S7 reinstall android/rom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Langdon View Post
    What did you use to unpack the file? I'm planning on working on this.
    I used Phoenix tools to unpack...
    https://public.bay.livefilestore.com...ion.png?psid=1

Comment

I'm getting the same problem unpacking AS7_0827_GMS-20130909.img. Have you made any progress with this yet? I can get the files extracted but at this point I don't really want to flash my device... I've made a lot of changes to it and don't want to lose everything... especially if I brick it! I also don't know if the PhoenixSuit application can flash the device if it is bricked..

I'll keep poking around in the meantime.

Originally posted by elektrik View Post
      I used Phoenix tools to unpack...

Comment

I'm getting the same problem unpacking AS7_0827_GMS-20130909.img. Have you made any progress with this yet? I can get the files extracted but at this point I don't really want to flash my device... I've made a lot of changes to it and don't want to lose everything... especially if I brick it! I also don't know if the PhoenixSuit application can flash the device if it is bricked..

I'll keep poking around in the meantime.
        If the Polaroid S7 is like any of the older Polaroids (and indeed any of the Allwinner tablets), it should be pretty unbrickable, as it has a built-in flash mode....I'm assuming you flash it by some sort of key combo (something like hold down the home button and volume up, while pressing power 3 times), and if that's the case even if you flash the ROM incorrectly you can get it back in flash mode fairly easily.

Comment

Sounds good. I'll update by backup script to save all of my changes and get the backups off my device then I'll be a little more bold with it. I'll post anything good if I make some progress.

If the Polaroid S7 is like any of the older Polaroids (and indeed any of the Allwinner tablets), it should be pretty unbrickable, as it has a built-in flash mode....I'm assuming you flash it by some sort of key combo (something like hold down the home button and volume up, while pressing power 3 times), and if that's the case even if you flash the ROM incorrectly you can get it back in flash mode fairly easily.

Comment

So, just some words of wisdom. When you start working with images, start small-in other words, I'd start simple: Unpack the image, then repack and then flash to see if you have the process down, THEN you can start making small incremental changes...helps you from banging your head against the wall....

Sounds good. I'll update by backup script to save all of my changes and get the backups off my device then I'll be a little more bold with it. I'll post anything good if I make some progress.

Comment

Re: S7 reinstall android/rom?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1cj8l7oj1d...fied_stock.img

Ok, I tried to add root to this....Didn't unpack correctly, which concerns me so I would like someone to test this please.
              Tried to flash this with Phoenix, but it failed at 23%.. Does anyone know how to root the s7?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Comment

That all went well. I was able to unpack the IMG, repack it, and flash it back to the device. I'm working on poking around the unpacked files now. Any words of advice?

So, just some words of wisdom. When you start working with images, start small-in other words, I'd start simple: Unpack the image, then repack and then flash to see if you have the process down, THEN you can start making small incremental changes...helps you from banging your head against the wall....

Comment

That all went well. I was able to unpack the IMG, repack it, and flash it back to the device. I'm working on poking around the unpacked files now. Any words of advice?
                  Ya, the first thing I'd work on is adding SU to the image...should be fairly easy/straightforward, there's lots of info how to do it....just curious though-when I used Phoenix tools to unpack, I had to use the /skip option cause I got an error unpacking...curious to know how you successfully unpacked...

Comment

I got the same issue when unpacking. It says that it fails without /skip because of the file size being something different than what it should be. However, when checking it the expected size is the same size as it is down to the byte so there shouldn't be a problem. I was able to repack it after unpacking without any trouble and I've flashed my device with the repacked IMG.

At this point I could use some guidance though... I assume that I can modify the .fex.iso files to change what will be on the device after flashing.. but I don't know how to get into the files. I was able to open the bootloader.fex.iso in Windows without any trouble but when I tried to peer into the other like boot.fex.iso and system.fex.iso I was not able to open them. I thought they might be disk image files so I tried mounting them as loop devices in Linux but without any success. How do you go about modifying these files? Thanks in advance.

Ya, the first thing I'd work on is adding SU to the image...should be fairly easy/straightforward, there's lots of info how to do it....just curious though-when I used Phoenix tools to unpack, I had to use the /skip option cause I got an error unpacking...curious to know how you successfully unpacked...

Comment

NEED HELP

A friend of mine has one of these tablets and wanted it rooted, so I tried Z4ROOT and I think I fragged out his wireless. I tried to use the PhoenixSuite from their website to reflash it back to stock but is says no device connected. So, I was wondering if anybody has the stock img file I might be able to fix the wifi issue and give it back to him and tell him I couldn't do it. I usually use Cyanogen mods for rooting. Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS

Comment

1. Turn off the tablet (hold power for 10 seconds).
                        2. Hold down any button except for power.
                        3. While holding the button plug in the USB cable.

I believe it will start flashing at that point.. I don't have it software in front of me at the moment.. It should actually prompt you with the instructions when you go through these steps. The instruction window might stay in front of the flashing console.. it's not a very well built program but you can move the instructions over to see the flashing. It should only take a few minutes to flash and then you'll be good to go.

Originally posted by lonsterc68 View Post
                        A friend of mine has one of these tablets and wanted it rooted, so I tried Z4ROOT and I think I fragged out his wireless. I tried to use the PhoenixSuite from their website to reflash it back to stock but is says no device connected. So, I was wondering if anybody has the stock img file I might be able to fix the wifi issue and give it back to him and tell him I couldn't do it. I usually use Cyanogen mods for rooting. Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS

Comment

wifi still no work

HI! your upgrade method worked great, but the wifi still doesn't work. I was wondering --the flashing tool is an upgrade tool maybe I need the original firmware before the upgrade to fix my problem and wanted your thoughts on this or maybe someone on here has the original img file. THANKS for fast reply.

Comment

Your using the tool right from Southern Telecom, right? I'd provide a link but I can't access the page at the moment for some reason. As for the wireless, I have a similar issue.. maybe. I can get on the wireless everywhere I've tried except for one network at my office. I've even gone so far as to look at the wpa_supplicant file on both my tablet and my phone (which connects fine) to make sure they are identical but no matter what I do I can't get it to connect. I don't know what it is yet. If I figure it out I'll let you know. In the meantime I'm going to try and completely mod the stock ROM to something I like a bit more. If I ever figure out how to modify the fex filed I'll be set.

Originally posted by lonsterc68 View Post
                            HI! your upgrade method worked great, but the wifi still doesn't work. I was wondering --the flashing tool is an upgrade tool maybe I need the original firmware before the upgrade to fix my problem and wanted your thoughts on this or maybe someone on here has the original img file. THANKS for fast reply.

Comment

Southern Telecom S7 Update

The update for the Polaroid S7 comes from it's manufacturer, Southern Telecom. The link to the updating tool with the IMG file is here: http://southerntelecom.com/s7/. It talks about getting Google Play on your tablet, etc. but it is a full image for those who are not sure. It works perfectly fine to bring your device back to factory settings.

The IMG file doesn't unpack correctly when trying to get at it's files... you have to use the /skip option to skip error checking when using the imgRePacker tools which can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...44&postcount=1. The image file is located in the install folder from the PhoenixSuit update from Southern Telecom (C:\Program Files (x86)\AllWinnerTech\PhoenixSuit). I extracted the IMG file using the imgRePacker tools and then repacked it from the folder it extracts to and I was able to successfully flash my device when I did that. Now I just have to figure out how to modify the files that get extracted so I can make a working rooted ROM.

Comment

WIFI HELP

Your using the tool right from Southern Telecom, right? I'd provide a link but I can't access the page at the moment for some reason. As for the wireless, I have a similar issue.. maybe. I can get on the wireless everywhere I've tried except for one network at my office. I've even gone so far as to look at the wpa_supplicant file on both my tablet and my phone (which connects fine) to make sure they are identical but no matter what I do I can't get it to connect. I don't know what it is yet. If I figure it out I'll let you know. In the meantime I'm going to try and completely mod the stock ROM to something I like a bit more. If I ever figure out how to modify the fex filed I'll be set.
                                I think I read somewhere on another post that these tablets have issues connecting with WEP encryption. My home is WEP, but I went to Culvers to check the WIFI and still a no go and theirs is an open network. Still totally confused. I'm sorry I can't help much with your rooting, but I appreciate your replies. THANKS.

Comment

Working...
                                X