Netflix on the PMID701i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mr2jaycee View Post
    Well I have cable internet supposedly at 15Mbps. I too stream netflix on my HD TV via Xbox as well and just toggle the quality depending if my daughter is using the PMID701 or not. I primarily got this tablet so that my daughter can use Netflix while I was using the Xbox for gaming, and so that she will stay off my Transformer 101, (there's always new unexplained scuffs and scratches when I get it back from her, even when it's in a full case) otherwise she's watching Netflix via the Xbox. It is a pain to toggle the quality back and forth, but it's better than not being able to use the tablet for the primary purpose that I bought it for.
    See I've been wondering how long it takes changes to the Video Quality settings in Netflix to take effect. I would doubt it is instantaneous.

Just in case I need to wait awhile for changes to take affect I decided to change these one last time and then wait awhile. I set my Netflix account it to it's lowest setting several hours ago and it still hasn't changed how Netflix runs for me.

Personally I don't think this is bandwidth issue for me...at least not on the server side of Netflix.

Comment

How's the BBB complaint coming along EnzoMatrix? Any response from ST/Polaroid yet? I applaud that you did pursue that venue to get some sort of resolution and was about to the same if this last tweak didn't work out.
      Under *WHAT* grounds do any of you have a complaint? ST/Polaroid/Biglots isn't offering anyone acess to Netflix via the tablet whatsoever, and none of you have any sort of contract stating such a thing.

As has been pointed out, the box the tablet comes in *DOESN'T EVEN MENTION NETFLIX SUPPORT*. The nearest thing to it says *Watch videos on YouTube*

Setting aside the issue of why anyone would want to subscribe to services like Netflix with their crappy compressed video streams (and yes I can see the video compression artifacts, when watching it over a friend's house and doing so pretty much gives me a headache), exactly where did this idea of any form of official support for Netflix on the tablet come from?

Google? Nope. ST/Polaroid/Biglots? Nope. The Netflix app on the tablet is like most of the Bloatware Apps you get on Laptops from places like Walmart or BestBuy. Unsupported.

Netflix? Most likely one word. Unsupported.

Mostly likey what you've got here is issues between your various routers and the tablet
      wi-fi connection when it comes to dealing with things like streaming video.

Could be Netflix software (which would explain why the older versions seem to work better than the newer version),router settings,hardware,firmware,time of day,ect,ect,ect.

Comment

Originally posted by c,lei View Post
        Under *WHAT* grounds do any of you have a complaint? ST/Polaroid/Biglots isn't offering anyone acess to Netflix via the tablet whatsoever, and none of you have any sort of contract stating such a thing.

As has been pointed out, the box the tablet comes in *DOESN'T EVEN MENTION NETFLIX SUPPORT*. The nearest thing to it says *Watch videos on YouTube*

Setting aside the issue of why anyone would want to subscribe to services like Netflix with their crappy compressed video streams (and yes I can see the video compression artifacts, when watching it over a friend's house and doing so pretty much gives me a headache), exactly where did this idea of any form of official support for Netflix on the tablet come from?

Google? Nope. ST/Polaroid/Biglots? Nope. The Netflix app on the tablet is like most of the Bloatware Apps you get on Laptops from places like Walmart or BestBuy. Unsupported.

Netflix? Most likely one word. Unsupported.

Mostly likey what you've got here is issues between your various routers and the tablet
        wi-fi connection when it comes to dealing with things like streaming video.

Could be Netflix software (which would explain why the older versions seem to work better than the newer version),router settings,hardware,firmware,time of day,ect,ect,ect.

Don't even get Enzo started on this... I don't know if it was this thread or the other Netflix issue thread, but it got pretty ugly, really got off topic, and got extremely personal.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of whether or not there is any grounds for the complaint, but I guess that up to the BBB to decide, isn't it? Enzo's (and anyone for that matter) is entitled to at least file a claim and present evidence to support said claim. I was just merely asking for a status update, I didn't mean to stir up the argument again...

Comment

Originally posted by SingleDad View Post
          See I've been wondering how long it takes changes to the Video Quality settings in Netflix to take effect. I would doubt it is instantaneous.

Just in case I need to wait awhile for changes to take affect I decided to change these one last time and then wait awhile. I set my Netflix account it to it's lowest setting several hours ago and it still hasn't changed how Netflix runs for me.

Personally I don't think this is bandwidth issue for me...at least not on the server side of Netflix.

I got immediate improvement after I changed the settings... just changed the settings on the website, exited the Netflix app, started it up, and it was no longer locking up or freezing.

Comment

Don't even get Enzo started on this... I don't know if it was this thread or the other Netflix issue thread, but it got pretty ugly, really got off topic, and got extremely personal.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of whether or not there is any grounds for the complaint, but I guess that up to the BBB to decide, isn't it? Enzo's (and anyone for that matter) is entitled to at least file a claim and present evidence to support said claim. I was just merely asking for a status update, I didn't mean to stir up the argument again...
            Here we go again
            Quite frankly who cares if he has the grounds for a claim. I agree with mr2jaycee. It's his choice to do what he feels he has to do to resolve the situation. It's up to the BBB to decide whether his complaint has any merit.

That being said. Here I go again. Most of us realize the BOX doesn't advertise Netflix capability. Nor have I personally seen any ads promoting Netflix capability. For like the 2nd or 3rd time I will state I am 100% positive beyond a shadow of a doubt that the owner's guide for the 701C not only specifically mentions Netflix....it recommends installing the Netflix app for streaming video above all other apps!

I did plenty of online research before buying. I did see some people having issues getting it to run Netflix. Like many others I assumed it had more to do with user error, or a crappy connection speed.

When I downloaded the PDF version of the 701C owner's guide before buying I read the part that specifically recommended Netflix. That's what convinced me the tablet would run Netflix and that's what pushed me off of the fence to go buy one.

Is a PDF version of an owner's manual advertising? Nope. Am I personally going to deal with a BBB complaint? Nope.

Instead I'll do what any American who doesn't take formal action does. I'll get p!$$ed off and do everything I can in my power to make my purchase do what the effing owner's manual says it can. When I've exhausted all other options I'll exercise my final act of good old American consumer activism and use a little creativity and ingenuity to ensure the defective piece of crap gets returned and I get a properly functioning product or my money back.

Comment

Originally posted by SingleDad View Post
              Here we go again
              Quite frankly who cares if he has the grounds for a claim. I agree with mr2jaycee. It's his choice to do what he feels he has to do to resolve the situation. It's up to the BBB to decide whether his complaint has any merit.

That being said. Here I go again. Most of us realize the BOX doesn't advertise Netflix capability. Nor have I personally seen any ads promoting Netflix capability. For like the 2nd or 3rd time I will state I am 100% positive beyond a shadow of a doubt that the owner's guide for the 701C not only specifically mentions Netflix....it recommends installing the Netflix app for streaming video above all other apps!

I did plenty of online research before buying. I did see some people having issues getting it to run Netflix. Like many others I assumed it had more to do with user error, or a crappy connection speed.

When I downloaded the PDF version of the 701C owner's guide before buying I read the part that specifically recommended Netflix. That's what convinced me the tablet would run Netflix and that's what pushed me off of the fence to go buy one.

Is a PDF version of an owner's manual advertising? Nope. Am I personally going to deal with a BBB complaint? Nope.

Instead I'll do what any American who doesn't take formal action does. I'll get p!$$ed off and do everything I can in my power to make my purchase do what the effing owner's manual says it can. When I've exhausted all other options I'll exercise my final act of good old American consumer activism and use a little creativity and ingenuity to ensure the defective piece of crap gets returned and I get a properly functioning product or my money back.
              Interestingly (in a morbid sort of way I suppose), the Netflix App on Amazon marketplace has the same version number as the one in Android Market, but the release date for the Amazon app says October 26, 2011 whereas the android one says April 12, 2012.....
              Not sure what, if any difference this makes to anyone......
              https://public.bay.livefilestore.com...ion.png?psid=1

Comment

Netflix Problem

You make a good point there EnzoMatrix.
                I think that the reason that it has problems with netflix is that the system drops network packets.
                I have seen that the unit does not work with any wireless network 100% but what does.
                My tablet *DOES* lose wireless connections all the time.
                The amount of its dropping of wireless frames is every 5 to 30 mins depending on the network load.
                So there is a major problem with the device that most do not see if you do not use a network load hog like netflix.
                I hold more than one computer certification I have three MCPs and I have C-tech cabling certifications in standard network cabling along with fiber optic.
                I know that I don't have a lot of time to work on this stuff as much as some of the users here.
                Anyway I think that it is a driver problem, on the transport layer of the driver , or the application layer of the ip stack.

Originally posted by EnzoMatrix View Post
                Yeah, like this thread was really productive? Name ONE accomplishment.
                1) "And I'm sorry if you install third party software, this is no longer fully supported by the oem." Broken English, much? So, according to your statement when I install 3rd party software on my Blackbird it is no longer supported by HP? ROFFLMAO IF you had spent a Single day in tech support you would know that is a lie.
                2) AGAIN I NEVER said it was the buffer... AGAIN I have repeatedky said HOW it USES said buffer. IF the bus between the SD card and the mobo is too narrow that would explain ALL THE PROBLEMS and THAT is a design problem = Polaroid

EXACTLY You Prove my point, you have ALTERED YOUR PRODUCT, that negates your experience. MOST customers are not willing to 'brick' their purchase just to TRY to get ONE program working and no where does it say you 'root' your device to get videos to work.
                Next, just because you saw it @ biglots does not mean it is ONLY sold there, that is cyclical thinking.
                Oh, and Been Still My Heart, head is "done with me". Two pages and NOTHING contributed. Evidently you simply MUST 'root' your device and void the warranty. As well, I am not some ditto head who runs back to the store whenever something doesn't work properly. I have worked with HP to improve performance on two different computers I purchased.
                LEGALLY the blame falls squarely on Polaroid because of branding.
                I have TRIED SEVERAL TIMES to; share findings, give suggestions, and contribute but I will not support "just return it" or 'rooting'. The pathway of least resistance is sedom the path to a largely viable solutions.
                Let's face facts, HOW are my comments prohibiting a solutions, N O T. If there were solutions they will happen indepenent of what I do or say, that is a sophomoric notion.
                I have worked on/with computers since 1974 when I started playing a Star Trek game on a teletype machine I rebuilt via a 'phone crade' connected to the mainframe @ Baylor medical. As a Ham Novice I assisted running phone patches between families and their sons in Vietnam. In the mid 80's I worked on asynchronous automatic call distribution systems as they replaced 'cord boards' in telephone answering services (Tel-Us LTD, Beverly Hills, CA). I have been involved with electronics and data since vacuum tubes, Heathkit and DuMont.
                For adults it is not about 'liking' a product (like apple fanboys contributing to slave labor and deadly working conditions) it IS about making a corporation RESPONSIBLE. That takes courage, conviction, tenacity, a touch of verbal acuity and linguistic legerdemain.

Comment

Originally posted by m0dzyz View Post
                  You make a good point there EnzoMatrix.
                  I think that the reason that it has problems with netflix is that the system drops network packets.
                  I have seen that the unit does not work with any wireless network 100% but what does.
                  My tablet *DOES* lose wireless connections all the time.
                  The amount of its dropping of wireless frames is every 5 to 30 mins depending on the network load.
                  So there is a major problem with the device that most do not see if you do not use a network load hog like netflix.
                  I hold more than one computer certification I have three MCPs and I have C-tech cabling certifications in standard network cabling along with fiber optic.
                  I know that I don't have a lot of time to work on this stuff as much as some of the users here.
                  Anyway I think that it is a driver problem, on the transport layer of the driver , or the application layer of the ip stack.
                  Or it could be the wireless router you're using itself, especially if you bought one of the earlier models like the Linksys WRT120N Wireless Router that offered what could be considered the alpha/beta version of the wireless "N" protocol/standard *- IEEE 802.11n (draft)* before it was actually approved as a official standard.

See the following article:
                  PC World Analysis: Deconstructing the Draft 802.11n Wi-Fi Hype

Last edited by c,lei; 05-19-2012, 12:20.

Comment

ChainFire 3d

Since we have partial (and full if we follow the instructions) rooted tablets, I decided to install Chainfire's 3d driver to see if I could make a difference on the default netflix app (updated to 1.81 as of a few days ago btw). With the option "Reduce texture quality" enabled, I see a marked improvement in playback fluidity, no video choppiness, etc. With the option disabled, the netflix operates as several people noticed-with choppy video...

YMMV but I wanted to post this in the hopes it might help others.

One note-if you're going to play 'Angry birds' (or other games??? who knows-haven't tested) you have to have this option 'disabled' otherwise you'll have corrupted graphics.
                    https://public.bay.livefilestore.com...ion.png?psid=1

Comment

I think m0dzyz has reached the problem with our device, dropping packets due to the device driver or device design shortcomings. This conclusion fits the symptoms most of us are having.
                      Router, good question! I use a Cradlepoint MBR1200 with the most recent firmware. I use the WiFi for my; Xbox 360 slim, and one of my notebooks. On both devices I stream Netflix in HD with no problems or rebuffering. I also play and update WoW, SWTOR and several more MMORPGs flawlessly. So, good question and thank you for asking.
                      Last, my complaints. First I encourage everyone (here and anyone you know) to take a few moments to share your voice. The answer I have received was expected and usual business. They are unaware of this as a widespread problem and suggest simply returning thr device to retail outlet for replacement. Horsefeathers.
                      Being one voice may been noble but hardly efective. The more Polaroid and Stelcom have to answer, the more the BBB, FTC, and Attorney Gerneal Office get comlaints, the better it is for US the consumer.
                      I appreciate everyone here contributing, and refuse to 'get negative'. Again, Thank You to everyone that posts and tries to help.

Comment

Oh, the complaints; to BBB, FTC and Attorney General offices can been done on line in a matter of moments. No letters or difficult work. They are professional and try to help. My experiance? These companies are willing to pay attorneys BEFORE investing time in programing and updating. Reason? Not known to anyone but business people, attorney fees are Tax Deductible. Hence, what they pay to fight us is paid for by tax payers.
                        Sweet deal, for them.
                        Thanks again for all the posts and suggestions. We don't know if we don't ask.

Comment

I've ran into some movies that have issue (freezing, staggering, etc..) and some that stream just fine (have same issues on some PCs) I wouldn't say it's Porariod's fault because it doesn't completely 'not' work. As mentioned before it's more of on the app side of things so maybe Netflix needs to be doing an update to further add to their compatibility.

Sent from my Polaroid PMID701i using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
                          X