a good guide to how to go about reinstalling android on here or a possible fix (something through a root explorer i'd guess? dunno...) let me know your best guess, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

I wish I could help you, but I can at least empathize with you, there is nothing about my s8 too. I hope someone can help you and more becomes known about our s7/8 tablets.

Good luck.
    Polaroid S8,

Comment

The only reason the other Polaroid tablets have ROMs are because I own one (or in the case of the modified stocks I was able to easily modify the image for one). Unfortunately, this led to me being up to my eyeballs in maintaining ROMs (currently I'm trying to update Elektricity ROM for the PMID701i 13 and it's fighting me horribly, ha ha!). In the case of your specific tablet, I don't own one, nor do I even have something from Southern Telecom to work with (same with the S8). Couple that with the fact that Polaroid seems content to slutting it's name on just about anything these days and we come to your situation....
      https://public.bay.livefilestore.com...ion.png?psid=1

Comment

Originally posted by tunafish View Post

I want to flash the ROM/reinstall android OS because the touchscreen response is mediocre(i know this might not fix it but this problem is secondary) and mainly because I can't get the wi-fi to enable, it just says "enabling wi-fi" when I try to turn it on. I tried doing the reinstall/recovery/delete all option from within androids settings but that always just locks up.
        BTW, This post might help with the wi-fi issue.

Comment

S7 Firmware

Hi all I've seen a wide selection of ROMs/guides/firmware updates/etc for other polaroid tablets but when it comes to the S7 there is nothing. Not even southerntelcom's website has any updates or even S7 listed. Does anyone know if the S7 is just a rebrand of something else maybe? android shows the model as S7 but other than that I don't know how to figure out if its insides are the same as another model.

If anyone knows a good guide to how to go about reinstalling android on here or a possible fix (something through a root explorer i'd guess? dunno...) let me know your best guess, any help would be greatly appreciated.
          Thanks
          Polaroid has at least two models of the S7. One model is made by Gajah International - product #MD7007C running Android 4.1.1. I located the tablet maker using the FCC #UFK MD7007C0 on the back of the tablet.

I no longer have the other Polaroid model S7 running Android 4.2 as it was returned for warranty service.

Do you have the model running Android 4.2; and if so, would you kindly provide the FCC#.

I was able to root both tablets. However, you need to alter the generic Google USB driver adding the S7 hardware ID information to android_winusb.inf under the following headings:

For the model running 4.1, the following lines allow the driver to recognize the tablet:

[Google.NTx86]

;S7
          %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2207&PID_0010
          %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2207&PID_0010&REV_0222&MI_01

[Google.NTamd64]

;S7
          %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2207&PID_0010
          %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2207&PID_0010&REV_0222&MI_01

I no longer have the ID information for the 4.2 tablet.

If you have used ADB on your windows system, you will also need to alter the file "adb_usb.ini" to include the following line:

0x2207

Just use the your file search window and it will pull the file up.

Then, ADB will recognize the tablet. Also, still waiting on images from Southern Telecom.

- Jim

Comment

Polaroid S7 android 4.2.2 FCC ID:RBD-V7A20 BN01.01.003.023.01

Comment

S7 Firmware

Originally posted by jup68 View Post
              Polaroid S7 android 4.2.2 FCC ID:RBD-V7A20 BN01.01.003.023.01
              The S7 with FCC# RBD-V7A20 is manufactured by Shenzhen Jingwah Information Technology Company, Ltd.

The following is from the FCC site:

"Shenzhen Jingwah Information Technology Co., Ltd. Are applying for FCC DOC for Tablet PC with model number: EM7, A7, S7, V7."

Comment

S7 Rom Dump

Originally posted by jimwallcft View Post
                The S7 with FCC# RBD-V7A20 is manufactured by Shenzhen Jingwah Information Technology Company, Ltd.

The following is from the FCC site:

"Shenzhen Jingwah Information Technology Co., Ltd. Are applying for FCC DOC for Tablet PC with model number: EM7, A7, S7, V7."
                Thanks to Shawnmt's post yesterday, I was able to obtain the img files from the replacement S7 tablet running 4.1.1. Nothing has been done to the unit other than turn it on and download them to the sdcard.

The following is reported by ADB:

Click image for larger version

Name:	S7 Image Files.png
Views:	1
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	431030

I am a noob and perhaps someone who can cook the image can let me know what files I need to upload and where. I have successfully rooted another S7 tablet of the same version. However, I need to unlock the bootloader to access recovery mode. On the 4.2 S7 version, it provided access to recovery mode, but not on this 4.1 version.

Comment

Southern Telecom S7 Image w/ Playstore

Southern Telecom has recently posted an updated rom with Google Playstore for the 4.2 version of the S7 using their scaled down version of PhoenixSuit software.

Thanks

Comment

Ooh. I like how they say 'can't'-looks like a challenge to me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How do you like this tablet? The S8 is on super double secret sale at Kohls ($40 rebate)...
                      Polaroid S8
                      Blackberry Torch
                      Kindle Fire HD Gen 2 - Wifes
                      Nokia 520 Windows 8 - Wifes
                      (3) Nextbook 7s - Slooooooow - (Finless Bob ROM) - used for kids e-readers
                      (2) Samsung Exhibits - kids
                      Samsung Blaze, Kindle Fire, (2) PMID701c (Elektrik ROM) - all RIP
                      ...some laptops, some PC's and some routers / switches

Comment

Lost root

Originally posted by jimwallcft View Post
                        Southern Telecom has recently posted an updated rom with Google Playstore for the 4.2 version of the S7 using their scaled down version of PhoenixSuit software.

http://southerntelecom.com/s7/index.html
                        Lost root when I did this update. The update is a big improvement, but you will lose root. So... can anybody steer, actually, GUIDE me, in the process of rooting this device? I have rooted and romd several phones, mostly Samsung, so I'm not a total Noob, but by no means an expert.
                        Model # A/S7
                        SOC Chip: Super dual core A20
                        Android: 4.2.2
                        Kernal: 1.0.0
                        Build: AS7-20130827
                        FCC ID: RBD-V7A20
                        BN01.003.023.01

Comment

Originally posted by jsta6 View Post
                          How do you like this tablet? The S8 is on super double secret sale at Kohls ($40 rebate)...
                          Just got 2 s7 @ Toys R Us for $49.99 ea. The S8 is on sale right now for $59.99. Pretty good tablets for the price, but I made the mistake of upgrading and lost root. They came stock rooted believe it or not. Had Play store and everything on it and then found the update. Can't believe they would sell them rooted with 4.2 and then update them to 4.2.2 without root. The update is a big improvement over the original rom though.

Comment

so, 4.2 is rooted, has google play, but is boggy?

and 4.2.2 is not rooted, has google play, and is not boggy?
                            Polaroid S8
                            Blackberry Torch
                            Kindle Fire HD Gen 2 - Wifes
                            Nokia 520 Windows 8 - Wifes
                            (3) Nextbook 7s - Slooooooow - (Finless Bob ROM) - used for kids e-readers
                            (2) Samsung Exhibits - kids
                            Samsung Blaze, Kindle Fire, (2) PMID701c (Elektrik ROM) - all RIP
                            ...some laptops, some PC's and some routers / switches

Comment

Google certification for play services requires unroot. A rooted tablet you have to install play yourself. A play certified tablet you have to root yourself. Silly, isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                              X