No announcement yet.

UGOOS AM6 S922X TV Box Android 9.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update on mine regarding the AM6 remote - so I got the remote.conf from the linked repository and installed in the .config folder in the CE drive
    Surprised to see no difference, still did not work!
    Then I booted to Android - shocker, not working there either!!!
    Oooops - sudden realization this is an IR Remote & my box actually sits vertically on the face with the IR detector on the shelf!!!!!
    Re-oriented my box et volia.
    Rebooted to CE and it works there too now (note I can't say at this point it would definitely not have worked without adding the remote.conf file, but I suspect it wouldn't have, given yours doesn't work)

So next question - how did you teach your Bose in Android - did you have to go through a setup common with most Universal IR, where you 'teach' it using the Device's own remote?
    If so, then your remote should already know how to mimic the AM6 remote and should also work once you get the remote.conf for the AM6 installed in CoreELEC

Couple of tools you will need for working with files in CE
    First is SSH - use something like Putty
    Here are some basic commands - https://www.puttygen.com/putty-commands

To use that you would have had to enable SSH in the CoreELEC options - even if you didn't at original configuration set-up, you can go back and do it at any time (CoreELEC setup will be in the Programs Sections) & at that time you can assign your own password if you choose (note the user name is root)

Another really useful tool is SFTP - https://www.nsoftware.com/sftp/drive/download.aspx

That will allow you to map your drive so you can see it in Explorer - just get the IP address from the running CE and put that in the setup with the same user & password as the SSH options you established Then you can just drag & drop or copy and paste like you would otherwise in Windows Explorer

So get the remote.conf file for the Ugoos AM6 from that Repository per the link on CE forum and put it in the .config folder

From the link, navigate to Amlogic > U > Ugoos > Ugoos AM6 Plus and download the zip file from that folder
    Then unzip it to get the remote.conf file

Click image for larger version  Name:	SFTP.png Views:	0 Size:	107.3 KB ID:	810316

Click image for larger version  Name:	SFTP_3.png Views:	0 Size:	43.8 KB ID:	810317

Click image for larger version  Name:	SFTP_2.png Views:	0 Size:	27.8 KB ID:	810318
    Last edited by DEcosse; 07-16-2020, 01:39.

Comment

Originally posted by DEcosse View Post
      Corelec version is red - just to add a bit of originality - otherwise very similar
      Strangely, although the Confluence skin was not available in the CoreElec add-ons, I found it in my add-ons from the backup and just had to enable it. I know it's old but it is simple and I like the way it displays info prior to selecting Play.

Also - my AM6 remote does not work either - I had never tried it before.
      A fix for that was available in their repository. I never use the standard remote.

Looks like you already got direction on your remote - hopefully that has the correct solution for your particular one.
      No, my Bose remote works by radio rather than IR or Bluetooth so there's nothing available for it. However, it works perfectly when booted into Android so my guess is that it may be possible to copy the conf file over from Android to CoreElec. I'm waiting for relkai to confirm that.

the other big question - does sound remain alive now? or too early to tell?
      Yes, too early. I ran a single TV episode last night but kept having to leave the room so I can't be 100% certain that all went as it should. The real test is to watch a full movie. As soon as I know, I will update you but as you use CoreElec too and you haven't complained of audio drop-out, I expect the result to be positive.

I note on the CoreElec forum, there are many complaints about the latest stable version 9.2.3, although the majority date to last month. Will fixes have been implemented since or would you advise me to update to the latest nightly version?

Finally, you asked what rev my Android firmware was. It's 0.3.3. I know there is a manual update to 0.3.5.1 available. Should I install that or wait for the next OTA release?

Comment

Our posts crossed again. Sorry about that.

If I understand correctly, I can't just copy and paste the original conf file from Android to an external drive and then boot into CE to copy/paste it back into the relevant folder? And I can't do any of the above on site because the box needs to be connected to my PC? It's all very complicated for a 64 year old simpleton like myself.

Comment

I'm not following the part about Bose remote works by Radio - but there would have to be a dongle of some kind (i.e. a receiver) if it works with Android?
          A radio requires a transmitter and a receiver - there absolutely no way that a receiver is already built in to the Android system so you either have to connect a receiver (a USB device) or more likely it is working in IR.
          Are you sure it is not working in RF for your primary Bose device but in IR for your other components? I looked up the manual for your device and see that there is an IR transmitter cable that comes with it. i.e. the Remote connects to your Bose Controller by RF, but then sends out 'repeater' IR signals to the other devices it controls.
          Are you saying you simply started using it and it worked without having to do anything at all?
          Or did you have to do a setup on your Bose Controller including perhaps a 'learn' or 'teach' step?

Lots of misunderstandings in your last post
          The remote.conf file for the AM6 OEM remote comes from the repository as linked in the response on the CE forum and also directly provided by me above. I gave you specific navigation through the link to where that file is located in their repository.
          Then no, the box does not need to be physically connected - you just map it like a network drive on your Windows PC using STFP Program through your local network - I thought I had explained that quite well with pictures too on how to do that. Then you will see the complete CE drive architecture as simply another drive on your Windows machine.
          OR you can connect from your Windows machine, also through your local network, by SSH using a command prompt window program like Putty - STFP is much easier to use.
          Either way you need to enable SSH in the CoreELEC setup so you can connect to it over your local network. And get its IP address from the system info summary (or the CoreELEC Setup Page in programs)

And what I was suggesting is that IF it is working with IR AND you have already mimicked the Android IR codes for it in Android, then simply getting the AM6 Remote.conf file installed in CoreELEC would not only enable the OEM AM6 remote, but also Bose remote (assuming it is actually really communicating via IR)

p.s. I'm a year older than you
          Last edited by DEcosse; 07-16-2020, 15:10.

Comment

Yes it is RF which I thought meant Radio Frequency. Obviously I was wrong and I did have to go through a learning process with the AM6's remote.

There's nothing wrong with your explanation and I'm going to try the STFP method but I have too much work at the moment so I probably won't be able to get around to it until Saturday. In the meantime, I have a WeChip v2 air mouse which works fine with CoreElec.

So, if you're older than me then you must have worked in IT or it has been a hobby of yours. I consider myself to be an intermediate having run various online businesses since 1998 but I don't have a smartphone and have limited experience with an Android tablet which is why I'm struggling with all this stuff. Thank you so much for not getting upset with me and consistently assisting me to move forward.

Comment

Sorry to be a nuisance DEcosse but can you explain to me why it is not possible to copy the remote.conf file from an external drive using Kodi's file manager please? I ask because it has left and right panes similar to Total Commander (or xPlorer 2 which I use on my PC).

Click image for larger version

Name:	copy-paste.png
Views:	303
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	810373
              Attached Files

Comment

Nothing wrong with the radio or rf terminology and yes, that is how it communicates with your Bose Master system.
                But fundanentally for a radio communication to work, it needs both a transmitter and a receiver - the transmitter is the remote but there is no corresponding radio receiver in the AM6 box ; but the AM6 does have an IR receiver which is what the oem am6 remote uses; what you did when on Android was to teach your Bose remote to mimic the same IR protocol as the oem am6.
                so in essence the android simply 'thinks' its getting commands from the am6 remote to its IR (optical) receiver. The Bose controller is receiving the signals by RF from the bose remote then retransmitting in IR - optical, light (from the base manual there is an IR repeater but it is entirely possible that your bose remote actually ALSO sends IR directly from it.
                (if you do not have the IR repeater cable connected then the remote itself is almost certainly generating IR signals directly)

So - first step in getting it going in CE is to first get the AM6 remote to work - that means installing that remote.conf file with the process described.
                That should now give you a functioning AM6 remote.
                Here's the really good part - you have already taught your Bose to transmit signals that mimic the AM6 remote so you shouldn't have to do any new configuration- the Bose remote should work just as it does in Android i.e. Just as it did in Android, your CE will simply 'think it's seeing the AM6 remote

Comment

The odd thing about the IR signals is that the AM6 and Bose amp are built-in to a piece of furniture which is in a separate room behind the home cinema. Theoretically, I would need to stand up and face the back of the room so that the remote fires its signal through the window at the AM6 or Bose amp. I have to do that with the default remote but I have never had to do it with the Bose remote. The only thing I can think of is that the remote is communicating by RF with the Bose amp which in turn sends the signal to the AM6 and as that sits on top of the amp, the signal gets picked up with ease. Feasible?

Comment

Originally posted by QT-Pro View Post
                    ... The only thing I can think of is that the remote is communicating by RF with the Bose amp which in turn sends the signal to the AM6
                    It (the amp) is very possibly using the IR repeater which I expect is located in the cabinet as it will be plugged into the amp
                    But then again - you stated your AM6 remote apparently works in Android, so IT must have had some line of sight to the box (unless you had to maneuver yourself or the remote as you described to get THAT to work) - *edit - sorry you did say you did have to do that with OEM remote
                    Simple test - boot it in Android - stick a piece of tape over the IR sensor (or position box so that it is directly against a solid opaque surface - like in my case, the box was sitting on shelf on that face) - or even for quick test, just put your thumb over it - then try your Bose remote ...........
                    Last edited by DEcosse; 07-16-2020, 21:14.

Comment

It (the amp) is very possibly using the IR repeater which I expect is located in the cabinet as it will be plugged into the amp
                      I have not used it (still in the box), because I never found the need for it.

The reason I say the Bose remote works on RF is because you can use it in any room of the home. I believe it has a range of up to 30 or 40 meters. It doesn't need to see the equipment it is controlling but the amp does.

Theoretically, a single Bose Lifestyle system can be used to control Hi-Fi and Video equipment throughout the home however, in our case we have separate Bose systems in the projection room (home cinema) and the master bedroom. Both come with the same programmable remote although we only use one of them. It knows the difference between the 2 systems because you just add equipment via its wizard driven Unisys self-programming option. Then all you need to do is press the source button and select the item you wish to control. If we wanted to control equipment that was not in sight of the amp, it would need to be wired to it.

Edit:
                      Something else I forgot to mention. Having to teach the Bose remote the Ugoos commands via IR was an emergency option. Normally, Bose have an online database which the Unisys setup option connects to and downloads the configuration for remotes of all brands. Their database is updated frequently but, as luck would have it, when I bought my AM6, Ugoos were not to be found in their database. When that happens your only option is to go through the IR teaching sequence. Unlike other learning remotes where you have to place one remote in front of the other, with the Bose system you just point the remote to be learned at the amp.

What I did find fascinating was that the Unisys wizard tells you which buttons to press for teaching however, after only 5 buttons it claimed it was complete and now had full control of the TV box. It said to test everything to make sure there were no missing functions. I thought "There's no way it could know them all after only 5 buttons being learned!" I was wrong (as usual). I suppose some functions must be common to all remotes. Either that or it really is a clever sod!
                      Last edited by QT-Pro; 07-17-2020, 08:48.

Comment

Indisputable facts so far:
                        The AM6 Remote to AM6 communication is IR
                        The AM6 Remote has no RF Transmitter
                        The Bose host 'learned' the AM6 Remote Commands - therefor the Bose Host has an IR Receiver
                        The Bose Remote to BOSE Host is RF
                        The AM6 Box has NO RF Detector/Receiver - therefor cannot receive RF signals.

That all, for me, concludes that the Bose Host puts out IR waves which are received by the AM6. Whether they originate directly from the remote or from the main host box is unimportant - and the repeater cable was a red herring and only used for 'hard to reach' components, and is moot since you are not using it.

But for completeness, I researched it further
                        See this info from Bose - https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/a...r-emitter.html

Just the very opening paragraph is all you have to read as it contains the pertinent information regarding the point of conjecture
                        (the point of this link is not to explain beyond that first paragraph as to how/what the emitters do, just to fundamentally validate what I have been telling you in how the Bose Host communicates with other devices)

Your control console houses transmitters on its front panel that work with your BoseĀ® system remote to control other audio/video devices connected to your system. If the control console does not have a direct line of sight to these devices, you will need to use the IR emitters included with your system
                        If you want to debate that it only says it houses 'transmitters' and does not define what type they are, the second sentence goes on to say 'IF it does not have line of sight (etc)' - which conclusively affirms that the 'transmitters' on the front panel are IR

If still in doubt, put masking tape over the IR receiver of the AM6 and try to control Android with your Bose Remote - it's not going work.

Again, the good news is that having already taught your Bose System to use the RF remote to control the Android system when you add the remote.conf file to CE it will work there too (without any further re-teaching)

Comment

I wasn't disputing anything you said DEcosse. I agree 100% that the Bose host is sending the IR signal to the AM6.

Tried copying the remote.conf file over but failed. Even though it's a 32 Gb drive (29 Gb of unallocated available), SFTP reports there's no space available.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SFTP.png
Views:	251
Size:	454.3 KB
ID:	810420
                          Attached Files

Comment

OK - bear with me ......
                            That is exactly how I did it yesterday
                            Today, to 'prove' the point, I deleted the remote.conf file and attempted to re-copy it to the .config folder - same result as you ????
                            Let me work on that for a bit
                            The properties are showing 'read-only' but so far don't see how to enable it to write

Comment

OK - close out STFP for now (I'll have to come back to that later - don't know what's going on there)

In Windows Explorer, go to 'Quick Access' and type \\192.168.5.52 (which appears to be your local address per your image above)
                              Your CoreELEC file system should show
                              Navigate to the ConfigFiles* Folder and paste your remote.conf file.

*Note it will be ConfigFiles NOT .config in this view

Reboot CoreELEC and test first the AM6 remote (within line of sight) then the Bose Remote.

Edit - I recall now I had this same issue before and actually posted on CoreELEC (with no reply)
                              I was sure I used the SFTP transfer yesterday - maybe I didn't and had just used the Windows Explorer Quick Acces as described above (and indeed at time of my original issue per the CE question)
                              The question still remains why can't write using SFTP ..................
                              Last edited by DEcosse; 07-17-2020, 20:19. Reason: Added Info

Comment

These is something fundamental in the SFTP program that is inhibiting writing - sincere apologies for the miscue on that.

These two work well -

WinSCP is a free file manager for Windows supporting FTP, SFTP, S3 and WebDAV.

Both have a commander dual-pane window style config and you can navigate through each side and transfer files by simple drag n drop

* winscp confused me initially - it was not showing the hidden folders (incl .config) and I couldn't immediately see how to 'unhide' them - then saw a notation in bottom right corner indicating 6 hidden folders - clicked that et voila they appeared.
                                Last edited by DEcosse; 07-18-2020, 02:20.

Comment

Working...
                                X